Axe fx II for fm3 in 2021?

kisshell9

I have just decided to buy axe fxII. I am currently using the headrush but the number of amps in the axe and good second hand price has swayed me.

Now, I have seen older youtube videos between axe fxII and axe fx III, and generally users didn't feel much difference but the newer videos say that III is a lot better than II.
Is it better to just get fm3 instead of II?
Since I am sure fm3 will also get the latest update.

I mostly play at home and rarely gig. Sorry, if this is redundant post.

I really want to compare with helix native and headrush. This is my first fractal audio product. For me HR beats helix in amp and feel so hope this will be better than HR.

Last edited:
Depends on your needs - do you need 2 active Amps at the same time?

Do you use "large" presets?

You may get more out of the Axe Fx II in those cases.

Depends on your needs - do you need 2 active Amps at the same time?

Do you use "large" presets?

You may get more out of the Axe Fx II in those cases.
I do use two amps but not always... Now I am in Australia and got a good price for ax fx 2 mk2 for about USD $950. The fm3 is not available here any where and one on reverb US are bit expensive.

I do use two amps but not always... Now I am in Australia and got a good price for ax fx 2 mk2 for about USD $950. The fm3 is not available here any where and one on reverb US are bit expensive.
Well, the FM3 only supports a single active amp so that may be your deciding factor.

FM3 with Cygnus far surpasses an AXE II. The II is still solid unit but starting to fall behind.
The III ‘far surpasses’ the II? Besides 4 in & outs, much more cpu, more amps than needed, ‘gaming computer’ adjustable RGB LED’s, firmware updates with Cygnus (however that makes everything far surpass the II) ... how exactly does the III blow away the II? It’s amazing how the III is sooooo much better than the II,.. which was great until now. I’m aware that FAS (and IT) is always ‘improving’ on digital technology, but really? I dunno... I still like my II... and my old Ultra.

I'm 100% committed to sticking with Fractal Audio in part because they have consistently wrung every last bit of capability out of each generation of hardware before moving on. The Axe-FX II is still extremely good....better, I believe, than the offerings from any other company in the game. The FM3 is better. Even setting aside the very significant improvement in Cygnus, I would forgo a second amp block in favor of four channels (A-D) per block for every type over two channels (X-Y) per block any day.

Both are worthwhile. The double amp, double cab and double synth options of the II are very appreciable though. The 30s stereo or 60s mono looper of the II is a bit of a limitation compared to FM3. All in all the II remains a very great great modeller and you won't be deceived in any way.

Back
Top Bottom