Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

Improved power amp modeling via improved modeling of the plate impedance of the power tubes. This gives tighter bass (less flub) and warmer highs when the virtual power amp is heavily driven (higher Master Volume settings). This also improves the feel and dramatically increases the “3-dimensionality” of the tone. The plate characteristics are adjustable via the new Dynamic Impedance parameter. This parameter defaults to the appropriate value when an amp model or power tube type is selected.

Added selectable power tube types for Amp block. Available types are: EL34, EL84, 6L6, 6V6, KT66, KT88, 6550, 6973, 6AQ5 and 300B (triode). Also available are an ideal tetrode and ideal pentode. The power tube type defaults to the appropriate type when the amp type is selected but may be overridden by the user. The power tube type presets the Dynamic Impedance parameter as well as several internal parameters.

Added Preamp Sag parameter to Advanced menu in Amp block. This parameter allows turning the preamp sag modeling on or off. Turning it off replicates the behavior of separate preamp and power amp. Turning it on replicates the behavior of an integrated tube head or combo amp.

Changed Amp block Dynamic Depth behavior so that frequency of action is set by the Depth Freq parameter rather than fixed.

Exposed Delay block Feedback parameters to modification.

Inverted all square wave LFOs so as to be consistent with other LFO types in that LFOs reach maximum in first half of cycle (where applicable).

Added protection against runaway feedback in Multi-Delay block.

Fixed Multi-Delay total feedback can exceed 100% causing instability.

Fixed Delay block Sweep type Feedback Left modifier referencing Master Feedback instead of Feedback Left.

Fixed incorrect default Comp value in 59 Bassguy.

Fixed incorrect default Comp value in 5153 models.

Fixed incorrect default Comp value in Dirty Shirley model.

Fixed Car Roamer amp model incorrect default power tube bias.

Fixed wrong Miller capacitance value in Deluxe Verb model.

Fixed wrong default Power Tube Bias value in Citrus Terrier model.

Fixed Update All Presets function unlinks global blocks.

Fixed dumping effect to MIDI (for Axe-Edit) generates an invalid checksum if the effect references a global preset greater than 7.

I think you put in one of the few last pieces of the puzzle, with the addition of the tube selection. What I think it means, is that now we have the ability to fully create our own Transformer amp, that's pretty exciting. I think to myself these things aren't built overnight, they grow exponentially year after year and it becomes an even more awesome device. I wish other people who question your loyalty to your own device, would realize that you're in it to win it, you're just that little kid with his erector set, and you're making history. I remember sitting with my Radio shack electronic parts kit, making transistor radios, it was a great memory. I'm glad you took to a new level.

Cliff you're like the kid in class that everyone cheated off of. We figure, let the smartest one in the room figure it out and we will just cheat off him, because come on, there is no way we could have come up with this stuff ourselves, especially from non Degreed slouch like me. Never would have believed it, if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes.

Thanks in advance for a great 12.04. I can't wait to see what your mind comes up with, in the next week or two.

I apologize for my ramblings, I just wanted to get it out, because its really cool to be impressed with something in this day in age.

Cliff,
The improvements on " Flub, Tighter bass " etc.....I take it this is equal for FR and Amp/Cab guys ? Or more so one or the other ?

Thank you

Time to install. (unplugging MFC, and quitting all program on the Mac first)

This looks to be a huge advancement.

No need for new amps. I've barely scratched the surface as it is.

Your personal Dumble is EL34, right? I'll be curious to try it with other power tube types, and mess around with the bias.

And you are absolutely spot on that the differences should be subtle.

I love the way Cliff says "fixed the incorrect ____". Very open and honest communication with Cliff and Fractal, no hidden agendas here, just want the product to be the best available. Very refreshing.

I had been playing for a couple hours on the Friedman HBE when this came in, so I had the current FW sound in my head. I updated to the new BETA and went back to the Friedman HBE, and it sounded great as always. I turned the master up to 7.8 and it sounded better to me where the top end of the sweet spot used to be before that to my ears. Then I went into the speaker tab of the amp and bumped the low resonance up to 8.66 and it's now completely killing it! Low palm mutes are just awesome in this configuration. Playing around with different OH IRs using the T2 SP Mixes and they are just amazing with the amp set this way!

Lovin' it Cliff! Thanks man!!!

1. Note that the change to the Square Wave LFO can cause presets which make use of this specific controller, to sound very different.
Example: the famous "Disco Party" preset, by M@.

2. The Wiki has been updated to show the correct power tube info for each modeled amp. In most cases the info was already correct.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom