#Axe FX II - High Gain Amp models#

clems6belio

So, got my Axe II three weeks ago, been doing A LOT of demos, mix tests etc... Indeed, this unit is amazing... We all know that.

So I've basically reamped Nolly's Ceramic Black Hawk 7 DIs , testing the models based on the EVH III, peavey 5150, dual rectifier... etc... (some tone matching at the end, Pantera's tone, Tesseract's, Periphery's and Meshuggah's (on ObZen)...

Tell me what you think of my patches ^^

(for now, just some reamping fun, but I've got a LOT more incoming )

very cool so some questions `1) you gonna upload those patches, I luv em, 2) who and what is NOlly? 3) what cabs were u using? 3) you gonna upload those patches :) ? thanks if you can

Hey !

1) Yes, I'm going to share the tone matches patches soon, for the rest I gave sufficient informations to create the patch. So YOU can create the patch according to YOUR gear ^^

2) Nolly is the actual bass player in Periphery, and the former guitarist of Red Seas Fire.
He has an AMAZING production a solid knowledge in music to create some REALLY AWESOME songs ! He's personnaly, one of my big influences in therm of modern production :)
(here is his soundcloud : Nolly's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free)

3) I've updated the soundcloud comments and gived the name of cabs too... and other informations ^^

Yeah, I'ma gonna need that Dizzi VH 4 3 patch.

Nao.

So are these just amps and cabs? Boost? EQ?

So are these just amps and cabs? Boost? EQ?

For the Dizzy patch, my chain is :
T808 MOD Drive with mid littl' boost > AMP> Stereo Cabs > Graphic EQ to remove some low end content, but depending on guitar and pickups.

You have the detail of cabs in the timed comments of the song, in soundcloud I mean >.<

I just tried to reamp the original BH7 DIs and i realized the DIs were so good.
So i tried to record the same riff with my EMG81 equiped guitars, only DIs too.
And the difference is dramatic. Is it normal ?
My DIs are raw AxeFX2's USB 3&4 outputs.
When compared to the BH7 DIs, they sound a lot darker, with much less dynamics and clarity, i would say duller (english is not my mother's language).
Is it normal or maybe my guitars have problems, or maybe my AxeFx2 inputs, or maybe my guitar cable ?

Mmmmh, actually, Nolly has a reaaally great guitar a great pickups, and EMG81 are those kind of pickups with not very much dynamic. So maybe it just comes from your pickups ?
Or if the difference is absolutely huge, maybe it comes from your gear... dunno.
Just recordsomething and upload it on dropbox or mediafire so we can hear it ^^

Sounds awesome!!

I can never get mine to sound as good though... even using your amp/cab configs. Tried adding a gate and EQ and I get super boomy tone with heaps of amp noise

Tones are great !!!
I would like to ask something about pickups. I have got an ibanez rg2550z and i play this guitar with passive pickups (stock) which is ibanez/dimarzio. So are these pickups suitable with these high gain tones? Or should i use active pickups much as EMG, Saymour Duncan etc.?

Here is the DI : (ignore the slubby playing ^^) https://dl.dropbox.com/u/109030753/di.wav

Mmhh, imo it comes from your pickups. I reamped your DI to compare. EMG81 are fine yes, but they have a poor dynamic and aren't not as mid heavy as the black hawk. Ask nolly for more infos :)

Sounds awesome!!

I can never get mine to sound as good though... even using your amp/cab configs. Tried adding a gate and EQ and I get super boomy tone with heaps of amp noise

Actually the tone, drive and mid freq of the T808 drive block are important parameters. Sometimes little tweaks give big changes of the tone. Try this maybe ^^

Tones are great !!!
I would like to ask something about pickups. I have got an ibanez rg2550z and i play this guitar with passive pickups (stock) which is ibanez/dimarzio. So are these pickups suitable with these high gain tones? Or should i use active pickups much as EMG, Saymour Duncan etc.?

It all depend of your taste, your playing style, and the genre of metal you're into.
For metallica style, those emg works great.
But in the modern metal, like djent (sorry) or prog metal, the (great) passive pickups like those bareknucles or dimarzio are into that research of "mid heavy" , "good low end" etc...
BUT Tosin Abasi and Chimp Spanner use EMG808 on their 8 strings, so it depends of your taste !
Ask nolly for infos, he'll probably kindly respond to all your interogations on his formspring :D

Is it weird that I'm more interested in your bass patch/chain?

Haha, absolutely not ! But this is not MY bass chain, it's nolly's !! I just reamped his DIs haha, so HE made the backing track with bass and drums !

Here is the originals : Black Hawk 7 - Alnico vs. Ceramic by Nolly on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
And here is the backing track you (will) love. Dat bass = Instant boner : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/790683/Nolly - Alnico VS Ceramic Black Hawk.zip

Really good job. Thanks for taking the time to do all that reamping. I know it can be tedious.

Yes, I know who Nolly is. Yes, I realize this is not you or your band.
Good god people...

Back
Top Bottom