Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 13.02 Released

Cliff, with the updated UltraRes IR Library (#3), will you add the future speakers that Kevin is doing to that library or will that be yet another one?

(I really don’t mind buying the extra UltraRes library, just wanting to know what I’m buying)

Will there be any sound difference between, using Wave files via CabLab to get UltraRes from Normal Cabs and the Done itself $99.99 Cab Pack?

Are they gonna be identical when we make it at home? :)

With all the continued development of the AxeFX I have enjoyed over the years I have had it, I am very pleased to pay my $99 to purchase the new UR cab packs, even though I already have bought the previous cabs from OH. FAS deserves my full support for all they offer and I believe the value I am getting is well worth the money. Although I have CabLab, the research into the tech to provide this tech and pack is deserving of what it costs not to mention the work put into converting them.

One thing I am wondering though is whether the T1 and T2 mixes will be available for Ultra res some how? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it. Either that or formulas to come up with them myself with CabLab when it is updated as I think even with the new CabLab I can not create these mixes without knowing the ingredients and mix values. I tend to favor these in the previous OH cab packs.

Thanks

One thing I am wondering though is whether the T1 and T2 mixes will be available for Ultra res some how? Sorry if this was answered elsewhere and I missed it. Either that or formulas to come up with them myself with CabLab when it is updated as I think even with the new CabLab I can not create these mixes without knowing the ingredients and mix values. I tend to favor these in the previous OH cab packs.

Thanks

I personally do not believe in using a tube amp to capture IRs so that's why they are not included. The whole purpose of an IR is to capture the speaker/mic/pre/etc. as accurately as possible. This can only be done using a good solid-state amp.

I personally do not believe in using a tube amp to capture IRs so that's why they are not included. The whole purpose of an IR is to capture the speaker/mic/pre/etc. as accurately as possible. This can only be done using a good solid-state amp.

I understand your point, thanks for the response. I am sure I can get the results I am looking for with what is in that pack. I am a bit new to cab selection and just need to train my ears a bit more which is better for me in the long run.

I just updated to 13.02 straight from 12.02, then clicked the "update all presets". This is hands down the best the Axe FXII has ever sounded and felt. Love the new Axe Edit also. Cab Lab enabled me to do my own mixes of the Ownhammer Modern and Vintage Studio Mix IRs. Great customer service also. I can't thank Cliff and the team enough.

When the new Cab Lab comes out will we be able to create UltraRes IRs, then mix together different UltraRes IRs like we can now with the current Ownhammer IRs?

No, you've paid to buy IRs (HiRes) and you've got them.

Turn back time two days. All is well.
Aw shucks.

Two days ago I extrapolated statements on this forum to mean that Ultrares IRs would be added to the OH's own libraries in due time. Apparently that became different. I can understand people being slightly disappointed.

Good I only bought one cab set.

Last edited:
I just updated to 13.02 straight from 12.02, then clicked the "update all presets". This is hands down the best the Axe FXII has ever sounded and felt. Love the new Axe Edit also. Cab Lab enabled me to do my own mixes of the Ownhammer Modern and Vintage Studio Mix IRs. Great customer service also. I can't thank Cliff and the team enough.

When the new Cab Lab comes out will we be able to create UltraRes IRs, then mix together different UltraRes IRs like we can now with the current Ownhammer IRs?

You cannot mix UltraRes IRs as the data format is not conducive to this. However in the Cab Pack are ".ir" files which is the raw IR data which will be able to be imported into CabLab and mixed. You can also import .wav and normal sysex files. You can then create an UltraRes IR from the mix.

You cannot mix UltraRes IRs as the data format is not conducive to this. However in the Cab Pack are ".ir" files which is the raw IR data which will be able to be imported into CabLab and mixed. You can also import .wav and normal sysex files. You can then create an UltraRes IR from the mix.

Sounds like CabLab will become a necessary purchase, regardless?

Will Cab Lab allow formating RAW8k .ir to .wav? I`m willing to pay for Cab Lab, but really just interested to the convertion department of CabLab. I like to capture IRs with the Axe-Fx, but mix them live in my DAW. For recording & to re-capture satisfying mix-results with the Axe-Fx again to Ultra-Res. Don`t get me wrong, but the "offline" mixing ability in CabLab is not for me. And for using own captured IRs in the mix, i want (need) .wav! This is to me the needle eye - when not having the ability to convert from .ir to .wav.

