Axe-FX II: Hendrix - Watchtower

Thanks Tyler, will give it a shot with your patch as with my small band we do this song in a much more blues-rock way. The recording is very good !

Tyler,
Great playing and really nice Watchtower patch! I just checked out your site - very cool. I really liked your videos - really great sounding - and your playing is superb! Thanks for making the patch available.

Wow! Love it, spot on tone.

All I would do is add a modifier to a pedal for all the crazy delay and effects he does towards the end..

Sounds awesome BUT sounds nothing like Jimi's studio version...not even close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimi used the middle position on a guitar that prob wasn't even a strat. I can hear this and know right off the bat that you used a strat style guitar in the neck position.

I'm not quite sure why you chose your very first post on a forum to post something negative, but I suppose thats your choice.

I don't claim to be exact, but to say that its "not even close" seems a bit unreasonable. There are neuances that I didn't capture 100%, but considering I don't have the EXACT recording specs (mics used, mic placement, amp setting, studio reverb settings/type) and that I'm not using a late 60s strat into a vintage recording console to tape in a million dollar studio... I think its extremely close.

Here is my recording and the real recording back and forth.

Don't forget, the backing track isn't at the same quality as the real recording either which throws off the balance.

Sounds awesome BUT sounds nothing like Jimi's studio version...not even close

I had a go at this sound once. It's SO difficult. There doesn't seem to be a defining feature. It seems to sustain, attack and decay like a sound that has a lot of gain, but doesn't sound very gainy if you know what I mean? I'm not even sure I know what I mean tbh :?

Hendrix is often the triumph of musicality over tone. Purple Haze, Midnight Lamp, Red House, they all would have been as great if he dialled in another sound that day.

You are definitely the Stevie, Jimi expert here. Awesome job, but that's the usual for you. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not hating it's just some constructive criticism I guess. I said it sounds good!! I don't know what you mean by "extremely close". Are you indicating that it's close to Jimi's tone on AATWT? C'mon man!

Are you indicating that it's close to Jimi's tone on AATWT? C'mon man!
I rarely post here but lurk enough to be very appreciative of Tyler's contributions to the axe community. Thanks Tyler! To Billbill, I will say what I'm sure many are thinking, you certainly appear to be quite a douche. My contributions to the community are now done for the day.

I had a go at this sound once. It's SO difficult. There doesn't seem to be a defining feature. It seems to sustain, attack and decay like a sound that has a lot of gain, but doesn't sound very gainy if you know what I mean? I'm not even sure I know what I mean tbh :?

Hendrix is often the triumph of musicality over tone. Purple Haze, Midnight Lamp, Red House, they all would have been as great if he dialled in another sound that day.

Ah yes ... the "touch an feel" component ... that's a tone that takes special fingers and some soul to dial in! :encouragement:

I'm not hating it's just some constructive criticism I guess. I said it sounds good!! I don't know what you mean by "extremely close". Are you indicating that it's close to Jimi's tone on AATWT? C'mon man!

Here's some constructive criticism for you, champ. Read your post before you commit and see how it sounds to other people, because I don't think you realize that every word is dripping with disdain and you come off like a complete prick. If that it your goal, you succeeded brilliantly.

Back
Top Bottom