Axe Fx II, It's not Hype (IMO)

I don't know of any way that a demo at an Amps show could be considered "optimal conditions"... bleed from all the other rooms and amps at loud volumes would be very easy to cloud the soundfield... not making excuses, but, come on...

For ME, meaning MY preference not everyones, "optimal" conditions would be a well designed recording studio control room... for someone else, it might be a loud stage setting with a full band to jam with... or even combinations of the 2...

Like someone said before... I'm kinda glad he didn't like it too... that means ONE MORE for one of the rest of us ! ;-)

If you don't like it then don't buy it.Simple enough.I've owned tons of different gear for 30 years.I will buy one as a ultra owner and I bet I love it!

If you don't like it then don't buy it.Simple enough.I've owned tons of different gear for 30 years.I will buy one as a ultra owner and I bet I love it!

I agree, I thought it was a bit odd, that the first post from that person was almost like a warning for us not to buy the Axe II,.. lol I think most people here know what to expect from the Axe II, and with the 15 day trial how can anyone go wrong?

From what I understand, the amp show for Fractal pretty much consisted of a lot of people trying out the unit. So... did anybody actually delve deep into the effects or was most everybody interested in the amp modeling? I've heard an Eclipse side-by-side with a 1st generation AxeFX before and they were both stellar... certainly no lack of depth from either unit. My guess is that the effects weren't what was really on display at the amp show but rather it was the amp modeling. I think the they needed to hear it in a different context to make that kind of judgement about the effects... not to say they would necessarily change their mind, but if effects were an afterthought during the amp show, then it's certainly an unfair comparison.

Good observation! Yes while I was there people were more interested in the modeling more than anything else nothing was really dove into super deep. Myself I never even played through it , I was going through the editor with Fractal and seeing, what has changed, what has not, what was renamed, and what has been moved to a different menu. BTW current Fractal user’s, very small learning curve for us, so if anyone is freaked by learning a whole different unit, don’t. you will be fine.

I still don’t get the “flat and thin” comment however I was not there it really depends what was going on at the time, some people had some interesting views on tone

Last edited:
Agreed, people have a right to their opinions, and the right not to be labeled so called "trolls and morons" by the resident fan boys for Heaven's sake, give it a rest!

One thing is for certain though, one can hardly consider an Amp Show as a place to do critical listening, so for that fact alone the OP's conclusions have to be some what suspect. On the other hand, my custom tube amps have always sounded more like "tube amps" than my Ultra's amp models (DOH!, they're actual tube amps LOL?), so thoughts of "flat and thin in the room" are not completely out of line IMO (Disclaimer: I haven't played an Axe II yet), though of course I'm hoping that the Axe II's G2 technology minimizes that issue for me when I get my Axe II.

Hum... My perspective based on the info he had posted I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and, based on the posts after yours he appeared to be genuine.

It does however seem like after being blasted and labeled he no longer wants to participate in the thread and I don't blame him :roll.

I was able to audition the device today at the NY/NJ show. 4 of us heard it; one of us is very interested in this device and wanted our opinions. I must state up front that while my friend plays guitar, the rest of us played other instruments. 2 of us have done sound professionally; I am also an electrical engineer who made his first midi device in the 1980s. Just trying to give the background of the 3 of us giving our unbiased views. We compared it to the equivalent Eventide device, about 2000 dollars.

All three of us were disappointed. This was the "ultimate" setting for a presentation since, I assume, it was presented in an optimum way. Yes, this is a state of the art device. Yes, the technological strides made are very impressive. But you can really hear the difference between this and the real thing. Also, the effects lacked depth and sounded thin when compared to the Eventide. It was flat and thin. Lots of digital 'stuff' in there. I wonder if it would have sounded better without the modeling and just the effects. (The Eventide does not do amp modeling.) We didn't go back and check that. But, there are advantages. If you are into certain types of music, this does a very nice job. And let's face it, the reduced weight is a big plus. If you do it right, you can cut tons of wires and carry lots less. That reduces potential mishaps during gigs. And, if you need the sound of many types of amps, this could be adequate. And I wonder whether the phenomenon of masking makes my criticisms moot.

I know many people may disagree with me, and perhaps vehemently. Hey, if you like it, buy it. I merely suggest that you hear it first. Do not listen to recordings. Hear it for yourself.

Not criticizing this poster-but doesn't Steve Vai or Petrucci or others use their Axe FX especially for the effects???
I had the Ultra and thought the effects were always quite good.
The FW 11 really made a difference in the modeling for me.

I have tried them all (Line 6 (all of their stuff including the HD500) , Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Revalver). All do some things pretty well.
My Mesa F-50 combo still has the best feel, but the Axe Fx Ultra was getting there.

I will be buying an Axe Fx II.

It is all good.

I can see his point, especially if he's not already an axe owner. It took me a good month to get something I was happy with tone-wise...thank god for Yek and Scott Peterson or I'd still be trying to figure it out. Also, one persons dream tone is someones else's bag-o-crapola. Actual time with the unit is a big help too...it can be a bit overwhelming for a noob.

Not criticizing this poster-but doesn't Steve Vai or Petrucci or others use their Axe FX especially for the effects???
I had the Ultra and thought the effects were always quite good.
The FW 11 really made a difference in the modeling for me.

I have tried them all (Line 6 (all of their stuff including the HD500) , Amplitube, Guitar Rig, Revalver). All do some things pretty well.

I will be buying an Axe Fx II.

It is all good.

Can't argue with that lkdog. I think if any person spent some time with the axe dialing it into their own version of what sounds good, there is just NO way they could be disappointed in the effects. It's simply not possible unless you are from an advanced civilization that already has the Axe ultra 14. I swore my TC G-Force would be the last box I would ever need...it goes on ebay this week :(

What is up with a "NY Amp Show" being held in tiny little motel rooms :roll: Kind of like an over-sized ISO Cab lol. I seem to recall some West Coast Amp show recently also looking like it was held in a motel room [small.]

Who organizes these events? Perhaps the amp builders should get together and rent a more appropriate venue for presenting their products. This little "motel room" thing seems pretty tacky imho and has to be far from ideal in just about every way.

Getting my first Axe Fx & 101 MIDI Controller in less than two months. I know I am going to be very happy with it!

What is up with a "NY Amp Show" being held in tiny little motel rooms :roll: Kind of like an over-sized ISO Cab lol. I seem to recall some West Coast Amp show recently also looking like it was held in a motel room [small.]

Who organizes these events? Perhaps the amp builders should get together and rent a more appropriate venue for presenting their products. This little "motel room" thing seems pretty tacky imho and has to be far from ideal in just about every way.

Getting my first Axe Fx & 101 MIDI Controller in less than two months. I know I am going to be very happy with it!

hotels rooms are not optimal,but it's got to be better than a hall full of different amp vendors blasting over top of each other.you should try visiting Sam Ash in White Plains NY on a Saturday afternoon sometime,it's chaos.:)

Agreed, people have a right to their opinions, and the right not to be labeled so called "trolls and morons" by the resident fan boys for Heaven's sake, give it a rest!

One thing is for certain though, one can hardly consider an Amp Show as a place to do critical listening, so for that fact alone the OP's conclusions have to be some what suspect. On the other hand, my custom tube amps have always sounded more like "tube amps" than my Ultra's amp models (DOH!, they're actual tube amps LOL?), so thoughts of "flat and thin in the room" are not completely out of line IMO (Disclaimer: I haven't played an Axe II yet), though of course I'm hoping that the Axe II's G2 technology minimizes that issue for me when I get my Axe II.

It's not very polite thats for sure...

As to his review I will post again, he didn't spend enough time with the unit to really get to know it's real capabilities hence the poor review. And I agree with you to go to an amp show in a hotel room is probably not the best way to demo the Axe especially if there are a lot of people wanting to listen to it. It just more or less gives you an idea of what it can do in a general sense.

I have been guilty of doing this before, criticizing something before really giving or having the chance to give a well informed review. A Processor like the Axe deserves a minimum of a good hour or two of hands on tuning running through the amplifying device of choice.

Thin and flat are subjective and based on what the OP said it didn't sound like any of them had a chance to touch it. The 4 of them listened so it sounds like none of them had a chance to dial in anything they thought was worth listing to. At least thats what I get out of his post.

I think kenjf has the same trouble with modelling gear as everybody else has hearing a modeller for the first time.

When you listen to a real guitar amp you are hearing the loud, air pushing, unmiced signal. When you are listening to a modeller you are hearing a miced cabinet, what comes out of a PA system or what's in a recording. Once you understand this you will be much more openminded towards modelling sounds.

Last edited:
Not always, as the modeler can be played out of a guitar cab as well as FR/FRFR, which seems to be the case at that amp show since they had JBL's, Atomics, and a 4X12.

I think kenjf has the same trouble with modelling gear as everybody else has hearing a modeller for the first time.

When you listen to a real guitar amp you are hearing the loud, air pushing, unmiced signal. When you are listening to a modeller you are hearing a miced cabinet, what comes out of a PA system or what's in a recording. Once you understand this you will be much more openminded towards modelling sounds.

Good observation! Yes while I was there people were more interested in the modeling more than anything else nothing was really dove into super deep.

That's what I figured after talking to a fellow forumite on the phone after the show. It just sounded like the setting and the sheer number of people wanting to try it out didn't lend itself to anything in-depth enough to make accurate comparisons to another piece of gear or to even really explore what it was capable of. He did tell me that it was a great piece of gear and while he's very happy with his Standard (as am I), he'll be upgrading sometime in the future (as will I).

As for the rest, I'm a bit appalled at the treatment given kenjf and I hope he is able to sit down with one at some point and delve into it because if the effects on the G1 units are as good as they are, I can't imagine they'd be anything but improved in G2.

Riiiigghhhttt.............kenjf

We know, your not a guitarist. So it is clear why you can't see the superiority the AxeII has over the competition and why it is so much more appealing to a guitarist. Every product may excel in certain areas but not as a whole in regards to all in one package. The success of the Axe and it's ongoing performance is sufficient enough to stand on it's own.

To come into this forum and report on a piss poor review of your subjective POV (1st post) is uncalled for and just typical for a MORON!!!!!!!!!!

Your review was clearly in favor of Eventi???? I'm sorry but I call BS. Not just that but a Douche Bag Moron and BS!!! Bye Bye.

For god's sake, what sort of a response is that??? As someone else has commented, this forum is becoming more fanatical and elitist by the day. Subjective? Everything is subjective and kenjf's opinion, based on (what would seem) his considerable experience, is as valid as anyone else's. I love my Ultra but I have more than a passing interest in reading reviews and comments made by guys who have high-end, stand alone units like Eventide and TC and the comparison of their choruses/ reverbs/delays etc to the Axe. I can't get the spiky shrill of an MXR 117 flanger etc, and god I've tried. But it's goddamn close. It's all about compromise. Some guitarists will, some won't and I understand both points of view. However, I personally don't want an 8U rack as I used to have, I don't want all the weight and chaos of patch leads, sends/ returns etc, so I'm willing to compromise. To suggest that every amp/cab simulation, effect etc, ends with the Axe is absurd. The Axe is the best there is around, subjectively, IMO, but I am the arbiter of nothing, it just works for me. Let individuals express themselves. Great minds do not think alike and that is precisely why the Axe was created and is still evolving.

Back
Top Bottom