Axe-Fx II Firmware 9 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know right. I'm starting to see how loosely the phrase "very soon" can be interpreted.

Always worth the wait, never disappointed. Whenever it's ready Cliff and team, I will greatly enjoy and appreciate the result of your labor. And for everyone else: I see you shiver, with anticip......

........ation.

Last edited:
While not wishing to extinguish any flames of humor, especially 'round these parts, attitudes like the above from developers -- to the extent they occur in real workplaces as opposed to Internet discussion boards -- are naive and annoying. They are also bad for technocracy; see Jimmy Carter, Herbert Hoover, and why people laugh at nerd rage. While projects of large scale are necessarily inefficient, small organizations are supposed to gain agility by not wasting time and energy.

Meanwhile, program management sucks if it can't bring clarity and consensus to requirements or scope projects rationally. Good development organizations insist on a spec that has been read by developers and QA, who in turn delivered estimates for the work, which were then reviewed by their respective dev and QA manager(s) for sanity. Without a single line of code being written until all this is done. After coding, developers should do unit and integration testing but never QA. Quality Assurance is a separate discipline that should be taken seriously; for example development managers should not be allowed to manage their own QA.

Once PMs are doing their job developers can and should be held to the deadlines imposed by those estimates. When they (developers) fail to do so despite all this preparation it reflects only on their lack of skill; the exceptions being changed requirements, business/personal emergency, or so much unscheduled downtime that the buffers baked wisely into each estimate end up being consumed. It is up to program management to use "the process" to confirm accountability across every single team member, and at every relevant slice of time, because if the outcome is not as requested then PM will have a lot of explaining to do...

BTW, should anyone wonder if I was making any reference to FAS, I wasn't. I bought on a waiting list and never thought I was agreeing to any promised delivery date. But if they were operating under my program, I absolutely would. Of course, many developers would like to be free of deadlines and often go into business for themselves to try and avoid them. Same thing with AXE-FX firmware updates or AE improvements; I have no reasonable expectation for any such thing from Cliff and crew because I bought their product based on its then-current state.

In conclusion, it need not be such an axiom to say Software Development is by default a late and over-budget affair. Yet it so often is, hence this little poast.

I agree with the exceptions above, EXCEPT, I think there may be more acceptable exceptions. One is, if the program is so kick-ass revolutionary that only a small group of programmers are "with" the program, so to speak, it is difficult to get execution of the grunt-work. So you just appreciate the ingenuity of the vision and its core developers and respect the challenge of bringing clarification to the team, and don't try to force a tomato through an onion slicer.

Unfair. There is NO way we can know the hurdles that are being leapt to get this done. It's a major rethinking of Axe Edit, and to some extent the Power amp design.

To be done:
-Completely debug Axe II software and finalize last minute changes.
-Smooth the actual performance of the software (i.e. level amps and recheck all parameters.)
-Finish a very complicated new application on TWO (maybe even 3...Linux?) platforms. Debug and insure SEAMLESS interoperability with the new Axe II software.

This is a very big deal in Large corporations who have extensive staff to get this done (I can't see ANY of the major players getting this done inside of 6 months.) Fractal has limited staff, and a commitment to get it right the 1st time (but, in their favor, I believe that they have a much more technically qualified and capable staff, so don't need a 'binder of developers'...ha.)

I'm not even including the new amps, any new IR's, and 3 full banks of presets (none of which I know will drop, but speculating,) so getting all that together is pretty big.

So when folks blithely say 'he said SOON! Why isn't it here?' please have a bit of understanding. We're all anxious to try it, but if I'm Fractal reading these kind of posts, I wonder why I'm working 12 - 14 hours a day...

And (SPECULATION ONLY), I believe that Fractal would want this thing out the door before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Ron
In so many words, my point is the last update we got said "very soon" after the AE betas dropped (about 2 1/2 months into the wait). I'm sure most people got pretty excited about that, only to hear nothing over the last 3 weeks. Regular updates/pertinent information like what you just provided tends to ease the restlessness surrounding the wait, and that's what we're not getting a lot of in the AE update thread. I think what's unfair is to keep saying "soon" instead of just being realistic from the outset. I'd rather they just say "hey it could be up to 6 months" rather than get people's hopes up.

With that said, it's not my intention to offend anyone at Fractal, or on the forum. Just stating the way I feel, and I appreciate the information and update. Actually, the bit about re-thinking the power amp design is news to me and I'm interested in the reason behind this. I've met and spoke with Cliff, Matt, and one of the devs (Ryan?) at Axe Fest West and I know they're working hard. But a little update here and there goes a long way.

Last edited:
That post concerns the release state of firmware 9 with hardly any mention of AE. The problem is the AE updates haven't been nearly as regular/thorough as the FW updates.

Just be patient.
I work as a DSP software engineer and you have no idea how much work there can be between a beta and release. And there will be 2 major new releases - AxeEdit and Axe FW9 - so just give Fractal their time. I think no one wants a rushed release to have a buggy AxeEdit people would complain about.

I think what's unfair is to keep saying "soon" instead of just being realistic from the outset. I'd rather they just say "hey it could be up to 6 months" rather than get people's hopes up.

But a little update here and there goes a long way.

if i were Cliff i had already given up on his way of developing, at this point.
this is what this kind of attitude "he said soon, but it's 3 weeks, it's not fair" is going to accomplish: infact it's not FAIR, it's FREE; on top of that, most of the development is based on what THE USERS requested, and Cliff & Co are constantly updating THE USERS, with samples, release notes, bug fixing notices.
in the middle of the development WE ask for adding new amps and functionalities.
if this is generating anxiety in you, i suggest you stay away from this threads and look only for official release threads.
That's what you get with Digitech, Digidesign, Line6 etc etc.
Just stop this, please, and start seeing things in the right light.

if i were Cliff i had already given up on his way of developing, at this point.
this is what this kind of attitude "he said soon, but it's 3 weeks, it's not fair" is going to accomplish: infact it's not FAIR, it's FREE; on top of that, most of the development is based on what THE USERS requested, and Cliff & Co are constantly updating THE USERS, with samples, release notes, bug fixing notices.
in the middle of the development WE ask for adding new amps and functionalities.
if this is generating anxiety in you, i suggest you stay away from this threads and look only for official release threads.
That's what you get with Digitech, Digidesign, Line6 etc etc.
Just stop this, please, and start seeing things in the right light.

Thank you! I completely agree with you!
This is a forum where the customers directly can communicate to and be heard by the developers about a product. The developers definetly working way more than a regular 8-9 hours a day and weekends. So please start showing some respect and behave like adults and not like kids in a playground!

I'm eternally grateful to Cliff and company for their products, especially considering the ongoing free upgrades. I'm amazed that we have such direct access to them on this forum and I appreciate any insight or advice they share. I don't expect them to divulge anything about the process and although I'm checking the board a dozen times a day hoping for a release of fw9/ae, I don't expect them to hurry up the process or take time out just to update me so I feel better about it. When it's done they'll release it and I hope not a moment sooner. Any other company along the lines of L6, etc. would be charging a premium for these upgrades and they would be fewer and further between.

For those complaining - please point me to a timeframe definition of "soon".

To one person 3 weeks may not be soon - to others sometime in the next 12 months is soon. All depends on context. As far as im concerned, if it gets here before new year it will be soon - in my relative universe.

Wanting and needing are two different words

Maybe FAS should set up a pay to post thread for impatient FW update users ..... $1 a post and donate the proceeds to a charity for those in real need (and I'm not talking about a Line6 users charity here :razz)

If you need something to take your mind off things and discover how poor your European geography is try this wee online game .... I got a miserable 20591 score first go .... and (especially if you are European) you will try more than once believe me!

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

^^^^ What these threads look like to the FAS staff when they see these threads....

Wanting and needing are two different words

Maybe FAS should set up a pay to post thread for impatient FW update users ..... $1 a post and donate the proceeds to a charity for those in real need (and I'm not talking about a Line6 users charity here :razz)

If you need something to take your mind off things and discover how poor your European geography is try this wee online game .... I got a miserable 20591 score first go .... and (especially if you are European) you will try more than once believe me!

25630 - quite difficult that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom