Axe FX II Is Freezing Randomly

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
After I've updated my Axe FX II to Firmware 16, the unit started to freeze randomly. I'm using it as my primary soundcard on both Mac OS X 10.9.5 and Windows 8.1 Pro. When the freeze happens, the input LED remain where they are for a couple of seconds and vanish afterwards, then only the top right LED turns red (I'm only using the front input for my guitar, no rear input usage). This happened on OS X and Windows 8.1, and I'm using the latest USB drivers for both OS.

Is there any chance the preset you are using is above the 90% mark? I know that can cause strange issues, and some that aren't always repeatable. Good luck with this.

Cheers,

Lee

Is there any chance the preset you are using is above the 90% mark? I know that can cause strange issues, and some that aren't always repeatable. Good luck with this.

Cheers,

Lee

Not really, I'm using a Fender double verb into a matching cab and I usually add some subtle delay and reverb to sweeten things up a bit. That way I can play guitar over backing tracks in the background (through headphones) all the while reading forum posts, release notes etc. :)

I've already tried to reinstall Firmwares 16.00 and 16.01 a couple of times with the Fractal Bot to no avail. It always freezes after a certain amount of time, sometimes after 3 minutes, sometimes after an hour...

What firmware version did you have before upgrading? Does it only do it on some presets? I had that issue with some of my presets when I upgraded to the 15.x versions. Similar things were reported by several others, but the only explanation was that it was a "corrupt preset." So, I had to rebuild my presets that were doing it starting from scratch, but that fixed it.

Regular occurance with me for many months now .... and I was actually building a preset from scratch lately using AxeEdit when it happened again. The whole preset CPU usage was only in the 50's so there was no way I was overloading anything. I'm not so sure the corrupt preset theory holds up .... well at least not 100%.

My MBP is kaput at the moment ... but it was happening with it too in previous FW versions and AxeEdit. I'm using a win7 laptop at the moment with the Axe for fw upgrades and AxeEdit work but actually always have done for about a year due to the old issue with Apple's drivers in the past. I can leave Fractal Bot connected for days without issue but with AxeEdit I get freezes at varying times ... sometimes 3 or 4 mins .... sometimes hours. It always seems to occur when I'm not actually doing any editing ... I'm playing or I'm out of the room etc.

If I want to connect to a DAW I use an audio interface as it's easier to balance the monitoring of recorded tracks and live in headphones or external monitors via it's internal mixer rather than use the Axe as the interface - so the freezing is only an annoyance during preset editing sessions for me.

I've done all the usuals .... tried umteen different USB cables, different usb ports, re-installed drivers, re-installed Firmware, reset system params, blah blah.

Incidentally, the win7 laptop works absolutely fine with all my other USB equipped gear.

C'est la vie I guess ...... I've learned to save often or take snapshots and I'll live with it ok.

Follow up to above ..... I discovered that even having the USB connected to the Axe without any programs loaded still caused the freeze at random times.

I did the procedure as described in this link below and it looks to have cured my issue (Axe connected to PC via USB for 4 hours so far with no problems).

This link is for windows 7 - but might work ok for Windows 8 too? USB Driver - General Fix for Problems - Windows 7 Help Forums

Back
Top Bottom