axe-fx II & III combined, what are the options?

Cobrango

Power User
So as the price falls to stupid low on the axe-fx II, which was the most powerfull guitar preamp in the world three or four days ago, I've decided to not sell mine beacuse it's just not worth it considering what I paid for it. This had me thinking, what are the options for combining the axe-fx II with the III?

-treat the axe-fx II as a pedalboard going into the input of the axe-fx III?
-somehow combine it in the "fx-loop" using inputs and outputs
-what are your thoughts?
-have I lost my mind?
-lol, I guess I'm just cranky because I have to come up with the money somehow :p

LOL, that thought crossed my mind as well yesterday. I think it would just be overly complicated, and I don't think it would be very convenient and easy to setup a board to control them with, so I kind of let that go for the time being.

Depending on how they implement things I may keep mine and use it for the live rig with my TC50 as I am now, and just use the III for recording to start. I'm still curious as to how they are integrating the new controllers and if they can be used to control other devices via MIDI out on the Axe-FX III unit.

Time will tell. I'm not jumping on the sell quick bandwagon right now, because the market is completely saturated and prices are going to be low.

Connect II in one of the III loops then you can have 4 amps/cabs with seemless switching/crossfade

Prices will go back up. They're stupidly low now because everybodu is selling at the same time to purchase a III. I'll likely sell my II a few months after I got my III, I expect I'll still be able to get 1500ish for it. From the 2300€ new it means I rented an axe FX II for 100€ a year, not a bad deal.

Sure or use as a practice rig, or backup if the III takes a dump. I don't understand everyone selling so cheap.. makes no sense.

Right now, I have a II with an Ultra in its effects loop. Only one is in use at any time, while the other is bypassed or all shunts. I do this because I haven't yet reprogrammed all of my Ultra tones into the II and I need all of my presets to gig. If I am offered no migration path, the only reason I could see for having the II and III in my rack is to have my II tones until they can be reprogrammed in the III. But my rack has no room for the II and the III, and I'm not going to a bigger rack.

"I'm not going to a bigger rack"

That's why I stick with my old AXE II first edition. Rack 3 space 9 mm plywood, road ready, Axe FX II, Sennheiser Inear, Sennheiser Wireless and 2 x 160 Watt Stereo amp, about 18 kg all together in one case, very handy.

The II's just as great today as before the III was announced, yeah, up to 4 amps combined and having both the II and III may not be as good as having 2 IIIs, but it certainly is a good selling point for time in a studio.

Does anyone know with certainty that they are even discontinuing the IIs? With the research and development cost taken care of long ago, the possibility of further reducing the cost to build by changing to built in China, board assembled in Nashua, NH and their competition running weaker hardware, maybe they'll keep the II in the line-up at a more cost competitive price?

Anyway, the II will always sound good and seems silly to sell at a huge loss, but I understand why some want to as the III will certainly go far beyond it over the next couple years.

So as the price falls to stupid low on the axe-fx II

Just looked at the classified section. It was to be expected that the price would drop so low. What do you think would be a reasonable asking price for an Axe fx II mk1 plus MFC101 mk1?

I think the longer you wait to sell the more the price will drop. But I am not sure.

Keeping my Axe Fx II... Probably will just take it to work with a simple monitoring system. I am happy for the folks picking up a great rig at a great price. I don't sell amps or guitars... so i decided not to sell the Axe Fx II... YMMV... excited for the III.

Back
Top Bottom