Axe-Fx II - Multiple High Gain Re-Amps

In the defence of the G1 - you can get it to sound like this and more. But then you'll have to use nebula programs, and not IRs for the cabs - IMO that combination seals the deal! But these clips are great! Almost GAS inducing... :)

What nebula programs are you talking about?
Let me know everything about it :)

Glad to help out and fuel the GAS! As I listen to these clips, I can't help but repeat that they could all be made better with some simple tweaking. This was a simple no tweak exercise. I'll post some more clips soon once I have a chance to dig into these further. That Cameron is a badass and I think the clip here only scratched the surface. I'm gonna need to dial that one up from scratch and see what it can do. Also, the Friedman is just sick now when you crank the master, but I don't think it's best suited to this clip.

To the question someone asked about which cabs were on these patches, I think that can be seen by downloading the latest Axe-Edit and loading them up using the AxeII profile.

Is there no speaker/cabinet emulation with these clips?

My real SLO-100 into a Mesa 3/4-back Celestion C90 1x12 at low volume sounds better than all of these.

Not sure I'll ever be impressed by high gain models.

Last edited:
As I'm sure you're aware of.... the Soldano SLO-100 is probably one of the most recorded amps of all time. Here's some random clips on NetMusicians.org for your pleasure. Be sure to check out The Thrill is Gone and the clip at the top of Page 2.

Clips of my amp? Well I prefer the Sennheiser e906, but I don't have any audio in interface at this time, but.... you got me thinkin.. maybe I will just try routing it into this laptops mic-in just for kicks. Hmm... Maybe I'll route the "Raw Guitar.mp3" track into its input... hehe.. Will post in a new thread.

Last edited:
Not sure why my clips would be any better than the thousands or more out there, but I'm sure they'll have more depth than what I've heard out of the Axe Fx, but that doesn't mean I probably won't buy one. Don't take it personally... I'm not the only one who thinks modelers can't do high gain sufficiently.

And to be honest, I would have thought you would have found in your research that its just "good enough" but "not quite there". Same as most of your customers. Perhaps I'll just keep my comments to myself for now on.

Last edited:
I listened to many of those clips that you linked and, IMHO, none of them sounded any better than what I routinely hear from the Axe-Fx.

So, unless you can produce clips better than those, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

Well you're obviously biased and defending your baby so I won't go out of my way and waste my efforts. I'm just voicing my own personal opinion. I hear more "chug" from my rig at super low volumes (with gain/EQ controls at noon) than any "chug" in any of those clips. Which is why I was wondering about the cabinet/speaker emulation.

Last edited:
I emphasized real, because my amp is a real SLO-100 and not a modeler. Baaah.. Some of you guys just don't seem to want to recognize that (atleast two I know of) some artists are using REAL amps with their Axe Fx because they prefer the tone of their real amps.

Well you're obviously biased and defending your baby so I won't go out of my way and waste my efforts. I'm just voicing my own personal opinion. I hear more "chug" from my rig at super low volumes (with gain/EQ controls at noon) than any "chug" in any of those clips. Which is why I was wondering about the cabinet/speaker emulation.

are you talking about in a room hearing more "chug" or a recording of it

I'm talking at volumes so low that the room and cabinet don't even come into play. You can easily talk or hear a TV over it. Barely any volume at all and there is still chug. All gain/EQ controls at 5/noon. The SLO-100 is a special amp, there's just no doubt. There is even sustain (and bloom depending) at low volumes. I imagine other amps are also capable, I just stopped looking after the SLO-100, Mesa and Marshall don't cut it for me.

Sorry for thread-jacking, it wasn't my intention. I still want an Axe Fx and a fan of the technology.

Last edited:
Mr_You, no apologies necessary. I just want to reiterate that this was a really quick and dirty reamp test and not an amp shootout. On the offhand chance that you're genuinely interested and not just here to bash the Axe-Fx, I'd encourage you to provide a specific clip of what you're talking about and get me an IR of the cab in question or at least recommend a suitable one in the Axe-Fx.

I love how Mr_You gets bashed for stating his experience and opinions. I love this forum, I love my newly acquired Axe Fx Ultra. Its a wonderful device. That being said, I still get more thrill out of sitting in front of my Laney GH50L and riffing. That chunk, thump and feel of tone hitting me in the chest is the best feeling ever! Maybe after I spend time tweaking my Ultra and run it through my poweramp, it will sound somewhat similar but right now its not there. Thats the beauty of a real amp.

These clips are awesome. If someone has an Ultra, please do a one on one comparison because while these clips do sound great, I don't think the tone is something that cannot be achieved on Gen 1 units.

Back
Top Bottom