Axe FX II live clean sound

RascallyLykke

Hey Guys

So i've been using the axe-fx II live for a couple of years now now. Firmware now (Quantum 1.05)
When i'm playing gigs i'm using af Strat and a Les Paul. I've tried to make 2 different setups preset wise, because the EQ is totally different from each other.
I'm having a hard time making great strat live presets. they just don't sound warm enough. I'm missing some sustain in the start presets. I know that it is not the guitar as it had just been refurbished.

My question is:
- Does any of you have any pointers for making a great clean, crunch and dirty tone for the strat ?.
- Witch amps do you prefer ?

Info: i'm currently low-cutting and hi-cutting all my presets at 120 KHZ and 8000 KHZ.
Can this be the reason i'm not getting the favored sound i want, should i do this at FOH instead ?

Thanks in advance :)

That's a pretty aggressive low cut IMO. Since you are using specific presets for the Strat, try dropping the lo cut to 80-85 Hz. You could also try lowering it even further and reduce bass with a cab block pre instead if neccessary.

I've been using the 5F8 Tweed twin for clean to light crunch.

Use the NULL mic on the Cab block, it gives your sound some body if you feel it's too thin. You might need to alter your BMT a little afterwards but I get good results like this.

Also, the cab itself is very important. I find that cab 54 (pre rola 4x12) is a good all rounder for me.

Edit: fixed predictive text typo

Last edited:
hi, i use the same, LP and Strat for live performance.
Normally i trimm my presets, about 20, for my LP but also use the same presets for my strat, however i just use the tone controls to adjust to taste during playing. That does the trick for me.
Only have 1 or 2 dedicated presets for the Strat.
I hope that can be of help, so just try during life performance, on correct volume. Maybe you'll be surprised...

Info: i'm currently low-cutting and hi-cutting all my presets at 120 KHZ and 8000 KHZ.
Can this be the reason i'm not getting the favored sound i want?

Yes. You're cutting the bass and then finding it's not "warm". Warmth is bass and especially necessary with a bright guitar like a strat. Get rid of that low-cut for your strat presets and you'll be fine.

Yes. You're cutting the bass and then finding it's not "warm". Warmth is bass and especially necessary with a bright guitar like a strat. Get rid of that low-cut for your strat presets and you'll be fine.
Totally agree here. And I would be careful about the concept of using any set EQ fix on all presets. They're very dynamic and you're not locked into one set of knobs like an amp.

Totally agree here. And I would be careful about the concept of using any set EQ fix on all presets. They're very dynamic and you're not locked into one set of knobs like an amp.
This true. Depends on the mix and genre. I typically am more aggressive with my hi-pass filter on clean guitar tracks. It's pretty common for me to hi-pass up to around 160Hz. I compensate for the low end by following up with a broadband compressor. Typically it's an optical compressor.

Felt like I was struggling with this for a long time. Try experimenting with a low cut in the amplifier section, carve out some of 85, 120 and lower with a graphic. I bring up a little midrange but be careful. Be sure to consider post/pre gain stages for where to cut and where to add.

I use a Telecaster, not a Strat and I find that it works great with most amp models. For clean I typically go for the Fender Twin model and for crunch and lead loans the Friedman HBE.
Start with an Amp and Cab block, nothing else. Once that sounds great then add other things. It's quite rare you'll need to add extra EQ blocks unless there is a mega specific tone you're after.

For fat cleans the JTM45 (and some similar marshalls) is a good idea, with a very low drive setting just before the edge of breakup.

For fat cleans the JTM45 (and some similar marshalls) is a good idea, with a very low drive setting just before the edge of breakup.
+1. For cleans I mainly use the JTM45 amp model. Paired with my SG Classic with P90's it sounds fat and cuts through the mix really well.

Can this be the reason i'm not getting the favored sound i want, should i do this at FOH instead ?

If those cuts are being made in the Cab Block, then no, that's probably not your issue.
If they're being made in the Amp Block, then yes, that's probably is your issue.

If it is the Cab Block Hi/Low cuts you're talking about, then the problem is probably with the IR you've chosen to use.

I use the Doubleverb amp type for all my hyper clean presets whether for humbuckers or single coils.
[Hey Cliff: I just noticed that with the new firmware all my clean Presets are using the "Double Verb Vib" Amp Type now.
The switch from the old "DoubleVerb" Amp-Type to the new Amp Type was done automatically via the firmware update.
Is that actually the best translation though?
I.e. Is the new "Double Verb Vib" the closest Amp Type to the old "DoubleVerb" Amp Type?
Or should I be using the new "Double Verb Nrm" Amp Type?]

For hyper-clean you may have to roll back the Input Trim a bit.
For mid-gain and hi-gain tones I tend to stick with the Mesa Mark-Series amp types because I'm most familiar with those amps, having owned several at various times myself.
For bluesy crunch I tend to use the Deluxe sims, at the moment it's the "Deluxe Verb Vib" Amp type.

