Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 8.00 Up

Wow v8.0 is a charismatic little chap that im particulary fond of, its poignently hearty with a crisp north side of the hill sway I feel. A delicate bouqeut, yet highly sophisticated, with Imart and new amps, its two thumbs up and a job well done. Thanks Fractal
I visited New Zealand, Auckland and a bunch of stuff north to south of north Island, then ferry to south island and all the way down that one too.

New Zealand and the people living there are awesome.

With v7 I didn't need to create my own presets, the factory preset sounded fantastic with the most minor tweaks.
Now that I have upgraded to 8 most presets sound muddy/bassy and lack the definition they had before.
Anyone else getting this result? No biggy I can fix but thought it odd.

i found v7 to be almost too defined and had a stiff quality to it that didn't seem completely accurate. I think v8 took a step back from that which I could see would seem as you describe it. I think v8 is the best sounding firmware to date in tone and feel, but like you said a little tweaking goes a long way, cheers.

Totally Incredible! Had all my patches sounding better than before with just amp block reset ! Cliff , you totally ROCK!! New amps are Awesome!!

OMG!!!! Anxiety has just set in and I'm trying to do the math regarding how much time I have before go time at tomorrow night's gig and if I can make any necessary adjustments. I feel better after reading Scott, Java and a few others upgraded with minimal issues. Should I do it?!?!?!?!?!?

And Cliff and Fractal team, hats off to ya and a huge thank you to you all!

What others said - do a backup of firmware and patches/banks, so you can always go back.

That said, IMO this is one of the "safest" major firmware updates, meaning that it won't turn your amp sounds into something radically different.

Very cool indeed! I've had my Axe-FX II less than a week. Barely scratched the surface so far as to what it can do. Thank you very much for the update. As a newbie here, it speaks volumes about the company and its people!

Ok, after some moral support from a few of you and some common sense (backing up now) I'm taking the plunge. I'll come up for air later...

like what I'm hearing so far.... a lot..
with the hi-gain tones it's not sounding too much different to 7.0 so far...
the cleans and lower gain tones seem to have grown a little more 'stuff'
any changes I'm noticing seems to be in the extreme lows and extreme highs being somehow more energetic..

not tried the shifter yet... but it's on the things to goof with list...

I think I need to calm a few things down.. but not by much..

and to be honest, I'm mid way through rebuilding my presets [as a result of the new toys that came in 7.0] so I'll just continue the job in 8.0..
I guess given my current 'mid-way' state, I'm not the best one to judge just yet....

expectations are very good though from what I've heard so far..

like what I'm hearing so far.... a lot..
with the hi-gain tones it's not sounding too much different to 7.0 so far...
the cleans and lower gain tones seem to have grown a little more 'stuff'
any changes I'm noticing seems to be in the extreme lows and extreme highs being somehow more energetic..

The difference is minimal with high gain amps. Clean and mid-gain are where you'll hear and feel the difference.

If anyone is interested, here are three comparison clips. In each clip there is the Axe-Fx II, the real amp and a third product, not necessarily in that order. The order is the same in each clip. The guitar part was recorded with the looper and then played into each of the three devices. I think the results speak for themselves and to the accuracy of the Axe-Fx.

Princeton:
www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/princeton_comparison.mp3

Badger:
www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/badger_comparison.mp3

Atomica:
www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/atomica_comparison.mp3

Excuse the really lame playing.

The difference is minimal with high gain amps. Clean and mid-gain are where you'll hear and feel the difference.

If anyone is interested, here are three comparison clips. In each clip there is the Axe-Fx II, the real amp and a third product, not necessarily in that order. The order is the same in each clip. The guitar part was recorded with the looper and then played into each of the three devices. I think the results speak for themselves and to the accuracy of the Axe-Fx.

Princeton:

Badger:

Atomica:

Very Cool!
I'm not sure exactly what is what, but in each clip the first 2 tone examples sound really close, and the third in each is much thinner.

buttttttttt. If I had to guess it which example in each mp3 was what I would say
1st: AxeFx II
2nd: Real Amp
3rd: Kemper ;)

Last edited:

The learning modeler is still in elementary school. [Not referring to the age of the product, but the quality of modeling.]

I might find some differences between the other two (with headphones or proper volume), but I'll refrain from judging which is which. Scary close!

Princeton:

Badger:

Atomica:

I don't have my Badger here to compare to my AxeII FW8, but through my FRFR system it sounds close from memory.

Which IR are you using for the Badger?

and thank you FW8 sounds killer. I thought 7 was perfect for many of the models but this just might be better still.

oh... my... god...
V8.0 and the Herbert 2+

just when I thought the amp decisions were pretty much made for my new presets and went and tripped up on this...

will I ever be able to make up my mind...??? this is insane..

the prob with having to make choices is that something has to be left out...
how can I bring myself to do this... it's like heresy... lmao

Princeton:

Badger:

Atomica:

ahh cool.. and reassuring that I'm hearing and feeling generally the right stuff in the right places...

interestingly, I'm noticing that when I morph my hi-gainer's to clean they also seem to gain a little more sparkle...
when I clean up a hi-gainer, I have to put back the extreme hi's and lo's that go missing to prevent the tone going flat
I do this with a PEQ bands 1 and 5 boosted..
in 8.0 I've found that these corrective boosts are now way too strong...
and that's a good thing right... cos I'm getting more [rather losing less] from the amp...

also... I've totally given up playing "guess which is the Axe"..
I'd stand more chance of getting it right if I just flipped a coin..

no idea how you guys do it...
but it just gets better and better..

Man Cliff, with every updated firmware the gap closes a little bit more. Its nearly to close to call now....close enough I am hesitant to try. If I were to take a guess I would say you listed the order in your post accurately. Very cool!

oh... my... god...
V8.0 and the Herbert 2+

just when I thought the amp decisions were pretty much made for my new presets and went and tripped up on this...

will I ever be able to make up my mind...??? this is insane..

the prob with having to make choices is that something has to be left out...
how can I bring myself to do this... it's like heresy... lmao

I am rowing that boat right there with you man. What a marvelous problem to have. :D

I Enjoy 8.0, I haven't had a huge chance to dig in with it yet but the feel is definitely improved, but that's obviously not knocking 7.0 as that was great too. Going to do a bunch more playing with it tonight :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom