Axe FX II G2 Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ Metallica AJFA

Dimebucker

Experienced
Greedings!

I did find some old clip for my old computer ,i remember it was some kind of Metallica AJFA TM what i did in past. There was lots of going on all Axe FX II Filter:s PEQ:s was used ,and i think there was also my old Mesa Boogie Mark IV Live Tone Matching preset engage. Clip is below enjoy!

Rammstein have kind of scooped tone like early Metallica ,i think that why its reminds little bit Rammstein Du Hast. I did use same method for build those presets like Metallica did in studio for AJFA ,lots of research for years and using same settings to emulate those extra PEQ what they did use in studio. It was nice journey because i was get about same signal chain and order for all PEQ:s and Filters ,like they did have in studio sessions in AJFA. :eagerness:

Cool...the sound reminds a bit of"Du hast" from "Rammstein"...:eagerness:

Sounds great! oh the infamous "justice" tone. would you mind sharing the preset for a ding dong like myself who can't come close to dialing in something this good?

Greedings!

I did find some old clip for my old computer ,i remember it was some kind of Metallica AJFA TM what i did in past. There was lots of going on all Axe FX II Filter:s PEQ:s was used ,and i think there was also my old Mesa Boogie Mark IV Live Tone Matching preset engage. Clip is below enjoy!

Cool !

What are your PEQ settings please ?

Thanks a lot that kind of words ,sure i can share those presets if i find those. Its right now little bit hard because i have new computer ,and i need to install all softwares for this new computer. I have not hooked out Axe FX II yet in this new computer ,but that day will come soon when i know what DAW i will end up using in this computer. Second/old computer have lots of problems right now can`t use that ,but i try find some time to check those presets for sure.

Sounds great! oh the infamous "justice" tone. would you mind sharing the preset for a ding dong like myself who can't come close to dialing in something this good?

Thanks i was using same settings what Metallica did use AJFA studio sessions ,i have those notes somewhere in my old computer and all other things/info what there was in studio. But if i remember right there was two PEQ:s ,they did use those almost same way like MOP session. One parametric EQ loop of Boogie IIC+ some songs did have two parametric EQ:s loop of Boogie ,and then there was another parametric EQ for Mic:s or mixing board. Lots of stuff going on cant remember right now exactly what there was ,but those was most important things.

I need find those settings in my old computer ,because if i find those presets its hard to remember all details exactly. I remember it was little bit hard process ,because those Axe FX II four PEQ blocks did end up very quick ,more than four PEQ blocks would help a lot to create that tone. All those parametric EQ units what Metallica did use ,did have different Q-values that why it was hard to get all right only for four PEQ blocks. There was so many EQ Shelving settings also ,that why it was make things hard to adjust.

Cool !

What are your PEQ settings please ?

Thanks i was using same settings what Metallica did use AJFA studio sessions ,i have those notes somewhere in my old computer and all other things/info what there was in studio. But if i remember right there was two PEQ:s ,they did use those almost same way like MOP session. One parametric EQ loop of Boogie IIC+ some songs did have two parametric EQ:s loop of Boogie ,and then there was another parametric EQ for Mic:s or mixing board. Lots of stuff going on cant remember right now exactly what there was ,but those was most important things.

I need find those settings in my old computer ,because if i find those presets its hard to remember all details exactly. I remember it was little bit hard process ,because those Axe FX II four PEQ blocks did end up very quick ,more than four PEQ blocks would help a lot to create that tone. All those parametric EQ units what Metallica did use ,did have different Q-values that why it was hard to get all right only for four PEQ blocks. There was so many EQ Shelving settings also ,that why it was make things hard to adjust.

Thanks for your answer Dimebucker.

By the way, for amp sounds, did you use exclusively simulations from the Axe FX II ? Did you use real boogies ? Did you use a mix of them ?

Have you ever thought about doing this great job once again now that we have these fantastic G3 USA IIC+ amp blocks ?

And one more thing : how did translate the PEQ settings you got from your research to the Axe FX because Axe FX amp blocks don't have FX loop to put your PEQ like Metallica did with their Mark IIC+ ?

