Axe-Fx II Firmware "Ares" 1.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how that's relevant.
The name of the Firmware that is sent to fractal bot is simply a string of text.
And the "Quantum" startup screen is just an image.
No, it's a number
There's no sysex returning the firmware version as text

Reactions: Rex
Wow thanks a lot Cliff.
I think there is a bug in the names of the new Porta-bass amps. We have 2 named Porta-Bass and Porta-Bass (on the axe fx II unit)

The reworked SVT model is LOUD in vol now ! Heads up,to folks that use this

I have a Mark I Axe Fx II and it freezes when i load Porta-Bass in X and Y and go back and forth
This also happen with just Porta-Bass in X or just selecting the model some times
I think this model is a bit messed up

Can others try to use the new Porta-Bass model ??
(on the axe fx unit,it`s the second Porta-Bass named amp

Last edited:
Wow thanks a lot Cliff.
I think there is a bug in the names of the new Ampeg bass amps. They are named Porta-Bass and Porta-Bass
Is the first one the new SVT model ?

looks like easter came early this year, because this has the smell of easter eggs all over it! (oh my god horrible phrasing)
how much can Cliff hide inside the final firmware without us knowing.. tweakers warm up your value wheel!

Well I shall certainly give this a try.
I take it this is it. The last (once out of beta) firmware.
I’m happy either way I think what I have is more than I could ever need or even comprehend.
I think the only thing that would make me upgrade is a hardware failure or the lure of many new fx and amps not available on the 2

Well if this is the last update it sounds brilliant. I noticed a difference straight away in the friedman amps. My preset sounded fatter instantly when I updated. Nice one cliff.

Currently saving for the axe fx III.

Wow ! Really appreciate your involvement Cliff with regards to AFX2 owners.
Will try that FW this afternoon with huge pleasure !
I expect a clearer /fatter sound (more tubey ..). Not sure the dynamic with the AFX3 will be with the AFX2: but no offense on that, as the AFX3 is based on a different hardware platform, more powerfull, more, more...

It's just a delight to have this update on the AFX2 and always soooo gooood to install and play :)

Very exciting to see a new firmware for the II.

First impressions are that the more gainy presets sound bigger and 'realer'..

I'm noticing some changes with my more bluesy patches though that I'll have to dial back in - I have an edge-of-breakup patch using Shiver Clean that seems to be a bit more polite now and conversely I have a bass patch with the SVT model that's now super gainy.. Not in a bad way but the patch is a very different tone to the Quantum version now.

Are there any obvious settings that have changed that might have caused this ?
Might it be something simple like 'input trim' has a different sensitivity now ?

Very exciting to see a new firmware for the II.

First impressions are that the more gainy presets sound bigger and 'realer'..

I'm noticing some changes with my more bluesy patches though that I'll have to dial back in - I have an edge-of-breakup patch using Shiver Clean that seems to be a bit more polite now and conversely I have a bass patch with the SVT model that's now super gainy.. Not in a bad way but the patch is a very different tone to the Quantum version now.

Are there any obvious settings that have changed that might have caused this ?
Might it be something simple like 'input trim' has a different sensitivity now ?
The SVT was reworked on the axe III and is now based on a different model so it's expected to sound quite different

PS: did anyone check if the new speaker compliance and output mode parameters are included?

The SVT was reworked on the axe III and is now based on a different model so it's expected to sound quite different

Aha! That makes sense thanks. I've lowered the input drive from about 6 to 2.5 and now I've a similar level of grit to my old patch and it sounds great.

I also use the SVT model as the basis for my electric Cello patches so I get two instruments sounding better today with one update, nice!

PS: did anyone check if the new speaker compliance and output mode parameters are included?
Well, there is a speaker compliance slider in the "Adv" tab.
Couldn't find the output mode though. And as a real cab user, that mode is what I was mostly looking forward to. (To be frank, i wouldn't mind losing some Amp models, if that saves enough space for this feature).

And of course, getting one mode at L and another at R would have been ideal.
Could use one Amp block for both the real cab and to the FOH.

Sidenote: Why, in the Axe FX 2 UI, the settings for the virtual speaker so scattered?
I mean, the Frequencty response, Speaker drive, and most transformer settings are in the SPKR page, which makes sense.
But "XFRMR Match" and "Speaker compression" are in the PWR DYN page.
"Speaker compliance" and "spkr time const" are in ADV.

I think it would make more sense if they were all in the SPKR page.
They are way better organised in Axe edit, even though they are in two tabs. Though I can understand that, as there is no screen space to fit them all.

oh and Sidenote 2: Does anyone know whether speaker compliance should be set to "0" or not when using real cabs?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom