Axe-Fx II Firmware "Ares" 1.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it's tremendous. It sounds and feel a lot like the Fortin Meshuggah amp if you turn the Bright switch on. A lot of "clank".

There's a weird graphical glitch on the name on my unit. There are some nonsense Wingding like symbols in it. Does that happen on yours?

This amp is exactly what I wanted to have from Friedman, and also yes I've that weird graphical glitch on my LCD and also on Axe-Edit, I reported it as a bug

I also used TS808 set drive on 0 and level on 7 and it's make that amp holy grail

Try the Boost switch in the amp.

Off the top of my head, my settings were Input Gain 5 (Boost on - adjust gain depending on how hot your pickups are), Bass 5, Mid 4, Treble 6, Presence 5.5, Master 2.5, Bright switch on. Fiddle with the bright cap value if it's a little too much.

Couple that with good V30 IR :)

Played around with this today, bright switch was a bit much for me, so I left that off. But I did add the filter block set to Tilt EQ with the settings Cliff mentioned to approximate the Fortin Grind pedal, that worked quite well. Very tight and punchy.

Overdue. Can't control our numbers.
Patently false - the tipping point of world population is already pinned at 11b max, and most Western nations have built their retirement systems on a Ponzi scheme that requires a growing population.

Here in Australia, our birthrate has been below replacement (aka shrinking population) for decades, we're just increasing immigration more each year so that our population (defined as "people within our borders who pay tax") grows in net terms.

The U.S. has basically hit the same point by now, with the "native" (in the literal, not political sense) population declining too.

The enrichment of Africa is coming, and with it comes the final nail in the coffin of human population growth.

EDIT: Oops, I thought this was the Lounge. Delete away if necessary!

Played around with this today, bright switch was a bit much for me, so I left that off. But I did add the filter block set to Tilt EQ with the settings Cliff mentioned to approximate the Fortin Grind pedal, that worked quite well. Very tight and punchy.

What were those settings out of interest?

Reactions: MSP
I need to go back to 10.01. As my unit locks up..if i get on the new portaflex amp model.
Hoping on a new beta, or a finished fw soon

As I’m gigging regularly I had to stay on 10.01 due to the increased gain in some models. Still waiting for a word from The Man Himself if the Ares gain corresponds better to the real amps - in which case I would start adapting my presets - or if the final version will be different.

I also had to revert back to 10.01. Hoping for final release soon

That is the issue though. We do not know if it is intended or not. Would suck to take the time updating patches just to find out it was all in vain

I remember a while back seeing a comparison video between the II and the III where they used identical settings for each amp model and the III had more gain in every case. I'll try and find the video, but I'm pretty sure that more gain in the Ares firmware is intentional and probably more accurate.

Gentlemen,
if some of you have time to check this I'd appreciate it:
With this beta the speaker compression meter on my axe is not working, effect is audible, though no gain reduction showing. Is this my machine or can anyone replicate this?
I have an axe fx mark II.
Thank you in advance, enjoy your weekend!
Chris

Are you sure Ares higher gain is a bug?
Maybe that's a more accurate gain level than Quantum was?...

For the amps I'm familiar with (especially the ones I still own and had the chance to record them and A/B them with their digital counterparts), quantum was already on the hot side. Ares takes that a step further. To give you a real life example, if I set the gain at 3 on my ac30tb hw2x (iirc that's the same one modeled in the axe), in order to match the gain on quantum I have to set the gain at 2.2-2.3, with ares below 1.7 and it still sounds crunchier.

Not saying its a bug, but since it affects pretty much all the amp models I use, I'd rather wait for an official reply before updating and fixing every single preset!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom