AXE FX II gets here tommorow, Where the best place to start.

Download the manual and start reading now.

Pick one of the first 50 you like, bypass all blocks but amp and cab.

Tweak the sound to taste with the basic amp controls.

Then just play the first night, plenty of time for the multitude of parameter tweaking.

k2sparks, hope your Axe arrives safely today. Mine arrives tomorrow and I have one question to add to this thread. Are all of the patch slots taken up by factory presets when the unit is new? I haven't been able to find this answer in the documentation. Just wondering if there is already a bank of empty slots for me to start putting patches together, while using the factory presets as a learning tool, or if I need to delete some factory presets right away to make room for my patches.

Hello All, been doing alot of reading and preping. Just a quick shout out and tips from everyone with the experience. In your experience what the best way to get started. I have a Marshall 9100 and two great cabs. Thanks for your support and advice in advance.. Gosh I cant waaaiiitttt!!!

1. Start with Scott's video's, Search taming the monster / beast on youtube)
2. then watch another of Scotts videos for input levelling (download free apps for db meter or Vu meter - whatever its called)and
3. lastly watch Chris at Katsukuri blog:
Axe-FX II – Connecting to PA Gear | Katsu Kuri Media Blog

That will make sure you can set up the connections right, level the inputs so the volume doesnt go crazy low or high when switching presets and lay a foundation on how to mess with presets

Play with the first 50...search the forum for favorite amp models try them....and finally do a listen on as many presets as you can...it will give you an idea of the capabilities.

Unfortunately you may not be able to download the axe edit which kind of sucks...on the other hand you will be forced to learn the front panel edits thats good for the long run...

remember the first 50 presets do not cover all the amps. So if you do switch the amps, make sure that you choose cabs designed (or modelled) for amps...you can find the matching cabs at the axe wiki:
AMP (block): list - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Most important....take it slow and enjoy the process....you will love it.

k2sparks, hope your Axe arrives safely today. Mine arrives tomorrow and I have one question to add to this thread. Are all of the patch slots taken up by factory presets when the unit is new? I haven't been able to find this answer in the documentation. Just wondering if there is already a bank of empty slots for me to start putting patches together, while using the factory presets as a learning tool, or if I need to delete some factory presets right away to make room for my patches.

Yes all are taken up...Only 383 or 384 the last one is free. You are not limited by the presets available or populated. You can move all the presets into your PC and therefore blank out say one full bank...make and put all your presets in there. When Axe Edit was available this was easy...But without that its a bit of work...I havent played with MidiOX and all that stuff.

In general even if you erase all the presets, they are downloadable...you can find all the banks for each version of the firmware on the support site.

This way you can have literally as many presets as you can ever create ....only 383 of those millions that can be created can reside on the axe at a time.....sending one thats not on the axe but on your PC is a matter of zapping it from MidiOX or AxeEdit

Hope that helps

GOT IT!!!! yep just went through some presest and dabled in the changes, SOUNDS GREAT! I have edited one that I liked already, I just stuck to the head phones and tonight gonna lay out som shunts and have at it!!! I will be divprced in sayyyy aahhh I give it two weeks THANKS EVERYONE!!!

I am blown away at the reality of the cabinets!!! Makes you wonder all these years if WE OR I waer using the correct cabs live??? Anyway Saved my first amp and did what the man in the video said. "If it sounds good leave it and come back. I am beyond impressed and have just had it a couple of days!! Everyone has been a big help!!

Great - Enjoy!

I've had mine for a month - I spent the first week just listening with studio monitors - dialing up each preset and playing with it, seeing how it responded to various guitar's pickups and volume control, switching in an out FX blocks.

I found the manual to be most digestible if I glossed over Section 5 (Effects Guide description - I did study the amp and cab chapters) and read the Modifier and Control sections and the Global and X-Y memory first,

Then I began combining my disparate amps and speakers to find a usable live setup.

Because I use Taurus pedals and a vocal system, I opted for a full range stereo PA power amp (QSC MX700) and I built custom wedges (sealed, .95 cubic ft.) loaded with Coaxial Eminence Beta12cx and ASD1001 Tweeters with the PXB2-2k5cx crossovers. This gives enough high end for the vocals, but doesn't make the guitar too shrill. I'm pleased overall and the setup was reasonably inexpensive.

At this point, I'm spending hours with each amp model, just tweaking and playing - recording into Logic to judge the tones and creating presets for my tunes that work live.

This is an amazing device and as expensive as it was, it still seems like a bargain. Thank the maker!

Now if I can just get a hold of the MFC-101...

It took me days and weeks to truly understand and master the Axe-FX.

Then I read the manual. In only took minutes after that. I'd start there.

Hey K2! I just got my axe fx 2 and all I have done so far is go through the sounds. Incredable! I want to try downloading patches from good sources. I am "VERY" new to this being an old tube guy however I'm willing to learn all I can to get some great sounds!Not being a computer guy I need some step by step assistance.Can you help me out?

Back
Top Bottom