No problem its nice to give some answer:s ,i did use Axe FX II only and most important no extra mix/post eq:s for DAW. Guitar straight to Axe FX II and hit DAW:n recording button thats it ,very simple and you have always exactly same tone.

Thanks for your answer Dimebucker.

By the way, for amp sounds, did you use exclusively simulations from the Axe FX II ? Did you use real boogies ? Did you use a mix of them ?

Have you ever thought about doing this great job once again now that we have these fantastic G3 USA IIC+ amp blocks ?

Good question i need to think that little bit ,because like i was say it was big trip to making those presets. I think there was one or two PEQ loop of Axe FX II Mesa IIC+ ,and rest two or three PEQ last in chain to emulate that Mixing board EQ or Mic EQ:s like they did use backing days.

You can use that way Axe FX II PEQ:s also and that is nice ,like one PEQ:s only for amp loop and second or rest last in chain. Example like First PEQ its hitting amp sim loop and then to the cab ,and after cab block rest of PEQs will shape to final tone.

And one more thing : how did translate the PEQ settings you got from your research to the Axe FX because Axe FX amp blocks don't have FX loop to put your PEQ like Metallica did with their Mark IIC+ ?

And i forget answer Clive that you`r G3 question ,answer is yes i have been thinking that many times. But i have over 300 Tone Matched presets and heavy tweaking presets ,that its little bit tricky for me to update and re-tweak all those again. Example some single tones have been taken months of time ,need always remember to give some time to ears rest and listen again when few days have been past. But who knows maybe someday that will happening ,and i want to test some new Firmware.

For having spent so much time to match this sound, you must be a Metallica fan. Have you ever tried to match the sound of the Black Album ?

Yes i`m huge Metallica fan except new era stuff and sounds ,1986-1993 was years when IMO they sounds best Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ era tones. Not so big fan for Diezel and Triaxis tones what they have today in their sounds ,but Hetfield:s tone have been huge always that`s for sure.

Yes i have tried few times Black Album tones ,i think last time i was use ADA MP-1 whit Mark IIC+ together. But that album studio recording info is so highly protected ,that i have not see or hear anywhere exactly those settings what there was in studio. I`m pretty sure Hetfield did use ADA MP-1 also some point in Black Album era ,somehow my brain says there was maybe ADA MP-1 whit IIC+ but hard to know without info.

But i will give a shot again to check that album tone some point ,i will use there only Mark IIC+ next time i have feeling that will end up very nicely.

For having spent so much time to match this sound, you must be a Metallica fan. Have you ever tried to match the sound of the Black Album ?

Greedings!

Very nice recording, quite close to the real sound (and no bass guitar like on AJFA ;-) )

Thanks and yeah like Lars and James did say if i remember right ,Jason bass frequency:s was fighting against to guitar frequency:s in the AJFA. That why Jason bass volume was out little bit for mix ,if i remember correct Lars did say:s after that maybe we did lower little bit Jason bass volume. :shock

Hard to tell what there was happening for real ,i have somewhere those isolated tracks for AJFA. And Jason bass tone is amazing you can raise that volume and tunes still rocks ,but i must say that AJFA guitar tone is so punchy tight and aggressive whit amazing bite in low end. That why i think they did want that guitar wall comes to alive in the face ,and back up bass volume little bit.

Very nice recording, quite close to the real sound (and no bass guitar like on AJFA ;-) )

I heard the bass levels on AJFA was all Lars. The story i heard was Lars told the engineer to lower the bass levels to where you could just barely hear it. Then he said to drop it another 10dB.

I like this tone. It is in between Puppets and Justice, though. I think reducing the bass and boosting the upper mids will get it closer to Justice.

I heard the bass levels on AJFA was all Lars. The story i heard was Lars told the engineer to lower the bass levels to where you could just barely hear it. Then he said to drop it another 10dB.

I remember hearing this. The problem was the kick had too much sub, which left the bottom out of the mix when it wasn't sounding.

Back
Top Bottom