Axe-Fx II Firmware "Ares" 1.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything seems to be the same in the preamp and power amp section of the Class-A 30W TB.

V10.01 - Preamp
upload_2019-2-24_13-51-39.png

V11.00b (Ares 1.0b) - Preamp
upload_2019-2-24_13-52-14.png

V10.01 - Power Amp
upload_2019-2-24_13-56-31.png

V11.00b (Ares 1.0b) - Power Amp
upload_2019-2-24_13-53-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-24_13-55-15.png
    upload_2019-2-24_13-55-15.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I'm happy, that it won't be called Ares 1. I like it more with "My axe fx goes to Eleven!!!" ;-) Still haven't tried the beta (as I NEVER ever did), but I'm really looking forward to it...

It's not a bug, the name Ares and the new numbers (starting at 1 again, just like back with quantum FW) has to be written into the code. Something like (no real code)
Code:
if (firmware_real_number > 19 ) {
  firmware_name = Quantum;
  firmware_number = firmware_real_number - 19;
}
else if (firmware_real_number > 29) {
  firmware_name = Ares;
  firmware_number = firmware_real_number - 29;
}
display(firmware_name firmware_number);
We actually have firmware 30 beta right now ;)

It's not a bug, the name Ares and the new numbers (starting at 1 again, just like back with quantum FW) has to be written into the code. Something like (no real code)
Code:
if (firmware_real_number > 19 ) {
  firmware_name = Quantum;
  firmware_number = firmware_real_number - 19;
}
else if (firmware_real_number > 29) {
  firmware_name = Ares;
  firmware_number = firmware_real_number - 29;
}
display(firmware_name firmware_number);
We actually have firmware 30 beta right now ;)
I think, if something is displayed wrong, because of code that doesn't make it display right, that is, by definition, a bug.
But it is really not worth arguing about. It's just a label.

Just noticed this is part of the stuff included in the latest firmware update for the AxeFx III:

The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.

Cliff - at the risk of sounding greedy, could this functionality be added to the final release for the AxeFx II?

Last edited:
any words on the final release yet? Also, I already asked this in the af3 subforum, but I think it got lost: some of the new drive blocks default to different eq's, shall we "fix" these in the af2 for authentic values or those only apply to the new af3 algorithms?

I'd imagine that what we have now is it, pending bug fixes that have been mentioned so far. Cliff pretty much closed the book on other major updates earlier in the thread. I'm still shocked he gave us what he could of the Ares modeling.

It must have taken forever and he (and his team) basically did it for free since it's no longer a product Fractal sells.

Removing amp models doesn't solve the memory problem. Those go in external data memory. The problem is internal code memory is full.

I will release a final version of this firmware in a few days. That will be the last update (barring bug fixes) for the Axe-Fx II.

I spent a lot of time porting the Ares stuff to the II as a gift to the community. It's time that I could've spent working on new products. Thank you to those who actually appreciate that effort and particularly those who expressed that appreciation.

I'd imagine that what we have now is it, pending bug fixes that have been mentioned so far. Cliff pretty much closed the book on other major updates earlier in the thread. I'm still shocked he gave us what he could of the Ares modeling.

It must have taken forever and he (and his team) basically did it for free since it's no longer a product Fractal sells.

As much as I also appreciate the efforts Cliff and team put in, he’s not doing this ‘for free’ - this is part of the ownership experience that commands the prices that FAS charge, I bought an end of line XL+ assuming that we’d get more updates as that is the expectation he has set previously. We are all happy bunnies because of this customer model and I feel it is part of the buying equation.

On the tweaking presets for Ares point, I copy my favourite presets anyway from high bank numbers to ones in range of the MFC - so I am tweaking one set and just keeping a 10.01 set separate from a Ares 1.0b set for now until we get the final release. However aside from the crashes etc I am expecting the final version to be the same.

Richard.

When I buy an Axe, my only "expectation" is the firmware in place at the time of purchase, and perhaps bug fixes.

I just found this thread as was amazed that Cliff has released a new beta for a discontinued product. Perhaps it will be finalized, perhaps it won't. No expectations here; just appreciation. Although I own a III, I am excited about this, as the II is still my main workhorse for earning my living every week.

I'll stay with my current firmware, since I gig for a living. But I will update if and when an official stable release is issued. Thank you Cliff.

Just noticed this is part of the stuff included in the latest firmware update for the AxeFx III:

The Basic GUI page now reflects only the controls found on the actual pedal. In cases where the actual pedal does not have any tone controls a simple Tone control is included for convenience.

Cliff - at the risk of sounding greedy, could this functionality be added to the final release for the AxeFx II?
I think we might get it it would be amazing and helpful to most axe fx users

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...s-1-00-public-beta.147262/page-2#post-1740368

"All that is there is some of the modeling improvements. It was all I could do to get that to run and fit. I kept running out of memory. There simply isn't any more room for more stuff.

The Axe-Fx II design is nearly 8 years old now. The board only has 256M of memory. Contrast this to the Axe-Fx III which has 4G."

Now let's talk about what else we want that the III has or is getting. Geez Louise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom