Axe-Fx II Firmware 9 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously?

Didn't need to adjust anything after installing 9.

Maybe because I keep my amp blocks pretty standard. Just like on a real amp I restrict myself to Drive/Master/BMT/Presence/Depth/Bright. Sometimes Fat or Boost, or Low Cut in the Cab block, but that's it.

Same for me. I believe that the meaning of the advanced settings is more to deviate from the original amps or experiment. I try to stick with Pre/Pwr tabs.

Last edited:
First rehearsal with 9 beta yesterday. Unchanged patches (aside minor level adjustments). Sounds and feels noticeably better to me. I'm happy :)

Ok, same for me. All my patches worked in the rehearse without any changes and translated well with the band.
BTW I switched between the 8.xx modeling and the 9.xx modeling again and again to compare them. I still like how 8.xx reacts to the pick, but 9.xx sounds better aside from the pick attack. Finally I stayed with 9.xx.

Cool that no patch tweaking is required for tones.

Are people finding that patch levels need to be adjusted after upgrading to 9 to keep their relative volumes?

Thanks

I installed v9.00beta the day of a gig. (yeh, i know)
My initial impression was not good. Drive levels seemed changed so i rolled-back to 8.01a till i had more time to tweak.
After the gig i reinstalled 9.00beta. This time drive levels seemed somewhat better. Weird!
However some of my go-to patches definitely sound altered.
I've yet to sit down with the new firmware and analytically appraise the differences.
Once i have re-established my gain/volume levels i'm sure it will be better.

I just had to increase my clean patches up a tad....other than that it was the easiest upgrade ever. Except: USB adapter > turn OFF!

I installed FW9 Beta but I've had little time to mess with it in detail. My drive levels seem slightly off on my 3 main patches, but nothing I can't quickly adjust for. I haven't noticed a significant difference from FW8 overall, but I'm not playing through the Axe II as much lately as I was in the past few months. It just sounds killer, plain and simple.

Tried the Silver Jubilee briefly by switching it in place of my /13 in one of my main patches. I'll need to really go through and find the right cab for it before I can get a feel for how much I like it. I've been really liking some of the recently added amps so I'm planning to work at this one a bit as far as cabs and see if I can get it to do something different. The Plexi Treble remains king for me on Marshall tone so far.

Thanks to Fractal for the continued efforts- hard to believe how much the Axe has improved in a little over a year.

I got tricked by the USB adapter mode thing too. But this was quickly handled.

Otherwise, I must say that I am very thoroughly enjoying V9b. Not only sonically, but also the new amp models. Be that as it may, I am still using my favs (Plexi and ODS) for most of my work. I'll post some clips at some point because the Plexi patches I have are really stunning. My main clean patch is also using the same amp.

My hat's off to Cliff and team for a great job.

Hopefully we will have an official release before the weekend. Couple more amp models should be in there too: Two Rock Jet and Fuchs ODS50. Also I have finished the "FAS Crunch" model which is my take on the ultimate Plexi.

I also have a Fender Bandmaster on the way and maybe a Bad Cat.

Cliff - iirc, a while back you mentioned that you modelled the Matamp [or was considering doing so]

is that in 9.0 or is that one coming later??

to be honest, I don't exactly need it.. the Hiwatt is doing a stirling job for my cleans..
just curious more than anything...
and also quite curious to see how well the Matamp would fare in a faceoff against the mighty Hiwatt Normal

Cliff - iirc, a while back you mentioned that you modelled the Matamp [or was considering doing so]

is that in 9.0 or is that one coming later??

to be honest, I don't exactly need it.. the Hiwatt is doing a stirling job for my cleans..
just curious more than anything...
and also quite curious to see how well the Matamp would fare in a faceoff against the mighty Hiwatt Normal

No, we matched a Matamp. It's really just a slightly modified Orange.

Hopefully we will have an official release before the weekend. Couple more amp models should be in there too: Two Rock Jet and Fuchs ODS50. Also I have finished the "FAS Crunch" model which is my take on the ultimate Plexi.

Cliff, you are just unreal man! Seriously... Thank you for all the work you dump into this thing!

Damn.. nice.

Very cool. Thanks Cliff!!

If you can withstand the urge then I say smart move. I went to 9 last night and first I was hemming and hawing over whether I a.)noticed a difference b.) liked the modeling of 9 better than 8 or 7 for that matter. Then I started checking out a couple of my presets and they are kind of "F'd up". One preset is completely clipping the output and sounds totally wrong. I tried to look up the settings from a backup on AE (without my AXE connected for safety reasons). But the settings seem the same. Gonna try to restore 8.01a and then maybe give 9 another install attempt but using a midi sysex librarian like "SNOIZE". I had used AE for the FW install. I don't use it for anything else but still probably a bad call.

Yea well, I do have the unbelievable urge to upgrade to 9 but I'm so afraid to mess-up my presets, I play in a cover band, I got something like 45 presets for that, would be a major disaster and PITA to retune all of them or some of them from the front panel.
Way too much work.
I really would be happy to have the AE already, I guess I'm not the only one….
Ahhhhh the waiting…….I need a cure form that AXE illness…..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom