Axe-Fx II MK-I: Fan Size

Clever idea!

If you really want to isolate the fan you can cut out a little square frame from thin plastic, attach that to the standoff’s mounted on the lid, then rotate the fan 45 degrees , and use the little silicon mounting plugs that came with the fan. This makes the fan totally “floating” from the lid with several elements of dampening and isolation.

I found a portion of the fan noise is really the metal lid vibrating. FAS doesn’t mount the fans to the lid anymore even.

It’s not a pretty DIY but it gets the job done and is cheap/free

Those silicon tabs that come with the fan are hands down the best mounting option to use When possible

If you really want to isolate the fan you can cut out a little square frame from thin plastic, attach that to the standoff’s mounted on the lid, then rotate the fan 45 degrees , and use the little silicon mounting plugs that came with the fan. This makes the fan totally “floating” from the lid with several elements of dampening and isolation.

I found a portion of the fan noise is really the metal lid vibrating. FAS doesn’t mount the fans to the lid anymore even.

It’s not a pretty DIY but it gets the job done and is cheap/free

Those silicon tabs that come with the fan are hands down the best mounting option to use When possible

I think I understand what you mean. Use something like a thin piece of square plexiglass, then drill four holes in the corners to mount it on top of the existing rubber mounts. Then drill four holes, rotated 45 degrees, to mount the silicon mounting tabs that came with the fan. Then install the fan on the tabs. Interesting idea!

The way it is now, the fan at medium speed is barely audible with the lid on. However, I'm a bit concerned about the air movement at the lower speed. I'll give your idea a try, then hopefully I can run the fan at full speed and see how quiet it is.

Thanks

Yes exactly that. Those silicon mounting tabs need a fairly thin matieral with a hole to mount into/thru so I used a cut up food storage container but lots of possible choices. I just used that since I was able to easily cut it.

Makes a big difference though not having vibrations transferred down a bolt and into the lid.

Clever idea!

If you really want to isolate the fan you can cut out a little square frame from thin plastic...

The frame has to be open in the middle, so the air can be drawn into the fan, correct?

I managed to cut a square piece of plastic, that’s the perfect thickness, but it would be really hard to cut a square out of the centre of it because it’s fairly brittle.

Yes, you want at least a circle shape in the middle so the air can flow through

Mounting the fan too close to the lid also reduces air flow, so by having a little more space between it quiets the air flow a tiny bit extra

Actually I take back what i said about a frame for the fan! That was my original design but what I actually ended up doing was just making little tabs, about 3/4” long, with two holes. One bolted to the lid mounted standoff bolts, then the silicon mounting tabs went into the other holes, basically rotating the fan like 30 degrees or so

The little “tabs” only needed to be like 1/3rd” wide so didn’t block any airflow into the fan and were easier to make and as I could slightly pivot them I didn’t need that much precision in drilling the holes even

Sorry didn’t think of that sooner, been a few years since I did mine

I used some rubber ropes meant for hanging a hard drive in a computer case so it doesn't transfer resonance to the case. I mounted the 60mm fan angled between the posts then wrapped the rubber ropes around and between the posts and fan and finally put the nuts on the bolts to keep it all in place. It's not silent but it is a lot less noisy than the fan normally.

IMO the cooling solution on the Axe-Fx 2 is a crap design. Anything but the lid would have been a better place to mount the fan.

I did a similar idea but used a bunch of elastic hair ties to hold the fan in a stretch “cage” of sorts.

It worked pretty well, but I found that there was still a little lid vibration. For a fabrication free approach it does help a good deal.

In all honestly though if your doing as much work as you are I’d got for a 80mm fan upgrade. Better cooling as a lower rpm and a lot less noise, like 1000rpm less.
FAS quickly ditched the 60mm fans it seems

Back
Top Bottom