Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 6.01 Up

I hate to say it, but I agree with Rick's assessment. I can't help but think there is something going on with our particular units, since most people seem to be loving 6.01. I may have to try a complete reset and reload of factory presets, just to make sure I'm starting with a blank slate. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had issues. I think I had issues initially with 6.0c and eventually cleared it through a factory reset.

One interesting thing I noticed tonight was that the "Y" amp setting on a slightly tweaked factory preset had the amp type as 5153 Red and the input trim set to the minimum (0.100) and was silent as a result. I had never touched the Y settings though, so I have no idea how it got that way or why it would have been set to the newly released 5153 amp.

EDIT: Actually, all of the Y amps on the factory presets seem to have the 5153 Red and a bunch of oddball settings... Active tonestack, bias = 0.000, transformer match = 0.100, transformer drive = 0.01. I just reloaded factory bank A using Axe-Edit and I'm still seeing these strange settings.

I should probably log this under bugs, but is anyone else seeing this or am I just the lucky one? ;-)

I'm getting the sense that some mid/high has been lost. Scott suggested turning the former match up to 1.1 - I've tried this but it's not really correcting it. Something's changed across the board on high gains for sure. I can't seem to get a nice "scape" sound on palm mutes any more with high gain amps (more like a thump without the scape). I'm trying to add in highs in various ways (speak res, definition, xformr match, dynamics, presence, treble) but I can't seem to get the balance of tone I had with 6.0 unless I add a drive block. As stated above, would be good to hear more comments on this. The forum is suspiciously quiet about how the amps sound in this release.

Yes, I noticed "y" amp was silent as well on the 5153 red Amp. I couldn't figure it out. So I just pasted "x" to it and then changed it to Blue.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Rick's assessment. I can't help but think there is something going on with our particular units, since most people seem to be loving 6.01. I may have to try a complete reset and reload of factory presets, just to make sure I'm starting with a blank slate. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has had issues. I think I had issues initially with 6.0c and eventually cleared it through a factory reset.

One interesting thing I noticed tonight was that the "Y" amp setting on a slightly tweaked factory preset had the amp type as 5153 Red and the input trim set to the minimum (0.100) and was silent as a result. I had never touched the Y settings though, so I have no idea how it got that way or why it would have been set to the newly released 5153 amp.

EDIT: Actually, all of the Y amps on the factory presets seem to have the 5153 Red and a bunch of oddball settings... Active tonestack, bias = 0.000, transformer match = 0.100, transformer drive = 0.01. I just reloaded factory bank A using Axe-Edit and I'm still seeing these strange settings.

I should probably log this under bugs, but is anyone else seeing this or am I just the lucky one? ;-)

I'm getting the sense that some mid/high has been lost. Scott suggested turning the former match up to 1.1 - I've tried this but it's not really correcting it. Something's changed across the board on high gains for sure.

I tried the xformer match up as per the release notes but that didn't fix it for me either.

I am away from home for 3 months. Didn't take my Axe FxII :( so can't try the new stuff.... Will be using a crate GT212 for 3 months as far as all my electric guitar sound is concerned. I guess it will be interesting,as I know when I get back I'll appreciate my Axe FxII even more. It can easily eat my old Crate Amp and many others for breakfast. Enjoy the new firmware guys :)

I only had a half hour to sample some of what's new in 6.01. The 5153 models ate most of that time. Really great sounding models - all three! I also had a few minutes to mess with the updated Rotary block. The new parameters definitely add some versatility (the Drive parameter is great!). I didn't get a chance to try the updated tuner or the new Drive pedals. I give them a go tomorrow.

Whatever it is that the adjustment to transformer matching did it sounds great! Right after the update I started the AxeII where it had been just before - my favorite Plexi Bright patch. It sounds... better! This seemed to be the case with a few other presets I dialed up before setting up the 5153 models. Improvement is always a good thing. Thanks Cliff and FAS team! Great stuff here! :)

I'll admit that I didn't spend much time with 6.0 as I've been obsessed with a Mini Rectifier recently, but 6.01 got my attention this afternoon. Like the update when the Axe got 'greasy', 6.01 really does something right by me. As a long time Lovepedal fan I have to say the Eternal Love is outstanding, I know it's too much to ask but a Lovepedal Darling Devil Distortion model would complement the Eternal Love so well!

I am definitely not getting the same results as alot of you guys, there is now how I could best describe as a ghost 'sheen' above the whole frequency spectrum that is now common with all the high gain amps that wasn't there before, it makes them all sound as though they are similar.

A better analogy might be that it's like if you are running many different preamps all through the same poweramp and the characteristic of that poweramp is shining through rather than the preamp.

v6 and previously before that v5.4 I think it was were the only firmwares I have used that had every gain amp really sounding like they had their own character rather than sharing some common tonalities.

I have wondered about this before: is there a correlation between happy/unhappy with new firmware and FRFR/non-FRFR? So, if anyone's game, how about simply saying whether you like or dislike 6.01 and whether you're FRFR or using a physical guitar cab? How about are you more of a clean to breakup player, or high gain? As for me, I will upgrade today or tomorrow on my FRFR system and I'll let you know what I think. Part of the issue is that the human brain/ear cannot accurately compare two sounds that are more than a few seconds apart. I.e. almost none of us have two IIs to directly A/B.That said, this interesting disparity between experiences with each and every release is... interesting. Is it personal ears? Playing style? Such divergent opinions...

I have wondered about this before: is there a correlation between happy/unhappy with new firmware and FRFR/non-FRFR? So, if anyone's game, how about simply saying whether you like or dislike 6.01 and whether you're FRFR or using a physical guitar cab? How about are you more of a clean to breakup player, or high gain? As for me, I will upgrade today or tomorrow on my FRFR system and I'll let you know what I think. Part of the issue is that the human brain/ear cannot accurately compare two sounds that are more than a few seconds apart. I.e. almost none of us have two IIs to directly A/B.That said, this interesting disparity between experiences with each and every release is... interesting. Is it personal ears? Playing style? Such divergent opinions...
My vote : Mega-Happy - FRFR - Crystal-Clean to Very Higain

Am I the only one who cannot see all 5153 channels on Axe-Edit? Please Cliff, fix this! And yes, last Axe-Edit version.

Are you absolutely sure you have Axe-Edit 1.0.304 running?

5153.jpg

If you have the axe edit setup for Ultra or standard mode they will not appear. It must be set for Axe II

I'm on the fence about 6.01. It sounds good in general and if I never heard 6.00 I'd have nothing to say, but there's some mojo not there. I didn't feel the same joy as 6.00. It could be imaginary or Tue strings are a little duller. I don't know. I won't lose sleep over it

Only a short time to play with it yesterday, but I'm digging it so far. Not having any of the issues listed here, the tuner is MUCH better, the 5153 is outstanding and the only changes to my original patches were minimal and for the better. Excited to play with the new "toys" later this afternoon.

Using FRFR, BTW...

Back
Top Bottom