Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

Damn! Last night was the first night in weeks I was not on the forum and I stroll in tonight and find this!

And I have gig on Friday, so I'm not gonna get to to try this out until Saturday :(

Thanks Cliff and FAS!

I too find the bass a lot tighter/cleaner and easier to control; you can up the Bass control without the low end falling apart and it just seems to dial in nicer/easier. Same with the higher frequencies; adding Presence gives a nice sheen/sparkle without harshness. The feel has improved so much in the 12x series, as has the dynamics...astounding to play thru.

I cranked quite loud with several NMV amps and mind=blown.

I played for a couple hours. It definitely made the sound easier on the ears at louder volumes. All is as described from what I could hear. It really is noticeable

Sweet!!!

This is all sounding awesome. Cliff, how much change do you anticipate between the beta and the release version?

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication! Don't ever change!

It really is like having a musical conversation now. I speak and the amp speaks back. I have no idea what we were talking about but an hour or so later and I still have a smile on my face.
Excellent work cliff and team!

To paraphrase 10CC ... I don't like Fractal, oh no, I love it!!
"I... don't want to work.
I just want to play my guitar all day..."

:lol We used to ski Alta and Snowbird ... until a CFO friend of mine in the jewelry business gave up his time share in the Iron Blossom Lodge and bought a house in Eden.
Now we suffer through the slopes of Powder Mountain and the 2002 Men's Downhill Run at Snow Basin. :cry:
Fractalites - can I get me some pity votes from my brothers? Anyone? :encouragement:
EDIT: Yes - before anyone asks - my friend does have a hot tub ... ping pong and Foosball too! :)
No pity votes here, unless... PLEASE BRING SOME OF THAT EASTERN SNOW WITH YOU!!!!! ;-)
I love the Bird.

None I hope. Any changes would just be bug fixes and little tweaks. So far there are no reports of any bugs so I'll probably release it soon.

My delays are definitely messed up, and resetting the block doesn't fix it. As soon as I assign one of the Scenes to the modifier source for Feedback I'm hosed.

UPDATE: I also seem to be experiencing intermittent issues with my scenes not switching when I click one of the Scene buttons on the MFC.

Last edited:
Did you perhaps update from a 12.03 beta?
If yes, read the final release notes, adjust the Delay Feedback parameters.

Did you also update the MFC firmware?

Did you perhaps update from a 12.03 beta?
If yes, read the final release notes, adjust the Delay Feedback parameters.

Did you also update the MFC firmware?

I upgraded from 12.03 GA, and have tried resetting the block as well as changing the feedback parameters. Can you give me a specific example of what I should be doing? Even if I delete the block and recreate it, it still exhibits the same behavior. Furthermore, I can create a brand new patch, and simply add a delay to cause this behavior. Am I alone in being able to reproduce this phenomenon? If that's the case, it sucks to be me, I guess.

Here's EXACTLY what I'm doing to reproduce this issue, nothing more, nothing less:

1. Create a brand new patch with nothing but shunts and a Delay block.
2. Set delay to Vintage Digital
3. Click the right Page button then highlight Feedback and click Enter
4. Select Scene 2 for Source

Strum a chord.

As for the MFC, no, I hadn't updated my firmware. Thanks, I'll try that.

UPDATE: Reading the release notes on the MFC firmware, it sounds like it adds a couple of new features, but since I haven't updated I should not be affected adversely.

Last edited:
The sound seems to come from all around. You can really hear it when using headphones but it does it with monitors too.

I was A/B'ing against a certain modeler (whose name shall not be spoken) and before I felt there wasn't that much difference between the two. Now, in comparison, the other modeler sounds like the sound is coming right from the speaker whereas the Axe-Fx seems to come from all around the speakers. It's something I've noticed when comparing to tube amps. I have no explanation for this. It's some aspect of human perception that I don't understand. I've always attributed phrases like "3D" and the like to audiophile nonsense. Anyways that's why I said there was a sort of dimensionality.

Possible full attention to Barkhausen's valve equation? All various operation parameter separately modeled instead of generic or general assumptions how output tubes operate in various circuits under various conditions - this would possible explain why we have all different tube types instead of two basic types (pentode/tetrode)

Most important are transfer characteristics and plate characteristics here.....

now there is a parameter for plate characteristics......hehe! ;)

Last edited:
Updated to v12.03 last night and v12.04 tonight. Yummy. Way mo betta! Way mo betta LOUD! Can't wait to go live.
Still playing with the JCM800. What a versatile amp. Just the settings on the 'Basic' page provides so many different tone combinations I could be set. Oh wait.... there's more amps in there?

Back
Top Bottom