Axe FX II Mark I getting slower since FW 17

zecure

Inspired
All,

I noticed since FW 17 that my Axe is getting slower.
When scrolling through the presets it takes much more time to move from one preset to another one.

I have to admit that most of my presets use a lot of CPU (in or around the 90%) and that I tend to have both the Cab and the Reverb block in high quality.

Am I the lone ranger or are others witnessing the same? Is it time to move to the XL (even though I read that they have same CPU) or Cliff time for the Axe FX 3 :).
Or, is it something with my Axe that needs to be fixed.

Happy to hear other views and hopefully a solution.

Tx a lot in advance

Zecure

granted, I've only had my axe for a week, but it does take a few seconds for the preset to load when I'm scrolling through presets in axe edit. Seems ok when I'm not using axe edit though, so it should be fine in a live setting, which is what I care about most

Doesn't bother me, I can wait 5 seconds when i'm sitting in front of the computer :)

There's always going to be a lag with Axe Edit - the communication takes time. As for lag changing from front dial or my pedal board, I haven't noticed any increase. Still lightning fast here. It could be that you are at 90%. That's right on the edge. I bought cab lab and blended my cabs which took me down to 80% on my presets which works great.

granted, I've only had my axe for a week, but it does take a few seconds for the preset to load when I'm scrolling through presets in axe edit. Seems ok when I'm not using axe edit though, so it should be fine in a live setting, which is what I care about most

Changing the preset in Axe-Edit will always take longer because it is referencing every value on every block in your signal chain. This has been the case for a while now regardless of FW version in my experiences.

To the OP, I am experiencing a hint of performance lag as well but it is minimal and to be expected with the number of improvements FW 17 brought. One suggestion I have is to recreate some presets that ARE NOT upwards of 90%. I mainly use mine for dual amp/cab combos with high quality reverbs & delay also, but I'm peaking at 75-85% typically. One thing that I found was removing the COMPRESSOR blocks from my previously configured presets. Eliminating some effects that you will never really use also is recommended.

If you are trying to get completely different sounds with amps in 1 preset, try the X/Y characters of the AMP/CAB blocks. That can cut down significantly on your CPU usage.

Overall it is a hint slower, but that's what happens when you get 200 amps and a crud load of cabs. Try clearing a preset and build simple at first to see if the performance increases.

to be crystal clear.. my axe is slow without using Axe edit. I just scroll on the front screen of the Axe...and that is slow !! takes a few (upto 3/4 seconds)/ or late response when moving from 1 preset to another

to be crystal clear.. my axe is slow without using Axe edit. I just scroll on the front screen of the Axe...and that is slow !! takes a few (upto 3/4 seconds)/ or late response when moving from 1 preset to another

Most likely it is the presets. Do you have an MFC or midi controller attached also?

I have an MFC attached indeed. Have impression that I have less delay when using the MFC to change presets.
And tx for the proposed hints ibanezfreak4. Will check on the compressor block.

And tx for the proposed hints ibanezfreak4. Will check on the compressor block.

Surely, when I found that the COMP block can add 5-8% CPU, I started pulling them off of my lower gain amp presets. Good luck, let us know your results!

I will, one more question, when taking out the compressor in presets does that impact your sound drastically when gigging live? Or are you compensating it it with the different comp variables in the amp block?

Back
Top Bottom