Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

I agree - I can detect NO change in sound when changing the tube types - subtle or otherwise. Posted this a few days back.

If someone does detect a change in sound, would they mind detailing what they changed and what they heard so I/we can try and hear it as well?

Should be subtle...

It's not like other products where there is a huge change in frequency response. It's realistic and, therefore, subtle. Other products drastically change their frequency response when switching "tubes" but that's simply not realistic.

The change in sound is "YOU" - because if you're able to adapt the feel changes then you can play this out as tonal aspect and let it be heard! I refer this to my dumble flip clips - you can't hear them unless you feel them and play them out, so others who know what I was talking about will hear them too..... ;)

When I change the power tube types using my 5153 preset I hear a slight change in the high end clarity. Some of the setting have just a little more high end to them than others. For me...it's not a huge change, but enough to pick out. Def. helps to have the output up higher to hear the change.

Does 12.04 work at gig volume?

Here's last night. Yes…those are togas
12161277044_621b7bc3f1.jpg

And yes, that girl was falling out of hers.
It's working here ;-)

12161524226_55f8f7b830_z.jpg

Last edited:
Two gigs this week on the beta. Sounds great!

Using a shiver LD with El34s for lower gain and another patch with a shiver LD with 6l6 (the default) for higher gain tones. Great differences in feel and tone. Especially the differences in the low end.

I'm endorsed by Bogner, I'm curious that the shiver LD is based of the 20th anniversary. They usually have kt88s in the 20th. My shiva 20th got custom built with EL34s. The AxeFx sounds scary close.

Hey Rosh, YES it is the Anni Shiva that was used for the model. I have an Older 6L6 Shiva (Love it) it has the most beautiful Cleans. I am going to try switching out the Shiver model to the 6L6s to see if I can hear the difference. For owners of Bogner Shivas here, past and present, we can attest that the three tube types EL34 - 6L6 - KT88 (as well as differing wattages) each have a unique sound and Feel from each.

Going to studio now to try the 6L6 swap on 12.04b

It has been a while since I have worked on tube amps, but I used to do it for a living. I can assure you that in the vintage marshalls, and to a lesser degree fenders, that I worked on, you could tell a difference between tubes. And not just tube types, but different el34s sounded different and more importantly, felt different. This was especially true years ago (late 80's, early 90's) when El34 tube quality was a real issue. The old chinese tubes were way different than russian tubes, for example. The difference between 6550's and el34's in a marshall is definitely noticeable and they feel totally different.

Keep in mind, we're talking about power tubes that are being pushed into distortion. It is pretty well known that power tubes that are not pushed display circuit and design differences to a lesser degree.

You can also tell a subtle but noticeable difference between a 12ax7 and a 12ay7 in the first position of a '59 bassman. It is part of the trick to making a reissue sound and feel like the real deal.

I would also state that there are controls in the axefx that have much greater impact on tone and feel than "tube type".

Having chimed in of this, let me also say that for me, a person well acquainted with those orgasmically wonderful classic tube amp tones, the axefx has fulfilled all of the requirements of a tube amp and more. In my opinion, the axe sounds as good and is as organic in its tone and feel as a real tube amp with the benefit of world class fx's both prior to and after the power amp. I have a hard time understanding folks who don't get great tone and feel out of this machine!

With all due respect and Imho.

Re - Tube types in Shiver - I went to swap out the Shiva Anniversary "Shiver Clean" tubes from the Anni's KT-88's but They were already 6L6's. Perhaps this was done purposely?? (The 6L6 Shiva has the sweetest cleans IMHO) or is it possible that some of the tube types as they are set in 12.04b are not 100% accurate to the modeled amplifiers??
In any case, I meant to be 3 or 4 minutes but again got side tracked by how awesome the Shiver Clean (just the latest 12.04b amp audition) sounded after pumping the MV to 8-ish / kicking up the LF - swapped out the DRV to BB Pre (where / when engaged) set@ 3.0 Drive and 35% mix with a bump on the level - and it was an hour plus of pure tonejoyment. I have not yet been able to just check something real quick on 12.04b without a segue into finding more great tones in this new FW - Luvinit

Reactions: ALE
With all the tube types it seems like we would hear something

I run MV on most of the presets I'm currently using from around 7 to 10 ,BE and HBE lower, but the difference in switching types is subtle .but very noticeable for me, it's not really a tone change , more of a change in the way they clip ! 6L6 will be a bit rounder on the bottom that EL34's ,, then KT66 bigger sounding , KT88 bigger yet etc! they all clip differently and have a little different flavor ! It isn't a slap you in the face experience ,it's subtle .

Re - Tube types in Shiver - I went to swap out the Shiva Anniversary "Shiver Clean" tubes from the Anni's KT-88's but They were already 6L6's. Perhaps this was done purposely?? (The 6L6 Shiva has the sweetest cleans IMHO) or is it possible that some of the tube types as they are set in 12.04b are not 100% accurate to the modeled amplifiers??
In any case, I meant to be 3 or 4 minutes but again got side tracked by how awesome the Shiver Clean (just the latest 12.04b amp audition) sounded after pumping the MV to 8-ish / kicking up the LF - swapped out the DRV to BB Pre (where / when engaged) set@ 3.0 Drive and 35% mix with a bump on the level - and it was an hour plus of pure tonejoyment. I have not yet been able to just check something real quick on 12.04b without a segue into finding more great tones in this new FW - Luvinit

My Shiva has 6L6s.

I have noticed a subtle difference but can't put my finger on what I'm hearing.

i agree, I was a huge tube swapper back in the day. We have to remember in the real world it may take a few minutes to wait for the tubes to cool and swap them in and out. Your brain would have a rough time doing any real comparison unlike the AxeFx which is instant. I've already been guilty of the phantom improvement even on the AxeFx. I was flipping through tubes noticing all the subtle changes and then realized i was editing the wrong amp block which was muted... lol. It happens to everyone.

i agree, I was a huge tube swapper back in the day. We have to remember in the real world it may take a few minutes to wait for the tubes to cool and swap them in and out. Your brain would have a rough time doing any real comparison unlike the AxeFx which is instant. I've already been guilty of the phantom improvement even on the AxeFx. I was flipping through tubes noticing all the subtle changes and then realized i was editing the wrong amp block which was muted... lol. It happens to everyone.

I've adjusted a parametric EQ. for several minutes, a little tweak...ya, that's got it....Ok, maybe a little more..there we go...no, maybe a little more still...Ya, that's spot on...no just a bit more. Then i look at where it's set at +20dB! I was adjusting a muted EQ block all that time. :eek:ops

Seems to me if you wanted to mimic the effect of a tube swap in the real world on the Axe then you would also have to change the bias (could be somewhat random as different tubes have different characteristics, even of the same type) & also the transformer match due to the different plate impedance of different tube types. Am I in the ballpark or way off base here? I have no idea what you should change the transformer match value to though...

Seems to me if you wanted to mimic the effect of a tube swap in the real world on the Axe then you would also have to change the bias (could be somewhat random as different tubes have different characteristics, even of the same type) & also the transformer match due to the different plate impedance of different tube types. Am I in the ballpark or way off base here? I have no idea what you should change the transformer match value to though...

I was wondering how all that worked as well?

Back
Top Bottom