Axe-Fx II Firmware 9 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliff, would you consider defaulting the Amp editing screen to the "PRE" tab? Right now it defaults to the "TYPE" tab. I change amp types only occasionally, whereas I edit the preamp setting regularly. A change like this would save hitting the right PAGE button.

Not a biggie, but this change would make things a little quicker, particularly if I have to edit amp settings on the fly in a live setting.

Terry.

I miss the boost for amp being where it was. It would at least be nice to press enter on the amp choice page and have boost turn on. I find where he moved the boost to be too late in the "decision"> Just a thought. That and be nice if all effects had a similar page that you could quickly view types like the amp page has now.

Thanks Cliff for all you do. My suggestions aren't meant to jab.....everything is darn near perfect....as usual we think this, until you reveal something to us that we couldn't have dreamed of on our own.

Last edited:
why would you use a cheap midi controller with a high device like the AXE? that's like putting retreads on a lamborghini... just sayin'
Money. Limitations. Priorities. I'm already just glad to be having my II.
Size. Ease of use having two pedals built in. Ruggedness. Most of that ruggedness lying in that I couldn't care less if it gets damaged. I throw this thing around. I think I would feel more conscious of a grand worth of foot pedal (EU here).

As I said, it works. :D Doesn't work perfectly.
AppArently after some investigating there is some limitation, but I wasn't going to use more than two or three scenes anyway. My presets aren't that complicated.

get an MFC, LF, etc. and see what your missing!
I have and LF on order since Oct-1st. Jeff would send me a time frame that week, but haven't heard. He must be really busy or not getting the parts he said he needed.
As we know he can drop off the radar for times. Usually he comes back, though... Haven't paid yet.

Cliff, would you consider defaulting the Amp editing screen to the "PRE" tab? Right now it defaults to the "TYPE" tab. I change amp types only occasionally, whereas I edit the preamp setting regularly. A change like this would save hitting the right PAGE button.

Not a biggie, but this change would make things a little quicker, particularly if I have to edit amp settings on the fly in a live setting.

Terry.

I fully agree.

Terry.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see this too.

Ive noticed an improvement in certain amps with this FW.

Another thing, to my ears some amps seem to have converged into sounding extremely similar. (Maybe thats the way they are in real life?)
Fas Lead1, Usa Lead1,2,1+, 2+, Carol Ann OD2 sound almost exactly the same after some tweaking

upgraded to ver 9 seems to be a little hotter signal on some of the amps but it does have the crushing tone and bite that sounds much better than ver 8 and 8a so far it has not gave me any problems keep up the good work and please upgrade ax edit i know everyone wants that to happen thanks .........

I miss the boost for amp being where it was. It would at least be nice to press enter on the amp choice page and have boost turn on. I find where he moved the boost to be too late in the "decision"> Just a thought. That and be nice if all effects had a similar page that you could quickly view types like the amp page has now.

Thanks Cliff for all you do. My suggestions aren't meant to jab.....everything is darn near perfect....as usual we think this, until you reveal something to us that we couldn't have dreamed of on our own.

Good suggestions, imho...

Terry.

Makes sense to me....

upgraded to ver 9 seems to be a little hotter signal on some of the amps...

I think I've noticed that too. It seems more apt to output clipping. After V9b update I ran across Squeaky Clean. I love that tone (with my PRS), but the volume is much lower. If I try to adjust any level, it clips Output 1.

yek (I think) has a nice post on dealing with digital clipping. I'll be checking that out.

New power amp modeling with improved dynamic response. This new modeling features improved transformer/plate interaction modeling resulting in better feel and a punchier response. The Supply Sag parameter is more responsive as a result. Additionally, crossover and transformer hysteresis distortion modeling is improved resulting in more overtones when playing softly. This improves controlled feedback performance and yields a more aggressive tone at lower Power Tube Bias settings. The Global menu allows the choice of Version 9.xx, 8.xx or 7.xx modeling to suit individual tastes. Note that Version 9.xx is slightly quieter so don’t be swayed by Fletcher-Munson effects when evaluating differences.
I am finding that fw7 and fw8 are much tighter for my VH3 and VH4 Heavy rhythm patch. THere seems to be more bite to the tone. Crisper etc. Ver9 is a little flubby for my taste. I am wondering if the volume difference is just tricking me though. Trying to figure out the best way to compensate when doing the comparison. There is an "amp gain" adjustment on the Global page. If I jack that up maybe 3 dB would that be a fair adjustment for comparison? Everyone seems to be noticing a huge difference for the better so I want to give it the benefit of the doubt here but don't want to be lead blindly.

Last edited:
Don't use the global amp gain adjustment to set volumes. It will change the gain of the patch. Use the amp block's Level control instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom