Axe-Fx II Firmware 9.0 and MFC-101 Firmware 2.15

No, that would be the 172kb file named "Scenes_Mini_Manual.pfd". This is different. Filename begins with "._". Only 70 bytes and Adobe won't open it. Maybe I got a bad download?

Got that file too. I ignored it and did the update. No issues.

AWWWWW... HELL YEAH! THIS IS SO COOL! THANKS CLIFF & FAS TEAM!!!

HERE ARE THE RELEASE NOTES FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SEE WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT RIGHT NOW:

Added eight “scenes” to each preset. Each scene allows for different combinations of bypass states and X/Y state (if applicable) for the effects. For example, Scene 1 may have everything bypassed while Scene 2 has several effects engaged. Furthermore, Scene 3 may be identical to Scene 2 except that one or more blocks have a different X/Y state. Scenes allow the user to easily switch between various combinations of bypass and X/Y states within a given preset. Furthermore, switching scenes does not disturb the routing so spillover is unaffected. Additionally, each scene stores the output level independently allowing for different volumes between scenes. The output level for the FX Loop is also stored per scene.
Scenes can be manually selected when in the Layout or Recall menu using the ‘A’ Quick Control knob.

NOTE: spillover may be affected if switching between X/Y states if drastically different algorithms exist between the two states. For example, if one scene has a Digital Delay and the next scene uses a Tape Delay, spillover will probably not function correctly as these modes use different algorithms.

Scenes can be changed via MIDI CC (or via Program Change when using preset mapping). There are three CCs available for scene selection: Scene Select, Scene Increment and Scene Decrement. Scene Select allows directly selecting a desired scene via the CC Value. The scene selected is the CC Value plus 1. For example, to select Scene 2 the data value would be 1. Scene Increment and Decrement step through the eight scenes whenever a value greater than 63 on the configured CC is received, wrapping around at the limits. Additionally, mapping mode allows mapping a PC message to not only a preset but also a given scene.

NOTE: When changing scenes via MIDI CC the bypass and X/Y states can revert to the states present when the preset was saved by setting “SCENE REVERT ON CC” to ON in the I/O->MIDI menu. This allows engaging or bypassing various effects in a scene and then reverting to the original state. Changing the scene via Axe- Edit or the front panel does not revert (as then you would not be able to edit scenes without saving prior to changing scenes).

The Global Bypass continuous controller parameter has been replaced with the Scene Select continuous controller parameter since Scene Select can accomplish everything Global Bypass could ever do. Note that using Scene Select in place of Global Bypass will probably select Scene #8 (if the CC has values of 0 or 127). Existing presets will have all blocks engaged in the new scenes so the operation should be identical to Global Bypass.

New power amp modeling with improved dynamic response. This new modeling features improved transformer/plate interaction modeling resulting in better feel and a punchier response. The Supply Sag parameter is more responsive as a result. Additionally, crossover and transformer hysteresis distortion modeling is improved resulting in more overtones when playing softly. This improvescontrolled feedback performance and yields a more aggressive tone at lower Power Tube Bias settings. The Global menu allows the choice of Version 9.xx, 8.xx or 7.xx modeling to suit individual tastes. Note that Version 9.xx is slightly quieter so don’t be swayed by Fletcher-Munson effects when evaluating differences.

Greatly improved cathode follower modeling. The cathode follower modeling now varies the amount of distortion in addition to compression. This results in a more dynamic attack, improved feel and more “punch” and “thunk” (since this also creates low frequency energy into the power amp). The amount of cathode follower affect is controlled, as always, by the COMP parameter in the Amp block. Note that the higher the COMP value, the more effective distortion on sustained notes. Therefore as you increase COMP, you may want to decrease Drive. Also note that excessive values can result in pumping or blocking distortion. Note that the “cathode follower effect” occurs even in common cathode stages as well so even amps that don’t have cathode followers may exhibit some cathode follower-like effect.

Added PICK ATTACK parameter to Amp block. This parameter controls a sophisticated dynamic range processor that operates on leading edge transients. Negative values reduce pick attack while positive values enhance it.

The Amp block Type parameter is now a dedicated page to facilitate selecting the desired type in light of the copious models available. Selection is afforded via the Value knob as well as the Navigation buttons. The list can be sorted numerically or alphabetically with the type of sort being set in the Global menu.

The BOOST switch is now a dedicated knob and also modifiable so it can be activated remotely.

The FAT and BRT switches in the Amp block menu now always display text. When the switch is active the text is highlighted.

The SAT switch function has been added to the Pre page in the Amp block menu under the COMP knob.

Set TMA block Resolution mode to High by default. Also set Reference Source to Input 2 by default.

Compressor block now has two Pedal types. “Pedal 1” is the same as before while “Pedal 2” uses a different algorithm which is smoother and pumps less.

Added Time Offset parameter to Delay block Mono Delay mode. This parameter allows adding up to 100ms of delay to the right wet signal which can be used for widening effects.

Added Badger 30 model based on 30W version of Suhr Badger. This model has been placed in the position formerly held by the Spawn Fastrod model (see below).

All three “gears” of the Splawn Quickrod have now been modeled. The Spawn Fastrod has been renamed “Spawn Q-Rod 3rd”. “Spawn Q-Rod 1st” and “Spawn Q-Rod 2nd” models have been added. All three models now appear in order starting at position 101.

Added “Brit Silver” model based on a 100W Marshall Silver Jubilee.

Added “Spawn Nitrous” model based on a Splawn Nitro with KT-88 power tubes.

Added “FAS Crunch” amp model. This is our take on the ultimate British-sounding amp. More dynamic and open than a Plexi, but with more gain.

Added “Two Stone J-35” amp model based on a Two Rock Jet 35. The amp was modeled in the lead mode with the “Bypass” switch engaged. The Bypass switch bypasses the input tone stack to give a more focused lead sound.

Added “Fox ODS” amp model based on a Fuchs ODS-50.

Added “Hot Kitty” amp model based on a BadCat Hot Cat 30R.

Added “Band-Commander” amp model based on a 1968 Fender Band-Master.

Added “Super Verb” amp model based on a 1964 Fender Super Reverb.

Added “Vibrato-King” amp model based on a Fender Vibro-King.

Added “Gibtone Scout” amp model based on a Gibson GA17RVT “Scout”.

Fixed several incorrect values in Wrecker 1 model.

Numerous MIDI enhancements to support Axe-Edit TNP.

Improved preset switching time and reduced display lag after switching presets.

Fixed incorrect bias value in Spawn Fastrod model.

Fixed unable to access certain parameters in Vocoder block.

Fixed wrong parameter mapping for LF/HF Mic Spacing in Rotary block.

Fixed modifiers do not always copy when copying an effect from a different preset.

Last edited:
One thing i notice is that when you assign a Scene to an IA on the MFC-101, stepping on the IA selects the Scene but stepping on the IA again does not turn off the Scene (return it to scene 1).

Is this how it is suppose to work? Not sure I am clear on how i worded this. sorry.

That's how it's supposed to work.

You can't "turn off" a scene. Just select a different scene. To go back to scene 1 you can always press the preset switch again but that also reloads the preset (i. e. you get an audible dropout), so I prefer to have a dedicated scene 1 switch.

got all of the firmware updated (9.0 and 2.15) but my effects positions got wiped out???
looks like I am going to have to re assign everything. the up down /ince/decr is no longer working either

I'm really loving the Definition setting in the Advanced tab... clears things very nicely! Great work Cliff and company!

New firmware with loads o' new amps!! Welcome news for a great product. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with FW 7 while awaiting a functional version of Axe Edit. I'm a mature and (generally) patient person, so I can deal with it. However, I think more information should flow down to those of us who've been on the edge of our seats, for months, waiting for a chance to check-out the firmware improvements. So Cliff, maybe a screencap or two? A status update every Friday afternoon? I'd sure be grateful.

Is there any purpose for the 70 byte "._Scenes_Mini_Manual.pdf" file packed in the .zip?
The pdf must have been authored or transported from a Mac .... thats a Mac resource fork file ... it identifies the file type for a Mac and would normally not be visible on a Unix based OS - just dump it if you see it on your Windows PC and open the big file.

Sounds like we need to backup the MFC-101 settings before applying its update. Then do we need to do a factory reset on it too?

got all of my pedals re assigned but up/down is still not responding.
looks like a long night ahead of me
on the positive the FAS crunch sounds really good!!! so Yay!

got all of my pedals re assigned but up/down is still not responding.
looks like a long night ahead of me
on the positive the FAS crunch sounds really good!!! so Yay!

I've got the same problem! Looking into it now.

Anyone else have their IA's reset to perform different functions after the MFC update?

I didn't do a factory restore or anything. All other config items were rendered untouched -- I just had to setup all 15 of my IA's again.

I upgraded from 2.13.

If someone else had the issue I'll create a bug report. If it was just me, then I guess it doesn't matter, lol.

Same here. Confused at first but 5 minutes later I was good again!

Back
Top Bottom