Axe-Fx II Firmware 9 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I can't believe how good my existing Badger 18 preset sounds with 9, and the Badger 30 is going to find a place in my setup somewhere methinks...great power amp modeling, body, and feel in V9 for every amp from clean to higain that I've tried.

The treble/presence is very sweet in V9 and just seems to 'dial in nicer'...lotsa 'ohhhhh, niiiiiice' moments here so far...

I know what you mean for the last few hours I have been playing a bassguy amp playing some chicken picken, man it sounds so good. Now granted it sounded good before, but It just sounds better somehow. Just playing with the MV and drive, gets you into so many different territories, throw a tube screemer in front and bam!!!

Jubilee! Yesssssssss.....

I was just about to shell out for the real deal. Now I have to find something else to spend the money on.....don't tell the wife......

Fractal Audio; Well this is a first. 10 pages of comments about a new major firmware release and not a single "I don't like it compared to the previous version". I suppose it's still early though.

... delay is only because you gave them the options of v.7,v.8 or v.9. in hopes to shut them up. Someone will find something as that's what they do and don't feel normal if they don't. As you say..."it's early".

As with others, I'm finding an overall better tone, clarity, and feel in every amp.
The AC30 sounds unreal.
Everything just sounds better.

I loaded 9.0b with no issues , used AE 317.

Question, my SPLAWN patch amp type got switched for some other amp. I guess that's because of the 3 new Splawns and the AMP reorg.

Which of the 3 new Splawns was the old ( original ) one ?

Question, my SPLAWN patch amp type got switched for some other amp. I guess that's because of the 3 new Splawns and the AMP reorg.

Which of the 3 new Splawns was the old ( original ) one ?
Check the release notes:

All three “gears” of the Splawn Quickrod have now been modeled. The Spawn Fastrod has been renamed “Spawn Q-Rod 3rd”. “Spawn Q-Rod 1st” and “Spawn Q-Rod 2nd” models have been added. All three models now appear in order starting at position 101.

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but here are my impressions:

FW 9.0 loaded fairly quickly, without a hitch :)

I hear *nothing* bad, only improvements in quality and openness. I would say the overall difference is that the sounds seem more 'effortless' - more natural and smoother in the mids and highs, while maintaining a huge amount of natural presence.

*Thank you so much Cliff* for possibly the greatest sonic update to the AFX II since it's inception - Simply Outstanding! I can't wait to figure out how to best utilize the new 'Scenes' functionality....

PS: And Special Thanks for adding the second Pedal Compressor model - I can tell I will be using it a lot for clean sustaining solo sounds!

That is a very good description of what I noticed. Less spike and a rounder feel. The definition (touch dynamics as you mentioned) make everything more full-sounding and a bit more 3D. Great update...

I agree. While not a night and day difference from 8.01a (I wouldn't necessarily want that) it is yet another cumulative improvement in both tone and feel/response. These improvements are particularly noticeable when using my new favorite model the Supro 'Super Trem' (what a monster!). Count me as one more user who feels that the AxeFX II / FRFR is already an improvement over using tube amplifiers and guitar cabs & speakers.

Pretty cool to have just received another stack of new amps and space to store them. ;) The Badger 30 and the Silver Jubilee are going to get a good bit of use here I believe.

I'm really diggin' the new pedal compressor model. It's been a while but this one reminds me of the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer. Is this what it's modeled after?

Aside from the amazing tones and touch response I am my own 'amp tech' fully capable of modding any of my 100 or so amps to sound and respond EXACTLY the way I want them to - and make myself a new amp to save each mod as is without changing the original. Better still I can do the entire job usually in about 15 minutes - a far cry better than dropping the amp off for two or more weeks and hoping the mod(s) meet my expectations. Once again this is the best AxeFX update yet!

I've said it before and it's worth repeating: The AxeFX II is the single best music gear related purchase I have ever made, bar none. Thanks Cliff and FAS team for doing what you do!! :)

I vote +1 for the scene change using simple, direct CC number rather than CC34+value (so i can use a midi mate....).
That would make the scene function usable for guys like me who are running "dumb" MFCs. But there's a downside: if we eat up 8 CC numbers for scenes, that leaves only ten unassigned CC numbers for future enhancements.

Updating with AE was a breeze last nite. Wow, my fingers were delighted to get those subtle tones out of the box, as Radley puts it, "effortlessly"! Thanx. Now on to work with the "scenes" beast. Cheers.

So you're saying AE .317 works fine with V9b?

Nop. I said it's working fine here.
No strange characters no strange settings no corrupted presets, as far as i know.
YMMV. You should be able to update with it easily.

Cheers.

I`m amazed at the NON existing complaints !!

I`ll upgrade tonight, but i have allways got better sounds and feeling of each upgrade. But I like to tweak and find improvements :)

Jubilee! Yesssssssss.....

I was just about to shell out for the real deal. Now I have to find something else to spend the money on.....don't tell the wife......

The Silver Jubilee model sounds great. I think that will be my go to amp model from now on. Just like a real Jubilee, the model has an incredibly responsive preamp, especially the mids. The tone controls are much more responsive than most Marshall amps. Now I don't feel so bad for selling the 2550 and 2555 that I used to own.

If you are into aggressive tones, experiment with the Power Tube Bias. Drop it to, say, 2.00 and you'll get more crossover distortion which adds a nice sizzle. This is partly why 5150s sound the way the do, they're biased cold.

When you say drop it to 2.00, you mean drop it to 0.200, since the bounds are 0 to 1, correct?

Thanks,
Jean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom