Axe Fx II might not be for everyone

No product is for everyone.

Yep.

Although the presets are pretty good, if he's non-discerning, then they should work for him just fine. I know lots of folks who bake (i'm in Colorado for sin's sake), and most of those folks have no problems using their skulls to work an amp.

Seems to me if he just wanted a few easy presets and jam out, so many other less pricey options.

I disagree! Fact # 1: AxeFx is for everyone they just don't know it yet;)
Fact 2: your friend is an idiot and lacks the ability to make good decisions. The end.
Ok ok I'm sorry I'm just joking. But cmon....

Some people don’t use the Axe-FX for weed reasons. I don’t smoke weed for Axe-FX reasons. :D

For the record, I don’t care what anyone chooses to do with their free time or what substances they indulge in. But when it impedes their ability to function somewhat normally, I’ve gotta question their choices.

Last edited:
If weed took my ability to Axe FX away I would probably just quit music/life and become a truck driver or something. No offense to any possible truckers around here.

I disagree! Fact # 1: AxeFx is for everyone they just don't know it yet;)
Said in jest, but there's a certain truth to this.
If you can dial an amp, you can dial an Axe FX. It can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. I think the thing that lets it down, and where people fall at the first hurdle is quite possibly the front panel UI. I use Axe Edit so it's a non issue.

People annoy me when they say that "modelling isn't for me and I prefer a regular old amp and pedals" by way of justifying why they sold their Fractal. This is my biggest bug bear, "I don't like modelling because this and because that". In truth, I think most of these guys don't bother to research things like FRFR and the way modelling works with IRs and micing etc.

They expect it to sound great out of the box, effortlessly. It never works like that with these things. I've got superb results with it because I learned how to use it properly.

I've loved my AxeFx since the original Ultra and now the II (Mark I) as a great practicing and jamming tool all these years. Now that I've gotten more into recording my own songs, it's become even more valuable for tracking, especially with the SPDIF dry option. I have a good H&K Grandmeister, 65 Amps Cab with a great Royer/SM57 combo and I do break that out in certain scenarios (usually solos), but nothing beats being able to grab a guitar, plug it into the AxeFx and start tracking. It saves so much time and I always get great tones.

Said in jest, but there's a certain truth to this.
If you can dial an amp, you can dial an Axe FX. It can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. I think the thing that lets it down, and where people fall at the first hurdle is quite possibly the front panel UI. I use Axe Edit so it's a non issue.

People annoy me when they say that "modelling isn't for me and I prefer a regular old amp and pedals" by way of justifying why they sold their Fractal. This is my biggest bug bear, "I don't like modelling because this and because that". In truth, I think most of these guys don't bother to research things like FRFR and the way modelling works with IRs and micing etc.

They expect it to sound great out of the box, effortlessly. It never works like that with these things. I've got superb results with it because I learned how to use it properly.
All true! It's almost like saying, "These touch screen smartphones just aren't for me there's just something about an antenna phone I'm going back to the zach morris phone

Agreed, the black box is not for everyone.
If someone is used to push one button on his amp to go from “bright” to “normal” and he watches me doing the same on my AX8s front panel he may be put off, baked or not. Nothing wrong with that.
I like my black box like an old friend by now, but like with some friends who have their quirks it’s (and their) user interface can be improved. So I like it even more.

Last edited:
lol all the stereotypical comments about cannabis use....

Something I've observed.
- lazy people do not need any drugs or alcohol to be lazy. They will be lazy at any opportunity.

- those that have no patience will always prefer a simple head/cab style setup.

- judgmental know it all holier than though guitar players are a dime a dozen....

Who lays down that much money for an Axe and has absolutely no concept what they're getting into?

Honestly, who cares? Not directing this post to you, only the notion/concept. I couldn’t care less about what any other person wants to use for their passion and fun.

I know what I like and that’s all that matters to me. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy people with similar interests… I do, but I’m not gonna argue about it ever. That goes for politics, sex, religion, firearms, golf, cars and anything else.

I don’t understand what the Icky-sticky hydroponic chronic has to do with any of this... <puff puff pass>

Yeah, this has nothing to do with smoking weed. Some people just can't teach themselves things. I have one friend who just got his driver's licence and first car at 23 and would just leave his bass in his car 24/7. Well it started getting really cold and he came to me upset saying that he thinks he screwed up his bass because all the strings are buzzing. I knew it was from the cold and started looking at the bass to see if it needed a truss rod adjustment or something. Well it turns out it just needed to be.... tuned. Yes, this guy I know doesn't tune his guitar like ever and the strings were so floppy you couldn't even play it. The same guy saw our bassist's rig and was mind blown that he had a tuning pedal. He didn't know tuners came in pedal form.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with smoking weed. Some people just can't teach themselves things. I have one friend who just got his driver's licence and first car at 23 and would just leave his bass in his car 24/7. Well it started getting really cold and he came to me upset saying that he thinks he screwed up his bass because all the strings are buzzing. I knew it was from the cold and started looking at the bass to see if it needed a truss rod adjustment or something. Well it turns out it just needed to be.... tuned. Yes, this guy I know doesn't tune his guitar like ever and the strings were so floppy you couldn't even play it. The same guy saw our bassist's rig and was mind blown that he had a tuning pedal. He didn't know tuners came in pedal form.

This guy can't be real...

(i'm sure he is, idiocy knows no limits)

lol all the stereotypical comments about cannabis use....

Something I've observed.
- lazy people do not need any drugs or alcohol to be lazy. They will be lazy at any opportunity.

- those that have no patience will always prefer a simple head/cab style setup.

- judgmental know it all holier than though guitar players are a dime a dozen....
These guys aren't just guitar players, it's a musician thing I think. I know a ton of cocky ars drummers and bassists as well. I know a sax player who is the epitome of this. A fiddle player with the same attitude that smirked and looked at me like I had antlers after i asked him to join a few of us for a jam the following weekend. Cocky lil dhead mtrfkr! Sorry ok rant over

There's all kinds of people out there, some can get their head around technology just fine, some can't do up their shoe laces, everything in-between and beyond.
Why would you spend that much $ without knowing what you're getting into?
Because you believed some hype someplace, or someone somewhere, or saw something or heard something, because you were really GAS-ing man, etc etc..
Some folk smoke too much pot for their own good.
Some folk drink too much for their own good.
Some etc etc.
Really, the question isn't why does someone do that or this, or can't do this or that, or won't do this or behave like that, or etc, it's how will i/can i interact with this person in a way that'll enhance both our lives, and in turn those around us.
And sometimes the answer to that question is to not interact at all.

Back
Top Bottom