Axe-Fx II Firmware 9 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Global menu allows the choice of Version 9.xx, 8.xx or 7.xx modeling to suit individual tastes. "

Where's Luke? :)

This and v8 are both minor updates and do not really interest me. I may be of a minority, but I'd rather have Axe-Edit and Axe-Change updated.

Buzz_Killington.jpg

There's always detractors. Oh well. Axe Edit will eventually be running and then people will find something else to squirm around about. No sense feeding the trolls.

Seriously though - it isn't like it's a huge change from one to the other - but those cumulative subtle differences make a rather large difference when everything is stacking up. I'm excited!

Buzz Killington? LOL.

PS-I may have to upgrade my whole foot controller thing to fully take advantage of new MAJOR features. Shoulda bought that MFC thingy at the fest. Was a great price. :)

Issues with Scenes / (&MFC)

First let me say, that the idea of "scenes" is very nice! I have doing intensive tests with this new feature, but will give FAS feedback for some issues I have, perhaps some suggestions:

Scenes are the perfect solution and the last argument NOT using the MFC in Axe-Fx=NONE mode:
Now, it is not needed to save up to eight times the same preset on different preset locations in the Axe-Fx with just different IA stats. This is welcome, because of better "organisation" of your presets (think about ONE Song = One Preset with up to 8 different IA stats within the song (intro, chorus, ref., solo, etc.).
So, what I am looking for is using scenes by PC-Change. This could be managed through the PC Mapping in the Axe-Fx. Fine.
Problem: Mapping have to be on "Custom" (=ON), but only the first 128 Presets can be selected to map. Furthermore, if Preset-Numbers above 128 are selected through MFC (MIDI 0-127 + Bankswitch command), it will not work (see some pictures with "funny" Recall screenshots, what happens, if you select presets higher than 128 on the MFC … ).

To select a Preset with a scene higher than the default "1" with ONE PC button on the MFC, you can also do this not by using Mapping (incl scene Mapping), but using a PC command AND (for example) a Internal CC.
Problem: This will work only for ONE additional Scene 2 to 8 (cause Scene 1 identical to "normal" preset select). Internal CCs can only switched globally on or off. If you want more than one scene select within a preset-change, you`ll have to switch up to 8 Internall CCs to ON. Now, these Internal CCs send all on CC 34 but, with different CC Values -> Axe-Fx can not interprete correct, because it receive the order on CC34 to switch to value 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 at all the same time 
Suggestion: Every Scene get it`s own CC command. (i think by default the first ten CCs are not in use?!)
But there will be more problems: You`ll have to program in Axe-Fx Mode=ON Mode in the MFC every Preset with a X-Mapping, to reach with different PCs always the same Preset on the Axe-Fx (with only different scenes).
Next Problem: It seems that sending CC-changes from the MFC to the Axe don`t let the Axe resend the new IA-stats for the different IA-Switches on the MFC (red/green, FX block used / unused).

So, just an idea: What if the Axe-Fx would interprete a Scene-change like a PC-Change? Hopefully, the Axe would resend the new IA stats again to the MFC. Let`s think furthermore that way:

What, if I could give every Scene a dedicated Name? In default, Scene1 = Preset (PC Number xy). Default scene 2-8 get the same Presetname, but could be individually overwritten by user.

So, when I think that to the end, I talk more about "Sub-Presets), than "Scenes". If a command change, equal if it`s just a PC-change OR a CC-Change which correspondend to a SCENE (!!!), the Axe-Fx reacts like it does on a PC-Change, we all know: It re-send the Information of the actual Preset-layout (exactly the actual layout of the selected scene) to the MFC, including all NON-SCENE-CCs and PC.

Again: At the moment, when I just program the MFC to send a CC34 and a value from 001 or higher, the MFC will NOT represent the "new" IA on/off stats, which are programmed in that specific scene! The MFC always shows the stats of the Preset ( =Scene1).

ONLY if you remap through the Axe-Fx Mapping function, the Axe-Fx sends the new scene INCLUDING the new IA stats!

Last, but not least let me say: I recommend to set IGNORE REDUNDANT PC to ON. Why? Because when recall the Scenes by Mapping function and select the on/off stats by using my midi controller (MFC) I would always lose my "programming informations per scene" if I just want to change scene, but NOT RECALL the whole Preset (by loading the Axe-Fx preset new).

Also, this all just will work nice, if TOTAL SYNC on the MFC is set to OFF. Why? Because, if it`s on, it interpretes the PC-Mapping from the Axe-Fx and switch back to that preset …

I know my English is bad, but I would be really appreciate, if you could understand, what i`m trying to say. Furthermore, if FAS would comment this …

Regards
Markus

Attachments

• 2012-10-25 18.19.05.jpg
    2012-10-25 18.19.05.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 2012-10-25 18.19.54.jpg
    2012-10-25 18.19.54.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Reminder:

This is beta, so if you find bugs, report them in the proper section; might get lost in here. Same thing with 'It would be nice to....', wish list forum is willing and able!

Ron

BTW: I've spent 2 hours on this update, and outside of not being able to figure out Scenes yet (yup, I'll read Yek's short tutorial again...), this is another impressive update. The thing that sticks out to me is that the high's are much rounder, less spiky, and the touch dynamics are another order of excellent.

FWIW, while I didn't have to change my AMP parameters to adjust to the new FW, I found the best results came from resetting to defaults. They really sang for me.

Ron

To call this a minor update is mystifying to me. And I'm not talking about scenes or new amps. The new Power Amp modelling is unreal, this is it now, this feels and sounds exactly right. This should be the major "selling" point for 9!

2 tiny remarks about this update:

- Why didn't I have to retweak my presets? Not even one bit? and they sound better than before.:shock

- Since I been using the Axe-Fx (for about 4 years now) it keeps getting better. This can only mean one of two things:
a) it wasn't as good as a tube amp to start with as has gradually been getting closer
b) it was as good as a tube amp and has left it light years behind

I vote B!!!

Buzz Killington? LOL.

PS-I may have to upgrade my whole foot controller thing to fully take advantage of new MAJOR features. Shoulda bought that MFC thingy at the fest. Was a great price. :)

+1

Waiting to see how scenes are implemented on the MFC, but 99% sure I'll order one when I find out.

Should i be able to save a preset with scene 2 or 3 as a main scene or a preset will always load with scene 1?
I am using MFC not the front panel to load a preset. It always loads scene 1 when i load a preset even if i saved it with scene2

The thing that sticks out to me is that the high's are much rounder, less spiky, and the touch dynamics are another order of excellent.

That is a very good description of what I noticed. Less spike and a rounder feel. The definition (touch dynamics as you mentioned) make everything more full-sounding and a bit more 3D. Great update. I might not even upgrade to the non-Beta. I don't want to lose what I have. :)

DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT.

Until it's updated.

Please.

LOL...you cannot be any clearer than that short of having to bring out the hammer.

One day I'll be at a convenient project break and upgrade from v3, probably next year. I found my (so far) ultimate distorted tone in v3. It would be interesting if for one upgrade, an older set of algorithms was reinstated and see if everyone still says it's the best one yet :) Great to see the innovations coming thick and fast anyway.

DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT DON'T USE AXE EDIT.

Until it's updated.

Please.

I'm confused. Are you saying it's OKAY to use Axe Edit?? All this beating around the bush... just come out and say what you're thinking already.

(removing tongue from cheek)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom