Axe-Fx II fw14 Released!

I played with the Lonestar Clean model a lot this afternoon paired with the TAF Shadow IR.

I have the Lonestar Special, rather than the one modelled and I have to say that I was in complete familiar heaven with this model. Paired with the TAF Shadow IR it sounds as close as anything I've been able to get to my real amp. After this week's big gig I'm going to try fiddling with the tone stack options. Mesa have always said that the Lonestar and Lonestar Special have identical preamps, it's just the power amp stages that are different (6L6 vs EL84). I'm going to have me some fun with this model!

Cliff, thank you for modelling this amp. I'm back in familiar territory to my "traditional amp" setup and I couldn't be happier. My head was fully in on the Axe-FX paradigm; my heart and soul have just joined it.

Change the tubes to EL84s in the Power tab.

I knew it was Operator Error! Reloaded and updated all presets....duh. Change the Global Noise Gate offset to 0. It's all good now.

Thank you Cliff and FAS team. FW14, Axe-edit update, and CabLab 2.0. Incredible! The integrity and work ethic of Cliff and the FAS team simply astonishes me...every time. Superb effort everyone. Thanks again!

Saw Andy Timmons last night out here in LA. I messed around for a bit with the lonestar clean to get his "broken up fender" kind of tone. Got pretty damn close, then saw him live and compared the tones. Pretty close. Didn't check his settings though.

Love the TX star clean model.

Absolutely loving FW14 since I've had a bit of time to work with it. Had to drop Master Volume on a lot of my patches
about 10% to get rid of the "frizzle fry", but once I did.....perfection! Really sold on the UltraRes IR's now that
I've learned how to tweak them for my setup. Love all the new IR freebies! Cliff, why don't you make those
permanent Stock IR's? The space is there. Even loving the FAS Brootalz and Engls, even though I don't use much hi gain.
My fav FW in a long time.

Usually when there is a new firmware I go "mhmm ok, cool.." but THIS time... iv'e NEVER gotten such a big smile with new FWs as when loading up the Savage! Oh, man this amp!!! The voicing fits my playing so much better then most of the other amps in there...

...yeah, of course the ENGL Invader 150 would be extremely awesome too. These ENGL amps just kicks but! :)

Was the Brootalz in any way "FAS based" on the Savage too?

Yeah"Added “USA Pre Ld2 Red” amp model based on the Lead 2 Red mode of a Mesa Triaxis preamp. "

That was my go to channel on my Triaxis. Cant wait to give it a try!

Thx FAS :D

Usually when there is a new firmware I go "mhmm ok, cool.." but THIS time... iv'e NEVER gotten such a big smile with new FWs as when loading up the Savage! Oh, man this amp!!! The voicing fits my playing so much better then most of the other amps in there...

...yeah, of course the ENGL Invader 150 would be extremely awesome too. These ENGL amps just kicks but! :)

Was the Brootalz in any way "FAS based" on the Savage too?

I thought the only change in tone amp-wise was on the Mesa models. Is that not the case?

KG

I thought the only change in tone amp-wise was on the Mesa models. Is that not the case?

KG

Release notes? :)

IIRC the JCM 800 tone stack changed, the triode modeling itself changed and there were some misc. fixes to some models.

The Rectos were the big dog though.

KG

Major overall improvements to the amp modeling in general and the Rectos having major revision. But the discussion is more towards the new amp models...ie FAS Brootalz, Savage etc

THANKS. The CAE sounds even more killer, so does the FishBrown.

And imho all the amps in there just got better...

OK, I have been afraid to write - but things will not improve (for me) unless I do. I switched back to 13.07 and my preset just sound much better. I was concerned that it was my playing but after go back and forth with 14 and 13.07 the 13.07 wins out. That being said, there is obviously something wrong with what I am doing, as far better guitarists are raving about 14 and initially I jumped on the bandwagon fooling myself. Now that I am admitting my wishful thinking, are there any recommendations. I made the appropriate Global Noise gate corrections, and followed the preset recs. Any other recs? For example, the Simeon Holdsworth presets which were fantastic with 13.07 are rather lifeless and more distorted (in a bad way). High gain patches do not have that great YOWZA thing that happens in 13.07. I thought the new Steve Vai Lead patch in 14 was due to 14 (created in 14). However, it sounds better on my 13.07. I want to join the party. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And (I know these are fighting words for some), I would be happy to compensate for your time (just back channel). Thanks for your kind attention.

Y'know... sound/tone/character - whatever you wanna call it - is highly subjective. The presets may be closer to accurate now, but aren't what you want to hear. I used to have a Marshall JCM900 that I loved to death, but it didn't sound like any other JCM900 - an amp that was widely vilified. Maybe the amp had been modified before I got it, maybe the cabs I was using were magical...who knows? But, it sounded great while most of them sounded less-than-ideal.

You may be experiencing the same thing with the firmware. The 13.07 is great, but the 14.0 is less than satisfying. Doesn't mean one or the other is wrong or bad - it's just that you prefer one over the other.

The long and short of it is: don't depend on other people's ears to tell you what sounds good to you.

My only concern would be that as time marches on and the firmware keeps evolving, you could get to a point where upgrading gets difficult. Kinda like moving from Windows 98 to Windows 7. There's no path so it can't be done without a total rebuild. Then, you've got a learning curve to climb that could make you crazy.

Thank you Cagey and well said. I have never enjoyed a piece of music equipment as much as I have enjoyed the Fractal Axe-Fx. I was feeling like an ungrateful child and you made me feel better. I'll send you a check for the therapy!

Back
Top Bottom