Axe FX II Mark 2 control questions (help the newbies!)

Doug Notter

Inspired
Hey all. I'm an Axe FX III user (only modeler I've ever owned) but a friend of mine recently purchased an Axe FX II Mark 2 and he's been asking me some questions I don't have the answers to so I'm hoping to get him some solid info here (I'll send him the link to this thread).

In a nutshell, he wants to have his preset changes occur through computer automation during live sets and they've apparently got that part figured out. What he'd like to do though is have a foot controller attached for a backup in case the automation fails during a set. So that's where the questions come in.

Is the MFC101 the best option for the Axe II Mark 2? Does it function like a FC for the 3 or is it more of a MIDI thing?

Important question here: If the MFC is connected as well as a computer via USB, will the MFC over ride the automation or vice versa? Or is that something that can be configured?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi!

The MFC is the most integrated controller. But it's nothing like the FCs as the MFC is "self contained" and programmed directly. It's midi...

If used in "Axe Fx mode" it will follow the Axe Fx. So, if midi is used to turn an effect on or off, the MFC button associated with that effect will reflect the state.

If used in "Axe Fx mode" it will follow the Axe Fx. So, if midi is used to turn an effect on or off, the MFC button associated with that effect will reflect the state.

Thanks for the response!

So I get what you're saying about if the axe fx is performing automated changes, the MFC will mirror what the Axe FX is doing (in axe fx mode) but what happens if you're in the middle of an automated song and for whatever reason you decide to use the MFC to make a preset or an effect change? Will it just do it but then still go to the next automated change when it comes up or would doing that kick it out of automated mode?

I think that's in a nutshell what he's trying to figure out. Like a manual over ride mid-song that can be initiated from the MFC. Is that possible?

It's all midi... There is no "automation mode". No override.

If you change presets manually and then the automated system sends a change, things might be ok or they might be completely out of whack. Entirely dependent on the circumstances.

If for example the automation tells the Axe Fx to change scenes to scene #2 because it expects that to be a clean sound but in the preset you have changed to it is a screaming lead sound that would be bad ;)

There's no way for the MFC to tell the Axe Fx to not respond to the automation.

Now, maybe you could send midi from the MFC to the automation system (via the Axe Fx) to tell it to stop sending additional changes... But that would be dependant on the setup being used.

The axe responds to midi messages whether it’s a controller or computer automation. So changing to preset 3 on the controller would work, then the next command from the computer (preset 10 or whatever) would change it as expected.

In a nutshell, he wants to have his preset changes occur through computer automation during live sets and they've apparently got that part figured out. What he'd like to do though is have a foot controller attached for a backup in case the automation fails during a set. So that's where the questions come in.

I don’t gig, but I have this exact setup for my AxeFx II and AX8. I use Bandhelper on an iPad to automate all my preset/scene changes on the II via an RJM Mastermind LT. If the automation fails or I need to manually select presets/scenes on the II, I just use the buttons on the Mastermind LT.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm the friend Doug was asking about this for. I'm shopping for a MFC for my AxeFX ll & I want to make sure I get the right one for my needs. My main concerns are connectivity. Can I simply run USB from the laptop to the AxeFX for the automated preset changes & then run a MFC into the midi in port of the AxeFX for a back up? A buddy of mine runs automated preset changes but he runs USB out of the laptop into his MFC via a USB to Midi Driver/Adapter then Midi out of his MFC to his AxeFX. Is this necessary? Will there be conflicts if I connect to both USB & Midi ports? Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.

You don't need to go from the laptop to the MFC...

But if you're planning to use midi from the MFC to the Axe Fx you can't also go midi from the laptop because there's only 1 midi IN.

You'd need a midi merge box... Which would help with any potential conflicts. However, unless you happen to use the MFC at the same time the laptop is sending midi you should be ok.

However, you could use the ethercon connector to connect the MFC and that also will power the MFC.

So MFC to Axe Fx with ethercon and laptop to Axe Fx with midi.

You don't need to go from the laptop to the MFC...

But if you're planning to use midi from the MFC to the Axe Fx you can't also go midi from the laptop because there's only 1 midi IN.

You'd need a midi merge box... Which would help with any potential conflicts. However, unless you happen to use the MFC at the same time the laptop is sending midi you should be ok.

However, you could use the ethercon connector to connect the MFC and that also will power the MFC.

So MFC to Axe Fx with ethercon and laptop to Axe Fx with midi.
I was actually planning on automating patch changes via USB from laptop. Then run a Midi foot controller of my choice via Midi in port on AxeFX just in case the automation fails. Will the AxeFX accept both the Midi & the USB inputs to control program/patch changes? I won't be using the Midi foot controller unless I need to.

I run automation from Ableton LIVE without any foot controller (clean stage), though we have two laptops running in sync in case there's a problem with one).

LIVE automates MIDI PC's and CC's which control Scenes and Pitch Block harmonies etc (as well as the Lights), and the Axe II Mk II works great!

I was actually planning on automating patch changes via USB from laptop. Then run a Midi foot controller of my choice via Midi in port on AxeFX just in case the automation fails. Will the AxeFX accept both the Midi & the USB inputs to control program/patch changes? I won't be using the Midi foot controller unless I need to.
Oh, yeah, I think that should be no problem. It's all just midi :)

Back
Top Bottom