Axe-Fx II - How long will it be supported?

G.O.O.D. Music

Thinking about picking up an axe fx II mark II, wondering how long I can expect it to be able to keep updating firmware and be supported in general with the Axe III already here. Any help would be appreciated?

There's final firmware update in the making and people are already thrilled about the public beta.
And....that's it, pretty sure.

Even without further updates it will continue to blow the existing competition out of the way. Don't focus on further updates if you're getting a piece of hardware that is out of production. You know it has reached the end of the cycle. If you want a product that still gets updates get the III.

And on the plus side you will be able to perfect your presets knowing they won't get turned upside down with new updates. No more damn, now I have to retweak all my presets cause the new firmware is out! Personally I thought the upgrade cycle used to be utterly insane. You'd barely got everything set right again and BAM! Another upgrade. I don't envy the people owning the III in that regard. Unless it means you get new stompbox models. I couldn't care less about Yet Another Amp Model, but a man can never have too many effects.

What about hardware support tho?
The product is discontinued. You can't buy it new...

So, hardware support for a used unit is probably limited to paying Fractal for repair services, assuming they have required parts in stock.

For someone that bought new, they have at most a 3-year warranty...

I think some parts are no longer in production, such as the encoder knob on the original II. I think this was in part what required the XL model among other things. FAS may have a stock of parts for service, but, if those parts are out, and that part breaks (not common) it may, repeat "may", be a situation where it can't be serviced.

Since I have the AXE FX III and FC-12 now, I will be selling my AXE FX II XL and MFC-101. Didn't see a lot for sale online, was wanting to get some opinions as to what would be a fair price for both units sold together? I also plan to throw in a Gator, 2 space rack, Fastlink cable, some magnetic Stomp Labels, power cables for both units, and will offer free shipping. Trying to make it a complete package with no extra costs.

Since I have the AXE FX III and FC-12 now, I will be selling my AXE FX II XL and MFC-101. Didn't see a lot for sale online, was wanting to get some opinions as to what would be a fair price for both units sold together? I also plan to throw in a Gator, 2 space rack, Fastlink cable, some magnetic Stomp Labels, power cables for both units, and will offer free shipping. Trying to make it a complete package with no extra costs.

Take a look at the for sale forum, lots listed for sale, to give you an idea of what people are asking. Most people are looking for a deal of course so it’s generally those willing to price a bit lower than everyone else that end up selling

I agree, do your market research first. Check the for sale forum, eBay and I reckon Craigs List to see what the average prices are. 2nd hand shops and music stores which sell 2nd hand gear may also be a good indicator. And keep in mind that what you want to get may not be what the market is willing to pay for. As a rule of thumb always assume market value will always be a lower then what you want to get. Now, you can aim for a higher price but then be prepared to be stuck with it for a longer time.

There are also 25 of them listed for sale on Reverb right now, some including MFC's etc

I reckon that alone would seriously cause prices to be lower. It seems like a buyer's market right now. On the Dutch Marktplaats auction site there's one XL with MFC103 on offer for €1550. Which I reckon is a fair price.

Right now the XL+ & MFC is my main rig. I have the 3 ready to go, but didn't want to take the time to program two different pedals, so once I have the opportunity to purchase a FC12, the 3 will become my main rig, and the XL+ will be my backup rig. If the XL+'s go for decent money used, I would consider selling it and the MFC in favor of picking up another 3 and FC12 so my main and backup rigs are mirrors of each other. If not, the XL+ is still a killer box and I would have no problem whatsoever hanging on to it.

Back
Top Bottom