Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 8.00 Up

I like how the Axe model sounds in its '"tamed" version and a really appreciated "thank you" to MikeyB59 for making it available to us.

secretly I wished though that the virtual grid resistor would have been left out for authenticity reasons (or maybe an option to choose it) and I have to admit that (probably one of the few) I actually like its "farting out feature". it's very unique to that amp and IMHO it gets more and more difficult in the age of digital to get useable broken sounds like in the 60s or 70s (anyone ever got a useable sound out of overdriving a digital mixing console ?) where there were just overlooked design faults.

I feel the same. The appeal of a vintage amp like a fender tweed is that it's limitations differentiate it from modern amp designs. I like trying to dial in farting broken amp tones. I value authenticity too.

I'm grateful for the update though, of course!

Works pretty bad here with a 7-string tuned in A and a -2 pitch shifting : Works normally on lower strings but pretty bad on the bigger one (A)

Stability or latency? I know, they interact, but usually you balance them with the tracking parameter.

Generally speaking, the lower a pitch is, the longer it takes to identify it (unless you use a transient-based technique for pitch detection).
You need at least a quarter wave length to identify the pitch, but lower pitch means longer wave length means more time goes by for that quarter wave length.
Law of physics.

I feel the same. The appeal of a vintage amp like a fender tweed is that it's limitations differentiate it from modern amp designs. I like trying to dial in farting broken amp tones. I value authenticity too.

I'm grateful for the update though, of course!
yeah... I've got sort of a nostalgic appreciation for vintage gear with all its quirks. of course a digital environment like DAWs or in our case the Axe is by far more convenient, still I sometimes miss the unpredictable things that can happen with analog gear. I do a lot of session work for a Dub producer and his studio is filled with vintage tape delays, Moog EQs (yes, they also build outboard EQs) and all other weird things. it's all noisy and unpredictable at times, but it's so charming...

I like how the Axe model sounds in its '"tamed" version and a really appreciated "thank you" to MikeyB59 for making it available to us.

secretly I wished though that the virtual grid resistor would have been left out for authenticity reasons (or maybe an option to choose it) and I have to admit that (probably one of the few) I actually like its "farting out feature". it's very unique to that amp and IMHO it gets more and more difficult in the age of digital to get useable broken sounds like in the 60s or 70s (anyone ever got a useable sound out of overdriving a digital mixing console ?) where there were just overlooked design faults.

It can still get plenty farty. A lot of the Fender amp models in the Axe-Fx will fart out in nice ways when you push them. Try pushing the Input Trim value up on the amp so you're feeding it a very hot signal. For example, this clip was done with the 59 Bassman model, tone matched against one of Neil Young's Dead Man soundtrack tracks, and to make it fart I juiced the amp's Input Trim. This was with 6.01:

I haven't had a chance to touch 8.0 yet -- I've been working -- but I'll be free tonight to get in to that Tweed Deluxe. I'll post some stuff to Axe-Change...

It can still get plenty farty. A lot of the Fender amp models in the Axe-Fx will fart out in nice ways when you push them. Try pushing the Input Trim value up on the amp so you're feeding it a very hot signal. For example, this clip was done with the 59 Bassman model, tone matched against one of Neil Young's Dead Man soundtrack tracks, and to make it fart I juiced the amp's Input Trim. This was with 6.01:

I haven't had a chance to touch 8.0 yet -- I've been working -- but I'll be free tonight to get in to that Tweed Deluxe. I'll post some stuff to Axe-Change...

Ah... Love the Dead Man soundtrack!

I might be the only Axe-FX user who has never used Axe-Edit to edit anything. :) I got so used to the front panel that I only know how to use that.

Then you don't know what you're missing. :) Axe-Edit is just faster & easier, especially for comparing setting changes. If AE is going to corrupt presets, I guess I'll be waiting to upgrade to 8.0. I hate using the front panel. :)

loved that !

don't get me wrong, the 8.0 model sounds fantastic and I can only imagine comments from people who have no experience with a real one..."is there a bug ? the model sounds farty" and all that. Cliff put it very nicely..."more useable" and I'm sure that applies to most users, but as we know from people like Billy Gibbons or Neil Young (who even used a fan behind his amp to keep it from going up in flames), the definition lines of "useable" can be quite blurred :)

I spent a few hours with v8 last night. It didn't explode my mind like the change from v6 to v7 did, but there are some nice improvements and more great amps. Most importantly, all that incredible magic mojo from v7 is retained.. it's just a bit jucier!

Tuner is better than ever. LOVE the Supro! Wow. It's amazing, really unique amp.

I'm glad a 5e3 Deluxe is FINALLY onboard! This always seemed like an obviously essential amp. I remember when I first got my Ultra years ago there was a model called 'Tweed' that I assumed was a tweed Deluxe, but it was really a blackface circuit (I think the model got renamed eventually).

In practice, now that I've tried a Tweed Deluxe on the Axe I'm not sure I will use it much. It's good but there are so many other great amp models, some of which can cover that territory very well. Same with the new Atomicas.. they sound killer, but it's getting really hard to choose my favorite Marshally gain amp with so many great ones to choose from. I need to spend more time with the Badger.. unique but it didn't instantly grab me like some of the others have recently. Maybe I'm using it wrong. But I was instantly gratified by the Supro, much like I was with the Div/13 on v7, and the Blankenship Leeds earlier. So many choices.

Overall, the best Axe yet. Thanks a million to Fractal and the guys who generously shipped amps to Cliff to be modelled.

As a newbie to the Axe, I used Axe-Edit exclusively for the last week. The update to 8.0 forces me to learn/use the front panel, which is a good thing. Never know if you need to make any tweaks at a gig!

I love the fact that we get big and small updates often. It`s more personal IMHO. The forum and the product is more interesting this way IMHO.

It`s like calling a friend that something minor or major just happened.. You don`t call those not close about everything. You call your friends and family :)

Fractal calls us :D

you gotta be kidding me....was just reading the thread waiting for this then saw someone post its here?! what!!

Just out of curiousity what are the numerous reasons that make you hesitant to use the front panel?

It mainly has to do with the timing. I used the AXE for the first time live last weekend and loved everything I had setup. But I had to tweak some things on the fly during the gig with my laptop to get them where I was happy... I have a VERY Big gig coming up next friday and i've already gotten a PM from someone who uses my main plexi patch warning me that the patch gets harsh sounding after v8.

Therfor, I don't want to upgrade, and then have to troublshoot harsh sounding patches right before a big gig. I'd rather keep what sounds good NOW until I can get an editor up and running that allows me to tweak faster and on the fly.

Is it just me or does the AC 30 TB with Alnico Blues now sound like there's a blanket thrown over it? The VOX sparkle is gone... Same with the Friedman Amps and Basketweave cabs - there is a huge difference to a Plexi Treble with the same cabs 'blanketwise' now. Could anyone check this please?

Back
Top Bottom