Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 8.01a Up

I've had my Axe-FX for a a little over a week now (it shipped with ver. 7) and I must say I'm impressed, not just by the unit, but by the way Fractal operates. Another firmware update already and whatever bugs occur are addressed on a timely basis. Just as important, Fractal actually listens to and hears their customers. There are a ton of other companies across this country that could learn a lot by following this example. Kudos, guys...don't ever change in this regard!

I love that it went to .01A instead of .02........OCD brains will be exploding all over the world!

Before you all freak out, just try to keep in mind that the numbering scheme doesn't actually matter. It could be called "revision 2 of the very newest of the new" firmwares. It will work the same regardless of the name.

I've had my Axe-FX for a a little over a week now (it shipped with ver. 7) and I must say I'm impressed, not just by the unit, but by the way Fractal operates. Another firmware update already and whatever bugs occur are addressed on a timely basis. Just as important, Fractal actually listens to and hears their customers. There are a ton of other companies across this country that could learn a lot by following this example. Kudos, guys...don't ever change in this regard!

Bears repeating. Most companies will 'gather data', and ignore the issue based off of their long timeline of software release. Internet 'workarounds' will appear from those who have the time and inclination to try various methods to get it to work. The company will either fix a bug that's the most irritating within a month, then a patch in the following months.

We should be extremely grateful we are in this position...

R

I don't write code, but it amazes me that they can find and correct a problem so quickly... Awesome !

I do (or at least used to). Generally, if you can reproduce it, you can find and fix it pretty quick. That's why you should always try to give the exact steps you do to cause the problem, it really helps!

LOL hahaaha Every time I catch up with the firmware and I tell myself, "Ok, tonight you are just going to settle on a damn tone and write some music" We get some more goodies to play with which causes me to tweak endlessly (which I love mind you) and I end up playing for a fraction of the time. Thanks for being so eager to improve FAS

Thanks so much for the kindness of enabling the V7/8 amp modelling switch, absolutely genious end generous. Tried out V8 yesterday evening, but not on same amp as usual, and was hesitating a bit to return to 7 as - at least in my head - the change is not that minor on my favourite Deluxe patch. Got a slight impression that things were more "fluid" on V7, but I'm afraid this is just happening in my head. I'm quite sure this feature will melt my potentialy "imaginary" headache in no time & look forward to testing it tonight at home !

In order to activate such a "return to Zenda" in the amp block, must one reset the amp block or will this inverter change be activated right away ?

Cheers !

I confirm after a one hour trial switching back and forth on a few of my favorite patches : it was in the head, not in the Axe !! No sweat with 8.xx ! Are you sure you're not kidding us FA ? ;-))))). Howbeit, since 7.0 the Axe II cannot be beaten anymore, too late !!

I just updated to 8.01A and when I switch from the Y amp block back to X and then back to Y the sound completely changes. I have to change the preset and then go back to get the sound back the way it is suppose to. I powered down and back and it didn't help.

Upgrade from FW 7 to FW 8 broke my tone match block (can no longer capture reference tone). I upgraded during my lunch break to FW 8.01a and it didn't fix the problem. I installed twice and reset all parameters each time. Everything else I tried seemed to work. Ironically I have a horrible head cold and my ears haven't cleared after a plane flight yesterday (God it would be horrible to be deaf) so I can't comment on the tonal changes.

I'll ask this again:

"Added global Modeling Version parameter which allows one to select between Version 8 (default) or Version 7 modeling. This parameter is global and is in the Global menu. Note that the only change between Version 7 and Version 8 is the phase inverter modeling and, as such, the difference may be very subtle."

What about the change in the amp modeling's passive presence control between Version 7 & 8?

If we select V7 in the Global menu, does it have 7's old passive Presence algorithm, or V8's new "Authentic Presence control modeling"?

I'll ask this again:

Added global Modeling Version parameter which allows one to select between Version 8 (default) or Version 7 modeling. This parameter is global and is in the Global menu. Note that the only change between Version 7 and Version 8 is the phase inverter modeling and, as such, the difference may be very subtle.

What about the change in the amp modeling's passive presence control between Version 7 & 8?

If we select V7 in the Global menu, does it have 7's old passive Presence algorithm, or V8's new "Authentic Presence control modeling"?

The presence modeling is the new version in both. Only the phase inverter modeling is different. You want the new presence modeling, it's extremely accurate.

guys... I really don't buy in to the whole 'fan-boi' thing...
so when I say this... it's cos I've just gone and actually done it... and mean it with my whole heart...

and it's funny too... when I look back to 6.0 where I was fighting against the tone and just couldn't make it work...

and I know the stuff I do and the noises I make ain't for everyone.. and that's cool.. I understand / appreciate that..
but it's me that's got to love it..

I think I've just dialled in the finest tones I've ever had...
with 100% certainty..

I just went back to 8.01 and then reinstalled 8.01A and made a preset from scratch using the TM block. I set my distortion to the Y and clean to X...the patch starts out sounding fine but when I switch to X and then back to Y it is noticeably louder...seems to be the same tone but there is still definitely something not right even with 8.01A.

I just went back to 8.01 and then reinstalled 8.01A and made a preset from scratch using the TM block. I set my distortion to the Y and clean to X...the patch starts out sounding fine but when I switch to X and then back to Y it is noticeably louder...seems to be the same tone but there is still definitely something not right even with 8.01A.

experiment:
set up a tone in X
copy all of the same settings to Y
set it so the peaks are no higher than 0dB in your DAW when using X
do an X to Y change and then you'll be able to see by how much the level changed..

maybe a little recording would help as well.. then the FAS folk can see / hear this differential..

The presence modeling is the new version in both. Only the phase inverter modeling is different. You want the new presence modeling, it's extremely accurate.

I don't have a problem with the new presence at all, I lowered it slightly on my presets and thought it sounded just as good/better than V7. I was just wondering if it was the old presence so I could do a true A/B test between V7/V8 and be sure that I really did like it better.

Well I took the plunge and upgraded (although I'm a slave to Axe Edit) no crashes or lock up (win 7 64 bit 8 gigs of ram)
all of my patches seem to be working, I went in and changed the amp and then set it back, on some of them it sounded a little better, on others it sounded worse luckily the recall works and I just "undid"
the reset before saving it.
the new Globals screen threw me for a loop that's for sure.
tried the new Atomica hi, there is a patch out there (I have it) called Evh 1982 , swap out the plexi for the
Atomica hi and with very little tweaking you can really nail the Early VH sound with this amp sim.
Toggled back and forth betwen 8.xx and 7.xx really couldn't hear much of a difference so 8.01a it is.
guess I'm going to have to learn how to edit from the front panel now LOL!

Back
Top Bottom