AXE FX II Latency in Reaper

EightySix

Hi all, I'm having some trouble with wrapping my head around this one. I've checked the forums here (and other sites) and I'm not having much luck since this latency only happens when recording is armed in Reaper. It's made it impossible to begin tracking guitars for any project I want to start since it's so off-kilter.

I've updated to the final FX-II Ares firmware when I first got the unit, before doing anything else. My chain is as follows:
Guitar
v
Axe FX II XL+ > monitor speakers (it also happens if the speakers are off and I'm using headphones)
v
Laptop (via USB).

I've checked out the "Recording Latency Manual Offset in Reaper" guide on the Reaper Blog website and when he did the loopback test, he didn't need to arm the track, so I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same issue since mine is exclusive to armed tracks. I do have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 like in the video but that gives me no latency, only the Axe.

Would it work to instead use my guitar cable on one of the outs of the Axe, looped back into the front, and accomplish the loopback test that way?

I have a recording of the issue and how it sounds both with the track armed for recording and without, but I'm still new to the forum so I can't post link yet.

Any help is appreciated!

Check your buffer size in the Axe FX ASIO driver settings and in the I/O menu of the Axe II. If they are set high, you'll get more latency.

Also, if you monitor direct through the Axe FX and turn off input monitoring in Reaper, you'll have no additional latency.

And just like that, fixed :laughing:
I played around with the buffering and it absolutely was better (or worse) depending on the setting I selected.
That's perfect!

Back
Top Bottom