These amp sims sound very much like the real-word amps they're modeled on, w/o needing to tweak *any* Advanced Amp Parameters (e.g. Hi and/or Low cuts) when the Axe is monitored via my ss power amp and EVM-12L-loaded open-back cabs.
I know this because I've played all those real amps through cabinets just like this in the past.
To recreate that via an FRFR system is tricky but requires a good EVM-12L IR to begin with.
Most IRs will require Hi and Low cuts in the Cab Block to sound musical the same way you'd have to EQ a mic signal that is from a close-mic'd a guitar cab.

I.e. Is the new "Double Verb Vib" the closest Amp Type to the old "DoubleVerb" Amp Type?

From the release notes:

Quantum 1.02
  • Added “Deluxe Verb Nrm” amp model based on the Normal channel of a Fender Deluxe Reverb. The existing Deluxe Verb model has been renamed “Deluxe Verb Vib” to distinguish that it is modeled on the Vibrato channel.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all you're replies. I'll now try to take all this input and put it to good use. i knew when bought the axe-fx it would be learning by doing and i'm amazed every time i turn it on and rev it. Sounds absolutely amazing

Again thanks guys :)

From the release notes:

Quantum 1.02
  • Added “Deluxe Verb Nrm” amp model based on the Normal channel of a Fender Deluxe Reverb. The existing Deluxe Verb model has been renamed “Deluxe Verb Vib” to distinguish that it is modeled on the Vibrato channel.

Thanks.
I did read the release notes but just forgot about that entry.

Last edited:
I only play with a strat. My strategy (see what I did there?) is to tune the bass and low-cut of the amp section to manage boominess and get the tone I want, then use the cab low-cut and high-cut as you indicate. I usually go with 110Hz or lower for the low-cut. High cut I go anywhere from 7200Hz up to about 12kHz, depending on the amp sound and whether I'm playing it alone at bedroom levels with a recording, or crank it down lower when playing loud and live). I used to use QSC K10 and found those to over-emphasize bass which led to me cutting it out of the preset on Axe, and I didn't realize this until going in a studio and hearing my thin tone via studio monitors from my direct outs. That is when I bought the Atomic CLRs.

I also use a multi-comp at the end of the AxeFX grid to add a lot of richness to the tone. For a stronger effect, try increasing the middle section Level to 9dB and leaving the other settings default (as a starting point until you are ready to explore it more). Often I add a Chorus2 block right after the amp+cab with a low percentage (like 5-7%) to add a subtle slinky/slipperyness/produced type of sound. I use Chorus 2 so it is baked into the preset, and save Chorus 1 to be controlled by the foot pedal for a more pronounced traditional chorus effect.

Amp-wise, my best versatile clean preset (with some thickness/body but not crunch) in a live band context has been built around a HiPower amp block. I almost always use 2 cabs. Playing on my own, I have found lots of other nice sounds, but I haven't had enough experience to dial in other amps well in a band context. They usually sound not so good as when I make them on my own (not quite at full volume but pretty loud), and I'm not fast enough to tune the preset in the presence of the impatient band members.

Edit: For the record, my input was based on a few firmwares from 18-19, but haven't played live with a group since I switched to Quantum firmwares.

Last edited:
I'm a strat player. From the wiki, I recently setup the normal channel of the super reverb up as a pro reverb. It has a wonderful warm and touch sensitive clean tone. Not sure it'll solve your issue but it sounds fantastic on my end! Give it a shot... Good luck.

Tons of good info here.

Here are a couple of things to think about to:
Consider the frequency of a low E string on the guitar is about 82 Hz. Your low cut is pretty aggressive. I find low cuts are helpful with really full, heavy or muddy music. It really depends a lot on the bass players tone. (YMMV.) If I think I need a cut because of resonance or muddiness with the bass guitar or keys (or kick in some cases) I put in a low cut around 60 Hz. I don't think I ever really go north of 65 or 70 with that, and as a rule I only cut what I "have to". Besides, that's what a FOH engineer is for.
(*I am however, lucky enough to have my own, so he knows how to work with me and my sound. I understand the reluctance to hand your sound over to a stranger, but the fact is, he is gonna do what he is gonna do anyway, once your on stage and he's in the booth.)
1. See what Cliff said. I think my first play would be to get rid of the low cut altogether. You probably don't need it with this guitar and clean sound. if you have issues, add back in just enough cut.
2. Play with some IR's. Don't be afraid to try some cabs that are not what you might think. Test with your ears, not your eyes or brain (Like... Fender amp, so I must have a fender cab. Not true)

2. Try the Null mic suggestion. I find it thickens things up a little.
3. Are you using the "Fat" switch? What are your amp settings?
4. Vintage Marshall type amps are wonderful clean amps. So are some of the boutique amps in the AXE.
5. Compression is a wonderful thing on a clean amp, and a multi-band can add life to your sound.
6. Try relocating the EQ in the Amp to before the Power Amp. Whole new world of tone shaping control.

Back
Top Bottom