Last edited:
If I capture IRs with the "IR Capture Utility" of the Axe-Fx II and dump them in RAW format, can these be mixed with the coming CAB-LAB?

i think people are having trouble with this whole thing because it's software-based. we're getting the results of months/years of work put in our axe-fx ii's without "seeing" much of what's been done.

what about the CLR speakers. they were released with normal weight speakers, but now they are available with the neo's with less weight. you have to pay to get your original CLR swapped out with the new speakers. of course some people will complain that it should be free because they already/just bought the original CLRs. but why should it be free? it's a completely different speaker that needs to be physically installed.

or let's get even more ridiculous and say we want to change the engine of a car. i bought this car. paid a lot of money. they just came out with a new engine that performs better. should that engine be free? can i go to the car dealer and say hey, i bought this car 2 months ago, now i want the new engine you offer for free. i already bought and paid for the car, dude give me the new engine.

now back to the axe. tons of work going into UltraRes. tons of research and testing. it's finally ready, but do we see that ton of work? no we spend about 2 minutes upgrading the firmware and it's in there. and guess what - it was free.

with the car and speaker example, you can see them work on it, you can touch and feel the change, you can visually confirm the change by seeing the new engine or seeing the new speaker. the axe? it has a version number on an LCD screen and (hopefully) you can hear and sense the differences. it didn't take you long to upgrade to it, so it must have been easy.

oh wait, the old stuff i had doesn't work with the new UltraRes? wtf it should just work and be free too! <-- no way.

this has been tough for the consumer for a while now with tons of new software and "apps" being available to more of the general public, mostly because of smartphones. i always see comments regarding software such as "why should i have to pay for software, i already bought the computer. software should be free because a computer is useless without it. they're just trying to get my money for something i can download because i pay for the internet. software isn't tangible so i shouldn't have to pay." ugh. lame.

Okay...I'm not going to pile in on the name-calling and finger-pointing here, but I would like to make a point, that I think is deserved by the Fractal group:

When Fender was selling the Tele model, then later came out with the Strat, they didn't contact their buyers, and offer a free upgrade, if you'd just purchased a Tele a week before.....

When Mesa made the Mk II, and then came out with the Mk IIc, Randal Smith didn't contact the Mark II owners, and offer to swap them out.....

When Marshall was making amps with the KT-66's, and tubes became scarce, and they switched to EL-34's, they didn't offer to upgrade everyone who'd bought one in the past few weeks, as a good-will gesture....

When Fractal comes out with upgrades and updates they constantly offer them to their user base; most of the time this is free of charge. They work tirelessly, to keep their products on the cutting edge, and to provide a tone source for their fellow artists.

Fractal deserves to be reimbursed for some of their efforts - period. Why else, and HOW else, would they be able to continue to stay in business, if they just gave everything away?!?! Hey, I'm a cheapskate as much as the next guy - but at a point, you've got to give in and chip in a little, or the golden goose will not be able to continue to lay those golden eggs. Lighten up a little, and turn loose of a few of those pinched pennies, and enjoy this gear for what it is. I can't think of any other product out there that offers the quality of user base support that Fractal does. I'm not trying to defend them, jump on the band wagon, or any thing else. I usually stay out of these petty discussions, but I think this needs to be said. This is a concept that needs to be understood. No matter WHAT you buy - car, house, groceries, music, air conditioner, lawn mower, or carpet, at some point there will be an upgrade, and it may come shortly after you just purchased last year's model.... the seller does not owe you to upgrade you at no cost - that's business. It's disappointing, and I've been there, so I can dig it, but that's just how it is. We've got to support those who are supporting us. It's the ONLY way to make this work. Fractal is not a government supported program that takes from the rich and gives to the poor - it's a private enterprise of folks working hard to provide the best they can, and hope to be able to make a living in return - just a little bit from each of us, and it adds up to allowing them, with their own special skills set, to share with us.

Off my soapbox, and back to the original programming; I apologize that I've broken into this thread in this way - I'm not a fan-boi, but I am a satisfied user supporting someone who's worked hard, and shouldn't even need to be be reading/listening to this sort of blather.

Love the firmware upgrade. I originally had not intended to purchase the Cab-Lab, or the IR's. I've been down the rabbit hole so many times chasing IR tones, that I had sworn off continually chasing that futility. BUT.... the Ownhammer IR's, compiled and converted by Fractal changed my mind. OH and Fractal really deserve an atta-boy for all their hard work on these. I plunked down my change for the Cab Pack 3, and will pick up the next version of Cab-Lab when it is able to convert some of my old IR's to the Hi/Ultra Rez mode. Maybe I can still make good use of some of my old Redwire IR's. These really floated my boat a year or two ago, but the OH's sound SO good, that now I need to upgrade the Redwires. One of those First World Problems we just have to suffer through...:nightmare:

If OwnHammer makes longer IRs available to his previous customers that is up to him.

Presumably, these longer .wav files already exist or else what would Fractal used to create the OH UltraRes library.
I just hope it doesn't take too long for Kevin to make them available on his site.

Back
Top Bottom