Axe FX II Frustrations - Cabs to FRFR, now possibly back to power amp (MB50) and cab

DC23

Experienced
Hi guys! So, I'm having a lot of frustrations with my Axe FX II lately. Just can't seem to get the sound live that I want. I've been trying and trying and nothing seems to help. Firstly, I should say that I started my journey with an Axe FX Ultra going into an Art SLA-2 power amp into 1 or 2 Mesa 2X12's. I really liked this setup but I found the Art a little sterile when it came to running the Axe. I should say that it sounded very guitar-like. However, when the II came along I purged a lot of gear including my cabs and picked up an Axe FX II. For live applications I decided I wanted to try FRFR for convenience. However, I am really disappointed with the EV ELX112p I picked up. It is ridiculously boomy and everything sounds quite muffled and there is not a whole lot of definition. When I try to tame the bass end I just end up with harsh fizz (and I'm not cranking the gain,etc.). At low volumes, I can tweak the EV and it sounds decent at home, however, the moment I try to take it to a band practice level, I cannot gel with the sound at all (I even have Axe Edit open and am tweaking from there at practice).

Yesterday, I was at the point where I wanted to sell the Axe and everything and go back to an amp and cab (however I like the integrated nature of the effects and amps that the Axe provides)...so I am toying with the idea of going back to a guitar cab and power amp. I found I really liked that this sound was much more traditional. My biggest issues with the Axe FX right now are the fizzy nature of it at high volumes and the lack of 'warmth' I guess I feel. Now, I'm not being unfair to the Axe II, I think it CAN sound amazing, people are geniuses with it, I just don't get half of it lol...I'm pretty simple in terms of patches, and amp and a cab for now. I think much of my problems are stemming from the speaker right now (I guess I shouldn't expect much when your playing a $2500 piece of gear through a $500 speaker).

So I have come here...to you wonderful people...to ask you if you think I could benefit by going to an Atomic Mono Block MB 50 and an Avatar 2x12 cab (maybe something like a V30 and a GT12H30). I really miss the warmth and richness of a tube amp (I used to own marshals and mesas), and I think the Atomic may be just what I need (along with a more traditional type of cab). Although I wish the MB50 came in a 1 rack space, I can deal with the Mono Block dimensions. I may be moving out of the province so it appeals to me that I could throw an Axe II and maybe the mono block in a bag and take it as a carry on...I can ditch cabs and pick them up anywhere really.

Any suggestions, opinions? Would love to hear if the Mono Block would give me what I want.

Didn't ya hear, our old buddy Jay Mitchell has saved the world with his new Atomic cabinets that are about to come out. LOL

In the Axe II running 5.0 firmware, IMO if you are missing the "warmth and richness of a tube amp" by going FRFR, something is not right.

I definitely agree.

It is true cheap monitors and a $2600 processor (split the differenceof the two prices) is not a good combination. The problem is it is tough to try out these high-end monitors.

Does Atomic still have their return period?

It is interesting that Jay Mitchell and Atomic have teamed up - when the Atomics were first released, there was some discussion about how they were advertised as "optimized for guitar monitoring" but that they were FRFR speakers, with no real info on what made them "optimal." The perfect FRFR system would add nothing or subtract nothing from the original signal.

KG

I have heard great things about Accugrooves bass cabs. Though they're 'for bass players' - they're actually ballsy, powerful, FRFR 3 & 4 way systems. I've ordered their 12" 2 way system and a Matrix amp. Will let you know how it goes. of course, a lot depends on what type of music you play. Currently I'm playing into a Mackie 450 powered FRFR monitor, and I am getting basically the best, sweetest 'fender' sound I've ever heard, and of course, being solid state from end to end - it never screws up!

DC23, you seem to make wrong eq setting. Amp builder voice their amps at HIGH level, than test in different situations, players, cabinet. What you get out is a good package. Axefx allow you to tweak as an amp builder. Try to "cure" the boomines, and lower the high, check it at LOUD level (as loud as you get live). Prepare to hear a sound that is not so "powerful" at low level. That's what it has to be, compare with any real amp out there. The more you push it, the more bass and clarity it will have.

Thanks Smilzo. I will try it next week. I live a place where I cannot play very loud at all so I will have to go and just spend some time tweaking and see of I can get something good at high levels.

I just got mine this week. Axe -->Egantor Tweaker 40 FX return --> into my Avatar 2x12 with a V30 and GT12H30 closed back cab. Sounded like ass until I turned off Cab sim, then WHOA! I was really happy with the tone.

Thanks Smilzo. I will try it next week. I live a place where I cannot play very loud at all so I will have to go and just spend some time tweaking and see of I can get something good at high levels.
Smilzo is right, DC23: if you make your sounds at a level and perform at a very different level every sound balance will be screwed up.

Do you like your sound at home level? If you start from a sound you like and raise the volume know, bass and high freqs become more important. If you start from a tone you like and lower the volume, the mids become prominent.
Of course, if you are unable to find timbres you like at any volume, then the volume has nothing to do with it :)

Last edited:
I know this is a long shot but I made a new short XLR cable last week to go from the Axe to a QSC and it sounded pretty much like what you are describing. Problem was that I had swapped two of the leads around in the plug, re-soldered and back to sonic heaven. Worth checking :)

Cheers Simon

Last weekend I tried tweaking some 'good' sounds at band practice level. I still could not get anything I really liked. I felt like I had nailed some of the bad things out, but I was still disappointed with how the high gain patches sounded. I am hoping to sell off some gear so I will be purchasing a power amp and guitar can (really kicking myself for selling off my mesa 4x12 and 2x12 but I needed the funds for the Axe II! Lol). Thanks for the tips guys, I'm gonna keep on trying!

Back
Top Bottom