Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 7.00 Public Beta

After 6 hrs of playing, what I meant in previous messages here and there doesn't seem to be changed. I can hit a string harder and harder and still harder and not feel like there's no limit. The "dynamic maximum" limit feels to be there pretty soon, like it always was (I *was* playing EMGs which are said to be compressing though; I couldn't even get in the red by slamming, or maybe that's the input limiter working?).
What I do feel is there seems a fair bit more range for picking dynamics in the range that already *was* available :)
So still room for improvement, I would guess, but starting to fear it's just not possible w digital, unless sacrificing input level on purpose?
Actually digital is not the dynamic limitation, it's the analog side you need to worry on.
Technically, 24bit is capable of 144 DBFS (24*6=144).
Seriously. I think the whole "dynamic maximum" thing is pretty silly. What about dynamic minimum? Isn't "dynamic range" really the issue? If so, can anyone find a tube guitar amp with a S/N ratio greater than that of the AxeFx?

Thanks once again to Cliff and the whole Fractal development team for an outstanding firmware update. As a low gain player, the "feel" with the new amp modeling is amazing. Likewise with the new reverb- lush trails/modulation possiblities.

I played a bit last night with my Eventide Space / VOX AC15 and compared to the AFX2 AC15TB /Redwirez Blues-Silvers Cab Mix / new reverb models.

Once again the tube rig goes back into storage.

Seriously. I think the whole "dynamic maximum" thing is pretty silly. What about dynamic minimum? Isn't "dynamic range" really the issue? If so, can anyone find a tube guitar amp with a S/N ratio greater than that of the AxeFx?

Good point.

Absolutely LOVING the changes so far! Guess I'm going to switch over to the non-beta version now...
THANK YOU Cliff & Team for an incredible update and product! Keep up the great work - we all appreciate it! :)

Actually digital is not the dynamic limitation, it's the analog side you need to worry on.
Technically, 24bit is capable of 144 DBFS S/N (24*6=144).
I'll believe you on that. But to state my "problem" in yet another way and ask your opinion...
- do you know what I mean with my definition of "dynamic max" and have you experienced it or can you believe it is there? Or do you think it's a result of my imagination depending on other factors?
I'll state the feeling again: On the Axe, I'll generally be picking at 60 to 75% strength. That makes I can only go one or two times harder to express myself and reach the "capped" 100%. Not so on some of the real amps I played. There's a whole greater range available there and offers a nice feeling to use or know it's there.

- if you do acknowledge that; how could you solve it on digital? Isn't my only chance that I would have to learn to pick at say 33% to get the dynamic max at 300% picking strength and thereby giving up S/N ratio and less dynamic range where I play most (now only from 0 to like 33%)

Maybe if something could switch over, depending on the input (like the G-Force did with a relay, but I don't see that happen). You can probably invent stuff with manual or automatic modifiers as well. But still wondering if it would be possible in a simpler way and "get real". Without adjusting my picking strength downwards to begin with, I'm starting to think it will not be possible digitally. I therefore also wonder what "dynamic maximum" Cliff claims has been taken care of...? We must have a different definition of it (and I don't mean that as a rant/attack).

If you don't agree it even exists, I'll have to record it next time and look out more for factors that may fool me into thinking that, and play the Axe with the same guitar and sim than one of the amps in that room (didn't have it with me last time, because I knew it wouldn't stand a chance at that time with this amp collector. Now it should, except for the dynamic maximum, I'm afraid. And maybe the narrowing of the sound as well, which I seemed to experience.)

aleclee said:
Isn't "dynamic range" really the issue? If so, can anyone find a tube guitar amp with a S/N ratio greater than that of the AxeFx?
My answer/question would be simple. Don't you feel that *you* can go "beyond" on a low/medium gain amp IRL? Don't you like that and wish it was so on the Axe? In certain styles or certain guys do it all the time. Sucks you can just go "one (or two) harder" on the Axe (at least from where I'm starting), IMO (although you could at least vary your attack in ways that makes it sound different).
It was one of the most awesome experiences I had with the real amps that stuck out to me (and who knows also due to a particular guitar, but I don't think so).

I don't wanna seem like I'm on an "mba style" (or other Frenchman ;)) rant here. I'm just flabbergasted why no one else seems to agree or experience this on a real low/med gain tube amp. From Cliff I would understand he remained quiet, if it's just not possible. If you think I'm imagining it, let me know too. ATM, it's just weird to me how it doesn't seem to be considered important (once you felt it). Attacking a note harder & harder & still harder is a technique quite commonly used IMO.

I'm sure some people could probably post clips that show you can go harder five times instead of one or two times (depending where they are starting out or how they vary their picking), but it would still not be exactly the same to real life, I'd guess.

My object is not to convince a vintage amp collector, but to know where we stand vs real amps, helped by his opinion. If I was the collector and the Axe had a dynamic maximum like it now seems to me, I would be sure to keep my amps and declare all these discussions if the Axe is "there yet" (or better) as silly, and open people's eyes, or just declare that they will always be two different things (which I'm alright with and is actually a good thing, IMO). Has nothing to do with being for or against the Axe (I will pick it above the vintage amps), but about objectiveness. I do now know that one day I may like to have one such amp that doesn't cap a great aspect of expressiveness.

Again, the EMGs may have some part in it (though I see the technique successfully used by players with EMGs). I'll be sure to use another guitar in future testing. It may well give me one dynamic step extra, which already would be quite something. It's probably also true that you can try just for this technique to start it with much lower picking strength, to have more steps.

I remember the "effect" the most vividly when playing the Gibson 335. Maybe in part the awesomeness of this guitar and the vibrational feedback of the body into mine fooled me a bit with regards to this effect, but still?

Maybe as a question to Cliff or anyone: what would at the moment be the most dynamic setup to experience?
Would it be the /13 with Dynamics to -100%?

Last edited:
I'll believe you on that. But to state my "problem" in yet another way and ask your opinion...
I've only used two tube amps in my life (only started playing guitar about 18 months ago), both highish gain. Never cranked them either. But from my experience the pickups would likely make a big difference here. I've got a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7 with Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and am borrowing my dad's Fender Strat for comparison. The most obvious thing to me here is that even on FW V6 the strat is so much more expressive for low-medium gain amp models in the axe fx 2. The Strat responds a lot more to the pick attack as far as the gain coming out of the amp is concerned. The Schecter seems to be always "shouting" whereas the strat lets me control that to a greater extent.

Now I'm not saying that the axe fx can't be improved here (as the latest firmware seems to confirm), but I wouldn't put it past those EMGs to be limiting your expressiveness. I bet the owner of those vintage tube amps would balk at the idea of using EMGs on their amps?

BTW, which EMGs do you have? I have an Ibanez which I put EMG 81/85s in and they are much like the Blackouts as far as loudness, expressiveness goes - they are meant to be inelegant metal amp driving pickups.

EMG's compress like crazy.
I'll have to believe you (more and more from my own experience, I guess).
The reason I've doubted that for a while is that Larry Carlton used to use them as well, and he's the last one I would expect to use them if they compressed so much. Didn't compromise his sound for me... But sometimes these guys have custom pickups too.

Last edited:
Now I'm not saying that the axe fx can't be improved here (as the latest firmware seems to confirm), but I wouldn't put it past those EMGs to be limiting your expressiveness. I bet the owner of those vintage tube amps would balk at the idea of using EMGs on their amps?
You'd win the bet :D But the day is now here that I can sound more or less as good as him *with* the EMGs. They're never sounding "clinical" anymore. I have a P90 guitar as well of which I love the sound, but I don't mix too much, cause the necks are quite different. Now in Luke guitar mode. I would have to check which pickups they have. It's a stock MM Luke II. Always had a love/hate relationship with them, but getting better.

Players like Luke and Carlton used EMGs and do the technique I described. OTOH, we can't know how it feels to them, cause that's a big part of it as well.

I want to retest again, esp. with the 335. Had many magical moments there. The 335 into an old Bassman. Wow! Many Clapton, Carlton, R Ford vibes there.
The 2nd time I went there, his Matchless was "just great", but the first time I heard it, it was a bomb of most amazing punchy grittyness all around like I've never heard. "Nothing like" Cliff's recent HC30 preset at first glance. He told me of course it depends on how long the amp has warmed up. I actually came closer to that sound on the Ultra long time ago.

The reason I've doubted that for a while is that Larry Carlton used to use them as well, and he's the last one I would expect to use them if they compressed so much. Didn't compromise his sound for me... But sometimes these guys have custom pickups too.

did you tried running your EMG at 18 volts?

did you tried running your EMG at 18 volts?
No... But thanks for reminding me!
I know what they say about that, but somewhere I believe I also read it wasn't worthwhile and it was more in people's head or something, so I then decided not to pursue that. May not be easy in a Luke either.
I'll first explore my other guitar again. It may be quite alright after all.

It's actually not sufficient to say they compress; they actually clip the signal in the guitar! Heard about this years ago, tested my EMG's and sure as ****, the waveform coming out of the guitar was very clearly clipped like it hit a brick wall limiter in the active electronics. (In my wayward youth, I used to have my Explorer equipped with the "Hetfield set" until I realized the sound I was really after - "my" sound - just wasn't in there, no matter how much I loved Master of puppets.)

I'll have to test 7.00 out to say anything about its dynamic range, but from the release notes I was hopeful there'd be dynamics for days on tap now..

It's actually not sufficient to say they compress; they actually clip the signal in the guitar!
Wow, thanks! But "clipped" normally means "distorted", no? So maybe you just mean the same as compressed here? "Head cut off, squashed"...? :) Cause if anything, I'd say EMGs can sound cleaner and purer.

I'll have to test 7.00 out to say anything about its dynamic range, but from the release notes I was hopeful there'd be dynamics for days on tap now..
Yes, there is, in the "scientific region" 0 - 100% ;) You can now easier go from clean to full-on with picking alone, not even needing guitar volume. But at least with the EMGs, I am just as quick to 100% as before (what I called dynamic max). I have now all hope to suspect it will be better with any passive PU. I'll try later today and with the 335 in the future, if I get the chance.

Why I dismissed it is ao because of this thread: HRI
But I've seen enough people like it, so I will try for sure (looking now if there's space in there :))

(seems there *is* space and an easy mod)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom