Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 2.00 Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has everyone who is raving about the 2.0 release done the preset updates as well? The reason I ask is that I installed 2.0 last night, but alas, no magic. I really couldn't detect any difference. However, I did not update the presets and I'm wondering if that is key to hearing the improvement.

I've only had the Axe II a week and the G2 goodnes over the Ultra is evident. However, I'm still hearing a lot of low end on the E and A strings that must be dialed out. I had that on the Ultra as well. In fact when I previewed the heavy overdrive presets last night they seemed very overbearing on the low end energy. I hope the updated presets does the trick.

Thanks

As I've seen in previous posts, I think you might need to reinitialise the Axe II (and also hard boot it perhaps) after the update.
As for the low frequencies, are you sure they are not caused because of the room/position of cab etc? Just asking because you said you had the same problem with the gen1...

Last edited:
Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes
Added “Triode Hardness” parameter to amp block. This parameter controls how sharply the triodes enter saturation and can be used to simulate softer or harder tubes. The default value is 5.0 and is set to this value whenever the type is changed. The effect of this is subtle and most apparent at edge of breakup. Lower values give softer saturation, higher values give a more aggressive breakup.

NOTE: Existing presets should be checked as this value may load to a value of other than 5.0 depeding upon what version of firmware was originally used to create the preset. All factory presets have been reworked as the factory presets will load to 0.0.

I am confused by the release notes. Are the reworked presets supposed to have "Triode Harshness" at 5.0, or at 0.0? When I load any of the reworked presets (http://fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware+presets/axe-fx-2/2.0/Axe-Fx-II-preset-banks-2.0.zip), they load up as 5.0 for me.

Have the Fender models been reworked, too? Looking for edge-of-breakup Fender tone (Deluxe Reverb in particular).

Oh yeah!!!!!!!!! I've been playing with the first 4 factory patches which are old fenders and that big bouncy bass no no modeler has ever nailed - it's there. I had #2 Brownface up and switched the amp to Deluxe Verb. I can't describe it beyond saying it's as incredible as the other Fenders, maybe more so. With a Tele it's everything you'd expect from a Deluxe.

What's been lacking in any modeler is edge of breakup with girth, where your picking technique changes the sound from clean to grit. In the past the cleans seemed to thin and the grit seemed like it was separated, kinda floating above your sound. That's all gone. The patches where your just breaking up have improved pick sensitivity, warmth, girth, everything!!!

Thanks Cliff!!!!!

As I've seen in previous posts, I think you might need to reinitialise the Axe II (and also hard boot it perhaps) after the update.
As for the low frequencies, are you sure they are not caused because of the room/position of cab etc? Just asking because you said you had the same problem with the gen1...

Yes, I did reset the system params and hard boot. As far as the low freq's, I get the same with phones. These can be managed via amp low cut, cab, mic, and eq options, but it seems strange that 95% of the amps require this to avoid the low strings overpowering the high strings.

Almost all the 2.0 reviews report this has been improved.

Yes, I did reset the system params and hard boot. As far as the low freq's, I get the same with phones. These can be managed via amp low cut, cab, mic, and eq options, but it seems strange that 95% of the amps require this to avoid the low strings overpowering the high strings.

Almost all the 2.0 reviews report this has been improved.

Yes, the low end is improved, but that's doesn't imply that there's "less" bass.

PS And start by sliding down the 30Hz faders in the Global EQ.

Last edited:
Has everyone who is raving about the 2.0 release done the preset updates as well? The reason I ask is that I installed 2.0 last night, but alas, no magic. I really couldn't detect any difference. However, I did not update the presets and I'm wondering if that is key to hearing the improvement.

Update firmware, hard boot, then updated system parameters, then installed new factory presets, hard boot. I'm using the Global EQ and on the lowest 2 bands I'm down 7 or 8 db, bands 125 - 1k are lowered 1.75 - 3db then 4K is up 1.8db. With my monitors this works really well and the presets are sounding fairly consistent.

Yes, the low end is improved, but that's doesn't imply that there's "less" bass.

PS And start by sliding down the 30Hz faders in the Global EQ.

I agree. I'm really referring to low frequencies that overpower the tone. Adjustments generally have to made so that when hitting a full chord, the low strings don't overpower the high ones. Same with playing a phrase or scale across all 6 strings, the lower strings are too predominant.

This can be managed, and I use PEQ/GEQ combo's to do that (along with the many other variable options). No question this is improved in G2 modeling and I'm loving what I'm getting so far. For instance, I've never used the Fender sims before...just didn't sound right to my ears. I've spent the last 3 days jamming on nothing but the Bassman, Deluxe, and Vibroverb models. Sound great with and with out drives.

I'm just wanting to hear the differerence that 2.0 is making and haven't see that yet. Hopefully tonight when I update the presets!

Thanks for your respose!

What about the factory presets that are stored in the separate, onboard FLASH ROM? Do these contain old 1.x versions or do they get updated by installing the 2.00 firmware?

Anyone else getting a series of clicks/pops when adjusting out2 volume knob after updating to 2.0?

I don't remember this happening before i updated....

Gotta say the difference to the distortion preset I use is very noticeable - and in a good way. For only the 2nd firmware release this thing sure is pulling some almighty tones out ! Many thanks Cliff.

"EDIT: 2.00c is now up with Jr. Blues model fixed and distorted tuner indicator fixed. "

Also, for me at least, fixed the issue with the AXE freezing when connected to USB. Not sure why. Support said nothing changed that should effect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom