Axe-Fx II Firmware 9 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of my daytime job is writing database applications (*yawn*). I learned a long time ago never to give a specific release date. It usually bites me in the butt. I say things like "soon", "I need to test more", "Shooting for next week" or "The feature you asked for is impossible, but I'm trying to do it anyway". That last one is rare. ;)

I'm not a .NET guru programming god. Just trying to relate how it works in my little world. :)
I do database programming at work and I have the occasional "The feature you asked for is impossible" which is usually followed up by, "Can we have it anyway?"

I'm with you on release dates. I try to let management know what progress I'm making, without holding to a committed release date. Sometimes they leave me alone and let me figure it out; sometimes they push with a deadline. It takes as long as it takes with or without a deadline if that's any indication.

I do database programming at work and I have the occasional "The feature you asked for is impossible" which is usually followed up by, "Can we have it anyway?"

I'm with you on release dates. I try to let management know what progress I'm making, without holding to a committed release date. Sometimes they leave me alone and let me figure it out; sometimes they push with a deadline. It takes as long as it takes with or without a deadline if that's any indication.

Aye. And no matter how much I test, the users WILL find a bug. It never fails. The workflow is Dev -> Test -> Release (to unsuspecting beta testers). ;)

As hard as Cliff & Co. obviously work, I'm just fine with them taking the time they need to get it right, which they almost always do. For as many updates as the AFX gets, it's remarkably glitch-free. That said, I'm eagerly awaiting the 9.0 release!

My God... all of this this and the upcoming release of the first wave of OwnHammer IR's being released? I'm about to pee myself with excitement.

And Axe-Edit too? Sweet Betsy, I'm going to be busy.

Hmm, I am hearing 'about to' all the time. No one actually did it. Why not? I am sure many are waiting for the first person to finally do it and attach the photos that prove it... :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Aye. And no matter how much I test, the users WILL find a bug. It never fails. The workflow is Dev -> Test -> Release (to unsuspecting beta testers). ;)
So I get to be a beta tester??? Sweet.....I'll do it even if I'm an unsuspecting one!

I ran into the same problem. I had to make sure the mfc firmware was current and not use axe edit.

This is exactly what got me too. Once I updated the MFC firmware the update went smoothly. I've played several gigs on v9 beta and have had no issues.

There's no way to copy scenes.
that sucks would be helpful I think to copy say scene 5 that's been tweaked a bunch and you want to just change one small parameter for scene 6. You would have to do all the changes for each scene.

That might be a bug. Scenes should only be capturing X/Y and bypass state of blocks, plus the global output level on the patch.
Are you sure that the reverb isn't to X and Y?

Definitely is the X state. As I mentioned there could be even more parameters that are changed. In addition almost all of the blocks become unbypassed. I have had zero time to investigate this as work has consumed me recently. I will try to put a patch up ASAP.

that sucks would be helpful I think to copy say scene 5 that's been tweaked a bunch and you want to just change one small parameter for scene 6. You would have to do all the changes for each scene.

IIRC, scenes only contain block on/bypassed, X/Y state and output level. There's not much to tweak, is there?

IIRC, scenes only contain block on/bypassed, X/Y state and output level. There's not much to tweak, is there?
Yes but can't you tweak or even completely change to a different effect on the Y side of a block from scene to scene? Those variations wouldn't carry to any other scenes? I actually did read the release notes and that wasn't clear to me. Now I'm wondering if I understand the X/Y thing. I am under the impression you can have a different amp,cab, effect (as long as it is in the same family) stored in the Y slot. So when you are using scenes you can't actually change what the effect is that's loaded in the Y slot for that block? I swear I read posts of users saying they were going to have different gain settings on the amp block per scene and stuff like that. I'll go back and read the Wiki to see if I can get my own answer.

Quoted from the manual.

"One of the new features of the Axe-Fx II is X/Y switching, available on 10 different effect block types: Amp, Cab, Chorus, Delay, Drive, Flanger, Pitch Shifter, Phaser, Reverb, and Wahwah. Each instance of these blocks is equipped with two fully independent sets of parameters, “X” and “Y,” making it possible to have two completely different settings for one block. X or Y can be recalled instantly and seamlessly at the touch of a front panel button (while editing) or by using MIDI remote control (during performance). Each block with X/Y may be saved with either state selected."

"The benefits of X/Y Switching are considerable. You might simulate amp channel switching (X as an American Clean and Y as a British Crunch). This won’t require the CPU overhead of two separate amp blocks! Another application is mode switching effects. Instead of painstakingly tuning modifiers (p. 124), you can just dial in X, dial in the Y, and switch between them at will. Imagine a delay that can be switched at will from pristine dotted-eighth-note echoes with light feedback to one with saturated, modulated quarter-note echoes under heavy feedback."

So the example about different amp settings in a scene could go like this:

Preset 1: X=HBE Drive 5 and MV 5 = Scene 1
Preset 1: Y=HBE Drive 8 and MV 7 = Scene 2

You couldn't for example change either X or Y to a different amp such as the HB in Scene 3. Whatever you have programmed for X and Y in a given preset is it. Scenes just allow you to switch between (activate or bypass) whatever you have programmed in the preset.

Quoted from the manual.

"One of the new features of the Axe-Fx II is X/Y switching, available on 10 different effect block types: Amp, Cab, Chorus, Delay, Drive, Flanger, Pitch Shifter, Phaser, Reverb, and Wahwah. Each instance of these blocks is equipped with two fully independent sets of parameters, “X” and “Y,” making it possible to have two completely different settings for one block. X or Y can be recalled instantly and seamlessly at the touch of a front panel button (while editing) or by using MIDI remote control (during performance). Each block with X/Y may be saved with either state selected."

"The benefits of X/Y Switching are considerable. You might simulate amp channel switching (X as an American Clean and Y as a British Crunch). This won’t require the CPU overhead of two separate amp blocks! Another application is mode switching effects. Instead of painstakingly tuning modifiers (p. 124), you can just dial in X, dial in the Y, and switch between them at will. Imagine a delay that can be switched at will from pristine dotted-eighth-note echoes with light feedback to one with saturated, modulated quarter-note echoes under heavy feedback."

So the example about different amp settings in a scene could go like this:

Preset 1: X=HBE Drive 5 and MV 5 = Scene 1
Preset 1: Y=HBE Drive 8 and MV 7 = Scene 2

You couldn't for example change either X or Y to a different amp such as the HB in Scene 3. Whatever you have programmed for X and Y in a given preset is it. Where X&Y are concerned, Scenes just allow you to switch between the two within the preset.
Ok so you are locked in to what your selections are for the X and Y in the preset of origin as well as the settings? I thought it was so much more. Still cool for those looking to do lots of live switching stuff but won't be of much use to me as a session player because I can just manually switch things for successive punch ins/overdubs..

Ok so you are locked in to what your selections are for the X and Y in the preset of origin as well as the settings? I thought it was so much more. Still cool for those looking to do lots of live switching stuff but won't be of much use to me as a session player because I can just manually switch things for successive punch ins/overdubs..

Regular presets still exist and can do it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom