Axe FX II First Impressions - HUGE Improvements Over Ultra

relaxo

Inspired
Don't have any more spare time today after six hours with the Axe FX II, but...

-sound is notably richer, creamier and more harmonically complex than Ultra. Feedback is even better. Electric "pick click" attack (think Jimmy Page) is enhanced.

-the long synthy, "programmed" patches on the Axe II are more musical compared to the Ultra...sort of like going from a Native Instruments synth VI patch to the abundantly musical patches in an Access Virus synth. There's some really inspiring patches in the II...and a lot more when I get some time to write them.

-USB digital, AES and SPDIF digital outs all somehow sound much much better than Ultra and far less sterile digital. Ultra digital outs sounded like thin VST plugin Amp sims. Now we'll be using our high end outboard converters with Axe FX II with AES, SPDIF and USB digital outs. (How did Fractal change the digital outs and make them sound more "analog?" Mysterious.)

-the new Axe Edit software is significantly improved...a huge leap forward in ergonomics. Easier to keep presets organized YOUR way.

-the four endless rotary knobs combined with the large encoder are also a great ergonomic leap forward.

-USB convenience and speed and the ability to use as an audio interface is massive needless to say.

As others have noted, the Axe FX II is a rare example of giving the people exactly what they asked for. And what comes to mind is what the old-timer Hall of Fame Cardinal announcer Jack Buck said once said, "Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Last edited:
The axe 2 is my unit from FAS it's real nice better then what I would be... I haven't had much time to really dig in but from what i've done so far it's fairly simple to operate. This coming from a person who's hates haveing to deal with manuals. How are you running your axe????

bump!bump!
cartoons6.jpg
cartoons7.jpg
cartoons8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom