Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 8.00 Up

Is it just me or does the AC 30 TB with Alnico Blues now sound like there's a blanket thrown over it? The VOX sparkle is gone... Same with the Friedman Amps and Basketweave cabs - there is a huge difference to a Plexi Treble with the same cabs 'blanketwise' now. Could anyone check this please?

check your cab IRs for those presets, i know someone reported a bug where a user IR got switched to one of the bass cab IRs. Hopefully it's something simple like that

I like how the Axe model sounds in its '"tamed" version and a really appreciated "thank you" to MikeyB59 for making it available to us.

secretly I wished though that the virtual grid resistor would have been left out for authenticity reasons (or maybe an option to choose it) and I have to admit that (probably one of the few) I actually like its "farting out feature". it's very unique to that amp and IMHO it gets more and more difficult in the age of digital to get useable broken sounds like in the 60s or 70s (anyone ever got a useable sound out of overdriving a digital mixing console ?) where there were just overlooked design faults.

I've only had a little time with it, but i'm tending to agree with wishing you could blow it up. Managing the chaos of it is one of the great things about it. I haven't been able to get some of the gainy characteristics I love, though I do hear a lot of the sound of my amp. On the cleaner side of things it sounds great. I need to spend more time with it later today. I'm really glad it's in there, even with the mod.

Is it just me or does the AC 30 TB with Alnico Blues now sound like there's a blanket thrown over it? The VOX sparkle is gone... Same with the Friedman Amps and Basketweave cabs - there is a huge difference to a Plexi Treble with the same cabs 'blanketwise' now. Could anyone check this please?

Tried turning down HiCut in the Vox amp?

What's Presence set at in the Friedman/Plexi amps?

check your cab IRs for those presets, i know someone reported a bug where a user IR got switched to one of the bass cab IRs. Hopefully it's something simple like that

I used stock cabs only, no user cabs.

Tried turning down HiCut in the Vox amp?

What's Presence set at in the Friedman/Plexi amps?

HiCut is all the way down to zero.
Presence is at about 5.

Not so with mine, actually has more sparkle and definition
Did you try resetting amp block?

Yes, I reset the amp block. Very strange...

I'll have a look at it tomorrow - right now I have to be off to a Coldplay concert (my wife's music, you know... ;-))

It mainly has to do with the timing. I used the AXE for the first time live last weekend and loved everything I had setup. But I had to tweak some things on the fly during the gig with my laptop to get them where I was happy... I have a VERY Big gig coming up next friday and i've already gotten a PM from someone who uses my main plexi patch warning me that the patch gets harsh sounding after v8.

Therfor, I don't want to upgrade, and then have to troublshoot harsh sounding patches right before a big gig. I'd rather keep what sounds good NOW until I can get an editor up and running that allows me to tweak faster and on the fly.

Gotcha.

Not so with mine, actually has more sparkle and definition
Did you try resetting amp block?

+1

More sparkly here

mrsparkleorig.jpg

I'd rather keep what sounds good NOW until I can get an editor up and running that allows me to tweak faster and on the fly.

As encouragement, it is very possible to tweak patches on the fly in a live setting using the front panel. I do it on a regular basis, even though I could bring my laptop and AxeEdit.

One of the "best practices" I suggest is to have your amp block and effects blocks in the same place in each patch. Then, if you position yourself to edit the amp block (for example) and change patches, hitting Edit will again bring up the amp block. Adopting a standard way of working with the A, B, C, D knobs is also very helpful. You can use the main dial to position what it does, and therefore what A, B, C, D will affect.

Terry.

Tweed Deluxe:
Setting the Input Trim value higher than the default 1.00 does get the amp cooking. Set to 10.00 the amp does sound similar to a Tweed Deluxe with its volume turned all the way up, a bit less 'chaotic' but it does fart out a bit on lower notes. I looked at the clock and realized I'd burned 30 minutes 'testing' the Tweed Deluxe with the Input Trim set at 10. I think I like it! :D

I'll echo the other comments regarding the virtual grid resistor in this model and make a request: Cliff, if possible would you be willing to remove this mod for the next firmware so we can give it a go stock?

This is not a complaint by any stretch BTW. The Tweed Deluxe model is awesome and much appreciated, as are all new updates in 8.0. :)

Reactions: yek
The Supro is the $h1t!!!! I think this is the amp I've been waiting for from digital modeling (voicing, gain characteristics). Exactly what I like for old school rock (1970's) and for blues. Thanks for the Supro Cliff!!!

ETA: Sooo dynamic!! What a great amp for blues!

This may become my go-to amp. Just fantastic!

...I now have a blister on the pad of my fretboard hand ring finger. Time to stop playing for now. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
I'm having a great time turning knobs but now with all of the additional choices in the amp block (the huge listing with B Constant, etc.) I don't know what to adjust. I do use B Constant alot because it adds awesome definition for note separation, etc. (usually set around 40) but I don't know what everything else does. I guess I'd be interested in anything that makes a big difference rather than sutble ones. I used to use damping but haven't messed with that lately.

Well, actually : NO !
For a major firmware release number increment, you need ONE major new feature : what is it for v8 ?

To be clear : I really love the new firmware and admire the work done by Cliff, just talking here, stop considerating people not agreeing with you offend you

Software was reduxed to allow more oomph from the flux capacitor without using C3PO brain nuggets. This necessitates the YUMP!!!! Yah!

Back
Top Bottom