Axe-Fx II Firmware "Ares" 1.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,
if some of you have time to check this I'd appreciate it:
With this beta the speaker compression meter on my axe is not working, effect is audible, though no gain reduction showing. Is this my machine or can anyone replicate this?
I have an axe fx mark II.
Thank you in advance, enjoy your weekend!
Chris

I noticed this as well on mine.

For the amps I'm familiar with (especially the ones I still own and had the chance to record them and A/B them with their digital counterparts), quantum was already on the hot side. Ares takes that a step further. To give you a real life example, if I set the gain at 3 on my ac30tb hw2x (iirc that's the same one modeled in the axe), in order to match the gain on quantum I have to set the gain at 2.2-2.3, with ares below 1.7 and it still sounds crunchier.

Not saying its a bug, but since it affects pretty much all the amp models I use, I'd rather wait for an official reply before updating and fixing every single preset!
correct me if I'm wrong, but the controls on the Axe are different because they start at 0, not 1. there's an offset. so 3 on the real amp would probably be somewhere around where you're describing. someone posted a comparison chart at one time

correct me if I'm wrong, but the controls on the Axe are different because they start at 0, not 1. there's an offset. so 3 on the real amp would probably be somewhere around where you're describing. someone posted a comparison chart at one time

That chart is for some amps that go from 1 to 11 or 12 (eg fender), when I talk about numbers I refer to the physical position if the knob (vox has no numbers). But then the rule “use ears, not eyes” applies

It’s also worth mentioning that the amp gain in the af3 with ares 3 is more similar to af2 quantum 10.01 than ares 1 beta, that’s why I think something might not be 100% correct yet. We’ll wait and see when final release comes out!

I do need to upgrade my axe for 2 XL +
I was wondering what are the Mac OS
recommendations
at this moment I am running OS High Sierra
Axe-Edit for OS X
Version 3.14.3 – October 24, 2017 – .dmg file
Requires OS X Version 10.6.8 or newer.
Requires Axe-Fx II Firmware version Quantum 3.0 or newer.

For Ac30 amps, and possible others, check tube bias. On mine, it was all the way up- it wasn't before Q11. Turning the bias down reduced gain, and reduced some of the grain and 'fizz' people have mentioned.

Any reviews for high gain lovers? I didnt like the Ares that preceded this and rolled back to the last quantum. Was muddy in a way.

Axe-Edit for OS X
Version 3.14.3 – October 24, 2017 – .dmg file
Requires OS X Version 10.6.8 or newer.
Requires Axe-Fx II Firmware version Quantum 3.0 or newer.

Thanks REX I just want the last most Stable AXE Update for the AXE FX 2 XL + since It will be quite a while before thinking about AXE FX 3

Thanks Chris for the LInk

Thanks REX I just want the last most Stable AXE Update for the AXE FX 2 XL + since It will be quite a while before thinking about AXE FX 3

Thanks Chris for the LInk

The last, most stable Axe FX update is not here yet.
And I have no idea what "Axe Edit" has to do with the Axe FX update...
Come to think of it, would be nice to see Axe Edit updated too. Currently it lacks at least one new knob axe FX has. Also, it doesn't reset the amps right...

As I’m gigging regularly I had to stay on 10.01 due to the increased gain in some models. Still waiting for a word from The Man Himself if the Ares gain corresponds better to the real amps - in which case I would start adapting my presets - or if the final version will be different.
Yes I had to do this as well

For Ac30 amps, and possible others, check tube bias. On mine, it was all the way up- it wasn't before Q11. Turning the bias down reduced gain, and reduced some of the grain and 'fizz' people have mentioned.

Just to be clear, is this the parameter you're referring to? I want to do a comparison between the two releases, ie. 10.01 and 11.00 beta.

upload_2019-2-24_9-43-14.png

Waiting for the final version to start tweaking. went back to 9.04 in the mean time For the amps I use no problelm with level. Just seems like the amp compresses differently making nuclear sounds less apparent in band mix. Like the way it sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom