Axe-Fx II HIGH GAIN patches - PVH 6160 and Cameron

bkrumme

Experienced
Started working on some new High Gain patches on the Axe-Fx II last night. Here are a couple I did using the PVH 6160 and Cameron amp sims.

Cabs in the Power Peavey patch are both Redwires. First is KrankLegends-R121-CapEdge-2in and second is Uberkab-T75-SM57-CapEdge-2in. You could substitute one of the built-in Uberkab sims and get close.

Cameron High: View attachment 5370
PVH 6160: View attachment 5371

Here's a clip. Guitars are double-tracked and panned about 25% left and right. Simple grind/thrash. First is the PVH and second is the Cameron. Lot's of chugga-chugga to show off how it doesn't get flubby. No PEQ or Filter blocks in these presets.

Nice. Would love to hear how they would sound running together, they sound almost like they've been dialled in to compliment each other.

Cheers.

There we have it! The first high gain metchul clip (I think!) of the Axe FX II!

Sounds nice :) I would have personally liked that "depth" knob cranked up more though, if there's such a thing on the axe 2! Lacks some low end punch!

I'm not sure if its really that superior sounding over an Ultra. Time will tell when there are more clips out there. Specially if there are one on one comparisons. Great clips man! Good work!

Why not panning them 100 % left/right.... like you´d do normally, when recording.

Just didn't sound as full that way. Since there's no drums/bass/vocals in the mix I wanted to fill the center space in the "mix" more.

Finally some high-gain samples!
I know that I'm asking too much...but can you please reamp these guitars with the Uberschall and the VH4 sims?
No problems if you can't!
Thanks!
Paolo

Why not panning them 100 % left/right.... like you´d do normally, when recording.

I used to do that on every song. Lately I'm finding that 70-75% Left and the same right sounds better for most rhythm parts. I think I did the 100% to minimize phase issues (from when I used to use mics).

Anyways, that clip sounds great, but like some people are saying - I'm not sure if it's better than the Ultra.

It's not better than the ultra, I'll give you that, but I'm thankful there's something up in the high gain category up for axe II droolers!

Please put up more!

any mp3 is rarely much better than another mp3 on tone. its why the POD sounds far more like a Axe on Youtube than it does in person. Its a completely compromised file to save space.
the many things a tiny mp3 file won't capture, like say the silence of the II with the lower noise floor, that mean a lot to high gain players, by definition are not in clips.
is anyone going to make a clip of their ultra hissing at them and then choking up the noise gate and compare it to silence without a gate from the II? : )

good clip by the way, the cameron tone was starting to remind me of old Fear Factory. with a little more tweaking, you're in Dino late 90's territory.

good clip by the way, the cameron tone was starting to remind me of old Fear Factory. with a little more tweaking, you're in Dino late 90's territory.

That's kinda the tone I'm going for. These patches literally took me like 15-20 minutes each to dial in and have sounding pretty good.

The Cameron has amazing tone, but is a little bit fizzy sounding to me, though I may be able to clear that up with a different Cab.

any mp3 is rarely much better than another mp3 on tone.

Well that depends on the bit rate / program used and other factors. If the makers of WinLame and it's testers could not tell that their highest quality mp3 was (an mp3) on $100,000 stereos...that's good enough for me, considering my equipment is worth a tiny fraction of that . Just use "Archive" settings when converting. And it's free.

It's true that the noise floor recording haha might show us something.

Last edited:
bkrumme: your tones sound great! I bet they meld well with some Superior or Slate drums behind them. Really like these tones brother!

bkrumme: your tones sound great! I bet they meld well with some Superior or Slate drums behind them. Really like these tones brother!

They do sound pretty good with SD2.0. Here's a clip of the Power Peavey double tracked with SD. It's sloppy, but will give you a good idea of the tone. No bass in the clip, would thicken it up a LOT.

Back
Top Bottom