Axe FX II for effects only - what am I doing wrong?

nick1527

Inspired
Hi

I recently bought back a Mesa mk v head that I sold about 5 years ago (same one - nostalgia!). I originally sold the head to fund my axe fx and now that I have both I've been running the axe in the series loop on the mesa head.

So far I am not impressed. The effects sound good but the overall tone of the amp is a bit lost when I route it through the axe fx.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong or not doing it correctly so I wanted to ask, other than getting the I/O set up correctly (which I have) is there anything in particular i should do or should avoid doing when using it as an effects processor only?

Appreciate any help offered.

Since all of the effects are post the amp distortion, maybe try putting the effects blocks in parallel?

So have a line of shunts running all the way across with nothing on them. From there, put effects blocks above (or below, doesn't matter) those main shunts, turn their mix to 100%, and then connect the input/output shunts of the effects block to the main line of shunts. This way your raw Mesa tone will be completely untouched and the effects will be placed on top of it. To blend in the amount of the effect to your signal, use the Level knob.

Since all of the effects are post the amp distortion, maybe try putting the effects blocks in parallel?

So have a line of shunts running all the way across with nothing on them. From there, put effects blocks above (or below, doesn't matter) those main shunts, turn their mix to 100%, and then connect the input/output shunts of the effects block to the main line of shunts. This way your raw Mesa tone will be completely untouched and the effects will be placed on top of it. To blend in the amount of the effect to your signal, use the Level knob.
Could u post a preset screenshot for an example?

I'm at work so I had to just draw on a blank preset I found on Google haha.

Don't put anything in the main line of shunts. Only have blocks feed into the main line.

View attachment 43111
Cool man, I understand now from your fine artwork haha, on what we're dealing with here. I'm going to try this on a preset for which will be built for an external fuzz pedal that I can't seem to let go of haha. Figured this method would be great to experiment with. Thanks for helping me grasp this

Sorry didn't mean to thread-jack guys. To the OP, hope u figure this out. Keep experimenting just remember to power down when toying with plugging in cables:)

have you checked that the serial loop in the head is actually 100% wet? some mesas allow some of the unaffected signal through, so when this gets mixed with the digital signal that has passed through the axe, the slight phase difference translates into a loss of bass and treble and a very "thin" sound.
you can check what's happening by dropping a volume block into a patch and setting the volume parameter to zero. if the loop is working correctly, you should hear nothing at all. if you hear sound, then you've located the source of the problem.

Maybe the loop of Mark V suck a little bit of tone. Try with a good patch cable if there are audible differences.

The Mark V comes with a series fx loop. The Mark V effects loop is unfortunately not a very transparent loop in my experience. There is a tone shift you'll be able to hear if you try the patch cable method listed above. However, you may be able to EQ what you feel you are missing with an EQ block.

How are your gain staging levels with the Mark V FX send vs the input/output on the axe? Also, check your input gate settings.

Back
Top Bottom