Axe-fx II Mark 1 will no longer boot after Q3.03 update

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
Hello Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I posted anything...

Well, I've been on 3.02 for a bit now, and I finally decided to update to 3.03. Here are the steps I took.

1. Downloaded 3.03 firmware for Mark 1 and updated Fractal Bot after being prompted to do so.
2. Booted up the Axe-fx II and Fractal bot found it... pointed to the firmware and off we went.
3. Prompted to rebooted Axe-fx II and booted it back up.
4. Axe-fx booted up for about 3 seconds then turned off.
5. Attempted to boot up Axe-fx again and this time it only booted up for a split second and then turned off.
6. Disconnected the power cable from the surge protector and connected it directly to a known good wall outlet.
7. Tried another power cable with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

I just told myself that I should try to open the case to see if there are any bulged capacitors or loose cables and sure enough the red cables that plug into the power switch were loose (1 out of 4 were loose). Pushed it back in and it booted right up. It's very loose though, so it could slide right out again, any thoughts on how to keep it from slipping out again?

Glad you found the problem, that would be unpleasant indeed!

I've heard folks talk be bending the pins or other craziness to hold them tighter, but I wouldn't do that. My solution would be to take a small dab of adhesive like a silicone caulk on each end. The stuff sticks well, doesn't conduct electricity, and comes off easily when you need it to. Inexpensive, too. I don't know that this is a repairman-worthy suggestion, but it is what I would try.

As EP noted... you could get a new cable. But that's the easy way out. :)

I had a similar issue that I assumed was a power supply problem, but Charlie at support suggested that I check all of the AC blade connectors and tighten them if they seemed loose. I squeezed the female connectors gently with pliers so the male blade pushed in tighter.

That seemed to do it!

Good luck!

I just told myself that I should try to open the case to see if there are any bulged capacitors or loose cables and sure enough the red cables that plug into the power switch were loose (1 out of 4 were loose). Pushed it back in and it booted right up. It's very loose though, so it could slide right out again, any thoughts on how to keep it from slipping out again?

Hot glue gun, put a dab on there and done. I did this to my ribbon cables as well, both ends. +1 on the crimping a bit. sounds like it just worked loose, crimp it a bit, then push back on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom