Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 2.00 Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you got off easy :)

My axe is now a brick....rebooted after the firmware install, came back up, reset utility/parameters, rebooted.....now system comes up to a preset with no sound and responds to no key presses (or wheel turns) :(

Mine hung up on 'verifying' as well....something happened to my global cab settings...they all switched to 'y' when they were on 'x' previously, and I think 'x' is a different cab as well.

Also, one of my global amps changed from 'euro blue', on y, to 'recto orange modern', also on y.
Mine hung up on verifiying also. I reloaded, 1.05 then went to 2.00 and it worked ok the 2nd time around

From the Firmware release notes:

So, I went to the support page to get the latest "reworked" factory presets, but the text for Axe Fx II has this old date (and the comment says Ultra)

Axe-Fx II Preset Banks A, B and C
7/25/2010 - Banks A, B, and C for the Axe-Fx Ultra
Current for latest firmware - (Sysex file in zip archive)

and this is the download link:
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware+presets/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-preset-banks.zip

Are these the reworked factory presets?

Those have a date back in July. Where are the reworked factory presets? Anyone?

So, a little progress but still not good.
Rebooting with 'recall' held brings up an empty patch. I can manually add amps, etc. to this blank patch and get sound. All seems well.
However, whenever the preset value is changed up (or down) to one of the factory presets, the system is frozen.
Does anyone have a link to the 'A' version of 2.0 and I can try that?

From the "firmware.txt" file:

7. After the flash has been reprogrammed the unit should automatically reboot. Occasionally the unit may not reboot automatically in which case turn the unit off, wait several seconds and turn back on.

So, a little progress but still not good.
Rebooting with 'recall' held brings up an empty patch. I can manually add amps, etc. to this blank patch and get sound. All seems well.
However, whenever the preset value is changed up (or down) to one of the factory presets, the system is frozen.
Does anyone have a link to the 'A' version of 2.0 and I can try that?

Your presets are corrupted. Do the hold recall button thing but don't touch any buttons. Reinstall factory presets.

I really believe that a hard boot would solve most of these issues at Firmware update time. Mine was...odd, until I just restarted it again.

Ron

Your presets are corrupted. Do the hold recall button thing but don't touch any buttons. Reinstall factory presets.

Thanks for the suggestion (wasn't expecting a fractal response from a user forum)
So, I downloaded the Axe-II factory presets, imported into Axe Manage, and then sent Bank A to the Axe-Fx. Selecting Preset 000 got an initial noise (1 second maybe) and then the entire unit hung....only way to react with it is to recall/reboot.....

I think Cliff or whoever is responding to the support emails at this hour (thank you whoever it is!!!) may have gotten my issue debugged. I don't know the cause but they sent me a .syx file that seems to solve my problems for me.

the Cameron actually sounds fantastic as is at the moment. If it'd be redone and sound hugely different, I could even see mysely pledging for the old version ;) .

eventhough Cliff "admitted" that it could be improved once he has the real amp, I always find it interesting how people (not you) comment on amp models where they've probably never even played the real deal, as mostly is the case with Camerons.

The Cameron patch now sounds really boomy and muddy, It sounded great before this update.

The AC30 patch that was glorious before the update (to v2.00b), has lost its sparkle... it was glorious in 1.05...

Last edited:
The AC30 patch that was glorious before the update (to v2.00b), has lost its sparkle... it was glorious in 1.05...

Have you fiddled with the Triode Plate Freq's and Triode Hardeness? These are new parameters and your old presets could need some tweaking (this thread starts with RTFRN and the release notes mention that old presets will need some tweaking with 2.0 firmware). I've re-loaded the factory presets and on the Vox patches I'm bumping up the Presence and treble a bit (and I've never bumped up the presence on anything in the past).

From the Release Notes regarding Triode Plate Frequency: This capacitor is used to smooth the response and reduce noise. You can adjust the amount of capacitance, and the resulting frequency, using this parameter. The value of this new feature can reduce 'sparkle'. Changing the Triode Plate Freq. as well as Treble and Presence should bring back some if not all of the missing 'sparkle'. If you're using a patch with a lot of preamp gain this feature should help smooth out any 'fizzy-ness'. Sparkle on a low-gain amp can turn into fizzy distortion on a high-gain amp.

I've been playing with the AC15 patch for a couple hours and it's sounding more like my AC15's (Heritage Handwired TV and the new heritage handwired Fawn) than I could get before version 2 firmware.

The Bassman model is now incredible also. The 'Bassman About 2 Explode' patch sounds like a 5E5A tweed Pro I built a while back.

Version 2 is a 'man lands on the moon' moment for me. For years I'll be telling people "I remember where I was when Axe2 firmware 2 was released and for the first time an amp modeller nailed a pushed clean non master volume amp".

Last edited:
The Cameron patch now sounds really boomy and muddy, It sounded great before this update.
Yup, same here. Is there something I'm missing, or did this model change quite a bit? Changing the Triode Hardness does not restore the previous sound, which I really loved.

EDIT: I'm willing to "re-learn" this amp, just curious if there were significant changes to it. It use to be super tight and very trebly, now it's boomier and not nearly as trebly, especially at higher master volumes. I have no idea what real Cameron sounds like, and that's not really that important to me, I just got used to this amp and now it's changed.

EDIT 2: After tweaking with this a bunch, I am able to get some really nice growl out of it, so no complaints. :)

Last edited:
Just before the Axe II first came out, my number one wish for the effects section was for improvements to the Rotary effect (different spin rates for horn & bass rotor, along with corresponding acceleration/deceleration rates).

Cliff has now delivered my wish in his usual understated, yet spectacular style. And given me a bonus of improved amp sims and cabinet warping!

Thank you, Cliff!!

Just checking that you guys are using the updated presets for v2?

Could also be the fact that axe edit doesn't know all of the new permameters. Depends on how they were uploaded.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Just checking that you guys are using the updated presets for v2?

Could also be the fact that axe edit doesn't know all of the new permameters. Depends on how they were uploaded.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Updated presets? Where do I find those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom