Axe-Fx II Mark I - not booting anymore

The_Logod

Hey folks,

my trusty AxeFX II Mk. 1 has been acting strange over the past days - freezing randomly, though a restart would solve the issue so far. Today it froze again - I tried to turn it off and on again but ever since then it won't boot up. The display lights up but doesn't display anything and the LEDs on the front-panel light up in varying combinations ...

Anyone got any clue what this could be and whether it could be fixed? I really don't wanna retire this bad boy yet - I'm still super happy with it...

Cheers,
Luke

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0743.jpg
    IMG_0743.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
I don't remember if the mkI has a recovery boot option.

I'd suggest contacting Fractal support.

FYI... Probably posting as a bug is a poor choice. I'd be surprised if this has anything to do with a bug.

I don't remember if the mkI has a recovery boot option.

I'd suggest contacting Fractal support.

FYI... Probably posting as a bug is a poor choice. I'd be surprised if this has anything to do with a bug.

Thanks for the suggestion; the wiki only mentions the Page Left / Right upon power cycling for the XL / XL+. I tried it anyway without results unfortunately.
I have contacted the European distributor who's got good reputation when it comes to support. I'll see whether they can help.

Sorry if this is not the right place to post - I didn't really think it belonged to regular discussion or any of the other sub-forums.

Is this possibly an internal battery issue? Probably not, but it’s an easy thing to replace.

I’ll definitely give it a try. I tried starting it up again this morning and to my surprise it did start, but froze again after a few seconds of running normally. So might as well be a minor issue after all - fingers crossed.

If it did that I can be a corrupt preset. There's a shortcut to start the unit with a blank preset somewhere on the wiki or in the manual.

If it did that I can be a corrupt preset. There's a shortcut to start the unit with a blank preset somewhere on the wiki or in the manual.
Support suggested two possible issues:
  1. Loose ribbon cables connecting the boards
  2. Faulty power supply
Unfortunately, #1 doesn’t seem to be the case. I will get a new power supply to install and hope it will resolve the issue.
Anyway, on the off chance that it might just be corrupt presets, could you point me towards a guide on how to start with a blank one? I couldn’t find anything.

Quick update on this one:

G66 support was awesome so far - they've sent me a new PSU (Power Supply Unit) though it didn't solve the issue. After some troubleshooting via email we've resorted to send the unit in for diagnostics and eventual repair. Let's see what's wrong with it after all ...

Another Update:

G66 checked my AxeFX and unfortunately cannot fix it; probably something on the mainboard (CPU / SRAM) broke - in any case a repair would exceed the value of the unit (which was built in August 2011 apparently).

Well, that sucks.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Did Cliff have any ideas about what might be causing that?

Since G66 in Europe dealt with it, I don't think Cliff was involved in this case; I didn't contact him specifically. I will ask G66 for more details on what they think is the issue and keep you posted...

Any updates?

I went for an FM3 and was added to the waitlist (though I’m not sure that was clever actually 😬 - having barely heard anything about the European launch).

I didn’t ask them for specifics on the defect after all - in the end I dealt with their customer service department and not with the technical service anymore. As I mentioned - I assume it can only be a faulty SRAM or CPU / Bus-issue since the unit froze randomly or wouldn’t start up at all.

Another Update:

G66 checked my AxeFX and unfortunately cannot fix it; probably something on the mainboard (CPU / SRAM) broke - in any case a repair would exceed the value of the unit (which was built in August 2011 apparently).

Well, that sucks.

I fear the day this happens to my Axe fx II Mk 1. Good luck with the FM3!

I fear the day this happens to my Axe fx II Mk 1. Good luck with the FM3!

Fingers crossed it may serve you for many more years! I was super happy with it and my GAS was 100% cured. Now I am not sure whether I should wait for the FM3 (which might be delayed even more due to the pandemic) or simply get a III. :sob::sunglasses: ...real-life problems:innocent:

Fyi, for the mark I there was a separate boot "fob" I don't remember the proper name. I bought mine from GAS ages ago and thankfully never needed to use it.

Hang in there mate, I am kinda on the same boat since I am posting my AF2 to the good G66 guys and gals tomorrow.

Fortunately, mine is still fuctional except for the USB section (anything that has to do with USB connectivity, including the audio interface) so I am thinking, best case scenario it can be fixed somehow and worse comes to worse I just won't be able to use the audio interface to record and the Axe Edit.

Whatever happens, we had a good run for 8.5 years. Bad thing is it totally spoiled me (since I was a tube amp, microphone etc guy) so since I sold pretty much everything back then as I didn't need them anymore, I bought a little Fender Mustang I (I used to have the 1st version like 10 years ago so I know what to expect) just to be able to practice and record basic ideas etc. until my baby comes back.

Shame that the timing is a little off since I am on the FM3 wait list too (EU, so I don't expect to receive an invιtation in the next 6 months) but hey, we'll survive...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom