Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 7.00 Public Beta

1. DONT use Axe-Edit
2. Back up your patches
3. Make sure you have a firmware file of the firmware you're currently using
4. Back up your system settings
5. THEN AND ONLY THEN do you upgrade your firmware

That'll save us the step where you come here and ask "How do I get my axe-fx back the way it was?"

So if I had my DYNAMICS turned fully clockwise at FW 6.02 where it should be now,cause my sounds are now very compressed ?
Thanks

Well, that sucks. I guess thats the risk I took for downloading a beta. Bums me out. Most of my patches had "Y" as the amp setting....

BTW, guys, check out all the "Y" amp blocks. They are all scrambled in all patches, even stock ones. So, I guess I found a "BUG"

Happened with at least one firmware version before (5.x or 6.x, can't say for sure) that was not beta. Seems like some new firmware revisions "initialize" the amp block's Y state, though not with normal default values (e.g. all sliders in amp EQ at minimum and other strange things).

So if I had my DYNAMICS turned fully clockwise at FW 6.02 where it should be now,cause my sounds are now very compressed ?
Thanks

Maybe better if you adjust it using your ears and adjust to your own taste. But maybe it would be better to reset your amp block then start from scratch. You may get a better sound that way.

Alright, downloaded, preparing to update :mrgreen

Reading the release notes was a nice foreplay already, hehe. Thank you Mr. C!

I suppose that the sound of the new amp modeling is not subject to change from beta to full release (?) Unless there's a bug involved, of course.

Maybe better if you adjust it using your ears and adjust to your own taste. But maybe it would be better to reset your amp block then start from scratch. You may get a better sound that way.

Yes..I guess I will do that..I can feel some nice quality in sound even now with this "too much" compression at my old patches :)

The question of the hour is: why is loading firmware affecting patches?

A patch (or preset) is simply a numeric array of EVERY setting for EVERY block (amp/cab/effect) used on that patch.

If Cliff changes the range of a particular setting, or indeed adds new settings as he has done in 7.0, the old patch files are immediately not compatible any longer. I daresay he has added logic to fill in the 'missing' parameters with default values when upgrading from 6.x to 7.x. Parameters with changed value ranges will have to be manually calibrated by the user.

But when you downgrade again, the additional parameters will just not be recognised by earlier firmware.

I always wonder why anyone, Mac or PC would delete the previous FW's? They are tiny-Save them, at least 2 or 3 back. Jeeezzz. I also will not believe that "anyone" on this forum doesn't have multiple backups. Especially you guys that play out. I have backups in 3 different locations-besides on my PC. Yeah, I am that OCD-ish. I record only. I use X/Y amps and cabs mostly on ALL my patches. Guess I'll upgrade, take a look at a few and if need be-travel back in time-to 10 minutes earlier.

Last edited:
Yes... I just checked on the axe, and its not as scrambled... hmm... this is odd.

Axe-edit is not compatible with 7 yet. I would not use it until it is announced compatible with 7.
If you don't have a backup from 6.0 downgrade, save your patches, then upgrade again.

Thanks

I noticed that 50% (on axe-edit...straight at noon) is "0.0%" on the axefx. SO.....set it to noon. I had the same fear as you. All my patches sounded really stiff and congested.

Thanks

Start at noon (0%) and then adjust to taste. Positive values add pick attack, negative values remove it.

Sweet!

Curious- to make use of the new preamp modeling, compression modeling, dynamics modeling... do we need to rebuild existing patches? Or will the new parameters be correctly set on existing presets?

as exciting as this all is, I am a slave to Axe Edit so I will wait for the "official" release.
Very interested in the opinions,discoveries etc this firmware brings.
Also this is quite awesome of FAS to release a beta version, Cliff must be really pumped about this "epiphany"
he had.
But this thread does remind me , I need to do a full back up so off I go.

when there is no space remaining for any more possible mojo..

FAS goes and finds some...

and stuffs a pile more in there...

A.... fkn... maz... in'

Guthrie's right you know...
the Axe has switched from engineering to witchcraft...

now I don't know if I'm hearing this right...
but I think I'm getting better definition and clarity in the hi-gain tones [5153Red and old VH4]..
and the Hiwatt seems somehow 'sweeter'

The best thing is to reset the amp block by deselecting then reselecting the model. This will set parameters to their default value. I believe Dynamics won't get reset though so you should check that value.

Back
Top Bottom