Axe-Fx II Firmware "Ares" 1.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
That update came as a total surprise to me and I truly appreciate it. It's easy to imagine how frustrating the out-of-memory messages must have been ;) Cliff always believed in his stuff and his longing for perfection can be seen in this release. It's the best he can do for the II platform and most probably it's the best that's possible.

I know I'm appreciative all too rarely. I complain a lot about what Fractal does, see e.g. my thread about the FCs. But it's because I'm a perfectionist myself and I want the Axe-FXes to be as good as possible.

So here's my call to the community: We all have to help making this final release as good as possible. The deeper we test this beta (and possible following betas), the higher the chance to have a bug free last version, which will be our companion for the next years, except if we buy a III :D Let's turn every knob of every amp and every effect. I'll start digging in tomorrow.

edit: Damnit, I did it again... Cliff, thank you!!!
I hear a moudulation like affect on the decay of the dweezils bassman and that same effect on the herbie Ch3 But everything sounds and feels great and it’s an amazing update we can help to make it perfect

A deep and heartfelt THANK YOU!!! to the FAS team. I have never experienced this level of service to a customer base and/or have i ever felt such loyalty, not just to a product, but to a company for such dedication and passion to their work. Lifelong customer here. Axe II will serve me for a long time to come and looking forward to moving on to the Axe III. I still remember the first day getting my Ultra. Never happier all this time!

There was a comment about some amp blocks perhaps benefiting by a reset/refresh but didn't see anything in release notes. So far to my ears, my presets sound amazing. Thicker, bouncier and more organic etc. I came from 9.04 (rolled back from quantum 10.1). This Ares is the shiznit!

Cliff,

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for taking the time and effort to provide all of the countless updates you made to the Axe FX II. I am immensely grateful for your diligent efforts over the years and your dedication to technical excellence on this product. I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the money for an Axe FX III, but I'm in no way dissatisfied with my Axe FX II--it is the greatest guitar amp product I've ever owned, and even without firmware updates ahead I know without question it will serve all my needs for years and years to come.

Thank you again for all the effort you've put into this product, especially after it has become a legacy item. Thank you again for all of the effort that has gone into it from day one.

Enjoy the fun ride ahead on the Axe FX III, and what ever comes next.

This is real exciting stuff, THANK YOU CLIFF.
This should hold me a couple more months til I crack and start looking for gear to sell to make enough scratch for the III.

I wanted to check it out, and I did.. but it was such an extreme difference that I went back to 10.01 because I am playing at church tomorrow. I did hear a fizz in the decay of the notes I was playing (I hate to be the one guy that talks about an annoying fizz.. There's always one.) But I didn't reset anything and I only messed around for a couple minutes before I went back. I believe I'll wait for the final official release to try again.

Again, Cliff, thank you! firmware updates have been a constant source of joy for me since I owned an ultra oh so many years ago.

This is real exciting stuff, THANK YOU CLIFF.
This should hold me a couple more months til I crack and start looking for gear to sell to make enough scratch for the III.

I wanted to check it out, and I did.. but it was such an extreme difference that I went back to 10.01 because I am playing at church tomorrow. I did hear a fizz in the decay of the notes I was playing (I hate to be the one guy that talks about an annoying fizz.. There's always one.) But I didn't reset anything and I only messed around for a couple minutes before I went back. I believe I'll wait for the final official release to try again.

Again, Cliff, thank you! firmware updates have been a constant source of joy for me since I owned an ultra oh so many years ago.
What amp were you using?

WHOOOOPIIIII! This firmware beats my expectations. The cabs all seem to have something more to offer me. And I haven't even changed my strings yet.

Last edited:
Updating the axe fx is always a joy. You know how on windows/other software the progress bar takes a few minutes to get to 100% and when it does finally get there it sits there for a few minutes more?

I agree that the Axe has too many duplicates of models. Just pick the best one, and keep it...
For example, why do we have the modern and the vintage, and the thordendal version of the recto?
If we lack space, and it was up to me, I'd choose to fill that space with more amp modelling improvements, rather than same amp variations.
Not sure to what extent the number of amps has on this issue of running out of memory, but from recollection its very little. Anyway, right now the Aries is making this wonderful realistic Adrien Belew feedback that wasn't present in the previous firmware!

Thank you Cliff! Your dedication to the AxeFX2 and continual improvements over the past eight years has been inspiring... you and your team have truly set a gold standard for business practice in this industry!

While I have yet to get the III, I plan on it soon -- I'm looking forward to boarding that ship as well. Three cheers for Captain Cliff!

Removing amp models doesn't solve the memory problem. Those go in external data memory. The problem is internal code memory is full.

I will release a final version of this firmware in a few days. That will be the last update (barring bug fixes) for the Axe-Fx II.

I spent a lot of time porting the Ares stuff to the II as a gift to the community. It's time that I could've spent working on new products. Thank you to those who actually appreciate that effort and particularly those who expressed that appreciation.
It is beyond appreciated. I can’t wait to get back in the states to load it up and let it go. You probably just sped up my Axe III purchase by 6 months.

Removing amp models doesn't solve the memory problem. Those go in external data memory. The problem is internal code memory is full.

I will release a final version of this firmware in a few days. That will be the last update (barring bug fixes) for the Axe-Fx II.

I spent a lot of time porting the Ares stuff to the II as a gift to the community. It's time that I could've spent working on new products. Thank you to those who actually appreciate that effort and particularly those who expressed that appreciation.

Much appreciated Cliff and sorry to hear about Charlie.

Thank you for your dedication to strive for excellence for your products even it it means at the expense of profit and revenue. I've been a user since the Ultra days and I've been holding off upgrading my AxeFX 2 (mark 1 version) for so long because there has been so many FW updates that has kept the AxeFX 2 to stay current!

I have been contemplating a new AxeFX 3 seriously for sometime, I think its timely for an upgrade soon!

Thank you to those who actually appreciate that effort and particularly those who expressed that appreciation.

I sincerely appreciate the efforts you and the whole Fractal team put in to ensure your products are the best they can possibly be. This is precisely why I own an AxeFx II, Ultra, FX8, AX8, two MFC-101's, and three EV-1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom