AXE FX II into Apollo Twin I/O Setup

indeloon85

Inspired
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone records with an Axe Fx into an Apollo Twin. This is my setup right now through my MAC into Pro Tools. I mainly just run from the analog outs from the Axe Fx into the apollo pres because I like using the 610b emulations. I saw somewhere in a forum that it is possible to setup the i/o of the axe fx and apollo so you can record the DI signal thru the USB plus use the apollo as your audio interface to record using the pres and processing. Unfortunately the post never got answered so I figured I would ask a similar question in here on if its possible to do this. I am guessing this is done thru the Audio Midi Setup making an Aggregate I/O? If anyone has had any luck or found a more benefiting way of running the two together, please let me know. Thanks!

I think setting it up as an aggregate device is your answer. I wish I could do that but my apogee duet does not support this. I have been very interested in the Apollo Twin actually. How do you like it so far?

I actually really like it. The emulation of different pres adds a bit to the signal which I love. I'll also use the aux channels in the Apollo console to monitor with reverb which is really great when you don't want to print reverb onto your guitar tracks. I had the duet, which I really enjoyed, but I love the ability of tracking with the UAD plugins. For only a couple hundred more, I think the Apollo is a great deal in what you get. I do feel the portability of the duet and having it be bus powered is a plus though.

True about the portability factor, it is a good unit but I really like the fact the Apollo's onboard dsp would help take some of the workload off my aging Mac. I bought the duet for a cheap way to get apogee converters/pres that are close to the quality of the ensemble, a step up from my Mackie onyx pres for sure, though those are pretty decent really. From what I've read the Duo pres are comparable to the duet. Well, I hope you get your issue sorted out, perhaps you should ask Chris (kastsuKuri media) on his help board. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/90281-help-us-help-you-best-practices-requesting-support-fractal-forum.html

I play my Axe through the UAD Apollo 16 then into my Mac (Pro Tools 10).
What you could do is to record your wet signal through the Apollo and the dry signal (via USB) into another computer, I tried it and had no problems at all (no I/O setup needed in the Axe).
It is possible to record both wet and dry signals into a single PC via USB, but I think it isn't possible to record both signals into a single PC through the Apollo, because you'll need to set a single audio interface in ProTools.

Hope that helps =)

I'd be interested in a way to do this as well. I've only just started using an Apollo Twin into Logic Pro X, and so far, the only way I've found that works is what indeloon is doing: going in analog, like I would with a pair of microphones. Still sounds great, though.

So I worked at it for a bit today. I did create an aggregate I/o for both put together. Ideally, I would be wanting to record the wet signal thru the Apollo while simultaneously recording the direct signal straight into Pro tools for reamping purposes. I actually got that to work, the problem I ran into was reamping with this I/o setup. It seemed to have introduced some latency issues. Also, normally with the Apollos you would want to enable the Low Latency monitoring, since you end up using UAD's console application for monitoring but with this setup, I've noticed that it doesn't mute the audio in Pro Tools when enabled. This may be just a bug with Pro Tools and can be fixed by just muting the channel when recording.

I play my Axe through the UAD Apollo 16 then into my Mac (Pro Tools 10).
What you could do is to record your wet signal through the Apollo and the dry signal (via USB) into another computer, I tried it and had no problems at all (no I/O setup needed in the Axe).
It is possible to record both wet and dry signals into a single PC via USB, but I think it isn't possible to record both signals into a single PC through the Apollo, because you'll need to set a single audio interface in ProTools.

Hope that helps =)
How to do that

Back
Top Bottom