Axe-Fx II Firmware 19.01 Public Beta (1)

Dephase is working great for me! It's somewhat subtle , but very noticeable ! I'm also hanging in the 5 range , Sweet!!

I've got de-phase at 0.10 on all my patches (same cabs different amps) and it seems to brighten my tone a touch, and bring out the gain. I was actually going to play with the gain on one of my patches, cause it sounded a little flat live, but now I don't think I'll have too.

I won't say it's the best update ever, (G3 50w plexi bright still takes that cake for me) but I will say it's one of my top 10 "unexpected improvements I didn't even know I needed" updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trb
hey guys,
please help me out understanding the dephase thingy: shouldnt phase only be an issue if we use an IR captured with 2 different mics or 2 different IRs?
The De-phase parameter corrects for the phase issues that occur whenever you close-mic a speaker cab, even if you're only using one mic.

Remember that a guitar speaker is essentially a chunk of hardware twelve inches across. Each point on the speaker generates sound. When your mic is close to the grill, sound from the speaker is coming at it from straight in front of the mic, from parts of the cone above the mic and below the mic, from the right and left sides...

All these parts of the speaker are at different distances from the mic. So the sound from each part arrives at the mic at different times, and that means they're out of phase with each other. The De-phase parameter reduces that out-of-phasiness and smooths out the response, making it sound more like your cab sounds when you're listening at a reasonable distance.

Last edited:
De-phase. I guess that I don't get it. The more that I turn it up the less it sounds like AFX and the more it sounds like COSM.

Seems to get flatter and have less....environment? TBH I've never been a real amp guy. I've had but never really utilized. Have pretty much lived in the land of the IO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

De-phase. I guess that I don't get it. The more that I turn it up the less it sounds like AFX and the more it sounds like COSM.

Seems to get flatter and have less....environment? TBH I've never been a real amp guy. I've had but never really utilized. Have pretty much lived in the land of the IO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then maybe you're turning it up way too high, perhaps? Over on my end it doesn't flatten or cause less "environment" (whatever that actually means - no disrespect there I just have no basis for understanding the term). Rather, it kind of focuses the sound and gets rid of the typical "hiss" I hear when playing through IRs. Turning it up past more than like 5 on my end does cause some negative stuff to happen, but I am only hearing good things at lower levels.

Sure takes a while to dial it up to 5 due to the processing, but I definitely think it makes a difference. It's really hard to describe because it's so subtle. Clarity, less 'fizziness' might be words I would use to try and describe it.

Keep your old cab settings and copy them to X or Y (whichever one you're not using), then set the de-phase on one of them and then go back and forth and compare them.

Reactions: trb
I don't hear that at all. Even at extreme De-phase settings, I still hear the power supply sag. I still hear the phase inverter getting pushed. I still hear bias changes altering the harmonic structure. COSM don't play 'dat.

Would dephase work to flatten / smoothen the response of a mic used to capture an IR in order to add a different mic? For example, if I have an IR captured with a 57 and wanted to mimic an ir captured with a 58, what happens if I dephase the 57ir and add 58 from the mic list? Don't have the axe with me so can't experiment myself

Would dephase work to flatten / smoothen the response of a mic used to capture an IR in order to add a different mic?
De-phase doesn't eliminate the response of the mic. It only reduces the phasing effects caused by mic placement. You'll still hear the voice of the mic you're using.

Last edited:
From an IR procuder point of view you will not see me using this feature. Don't get me wrong. It's a really useful tool and it can make many IRs sound better. The reason I wouldn't use it is that I spend a lot of time making sure that I have the best resolution for my IRs. When we start talking about evening out the IR graphs then it's similar to lowering the resolution of the IR.

I think this is a great future and many people will find it useful. I would assume in a live situation it's a miracle worker especially with FRFR setups. It "should" result in less ear fatigue. :)

My thought about this is more philosophyc than scientific...
I think that in a "modeled field"... (with FRFR , direct etc... involved) there is a kind of breack-even point between the High and deep detailed resolution of the modeled (or sampled or IR-ed) world... and a good sounding thing.
Why this? ... 'coz everything is a repro of the real thing... not the real thing itself
Think about the divisionism in painting art: you can go more "near" the reality when the "modeled" image is far (read: less detailed) from reality depending of the POV of the observer!
Here the "POV of the observer" is the FRFR/direct system wich is somethin different from real amp+cabs+mics+pre+....
So maybe there are some things that needs the best resolution and details we can get... and some other things that are better sounding when some of the details are a bit smoothed out.

From my perspective I honestly don't care about how or why the technology works, it's beyond my comprehension and I simply don't have time in my life for that but that doesn't take anything away from those of you who are interested in these things. The only thing that matters to me is being able to plug my guitar in when I get a chance and enjoy having a wealth of truly fantastic tones to play with and the Axe-FX fulfills that need beyond my expectations and inspires me to play guitar every day. I love the new de-phase parameter btw.

All I can do is offer my sincere thanks and appreciation to Cliff and the whole team at FAS for your efforts which have enhanced my enjoyment of playing to such an extent that I could only dream of a few years ago and my guitar playing abilities have improved as a direct result. Thank you.

First i'd like to say i could not test the Dephase parameter for real as my XL+ is on the road...

But i've looked at Chris video demo'ing it (Twitch), and here is my first impression.
I've always had difficulties finding IRs i liked for HiGain, and always came back to Messiah IRs (specificaly #2).
Now i hear the difference between a stock IR with DePhase at 0.00 and DePhase at 5.00 i immediately heard what i like in Messiah IRs when the parameter is set at 5.00 ! :)
So i guess what i liked and was lookin for was IRs with no near-field phasing effect, and it looks like the new parameter will allow me to use lot more IRs ! :)

Thanks a lot Cliff, it looks like an another essential parameter !
What really amazes me is that i thought we already had reached the tone-nirvana, but goodies never stop coming :p

Last edited:
Loving dephase. It's nice to have control over comb filtering.
That being said, has anyone experimented with the new character type?
Getting some really nice results with the parameters Cliff suggested.

Loving dephase. It's nice to have control over comb filtering.
That being said, has anyone experimented with the new character type?

Yes, I may be jumping the gun, but started to structure my go-to presets using the character type Cliff suggested. I messed with the dephase liked it, but, since i use scenes for all my live presets, would use it when better performance is introduced during switching.

Its funny some are talking about resolution with cab IR's.:?. High resolution is not the best in every case, if ever... its like 96k vs 44.1

use your ears... I don't know about you but I'm always cutting the highs in the cab blocks substantially ....just MHO

...has anyone experimented with the new character type?
The Dynamic Character type is my new favorite. Cliff's suggested settings give a nice midrange push when you spank it. Also try higher frequencies at lower Q with negative Character Amount.

Last edited:
So now the big question (for me) is should I go and buy cab pack 13 and 14, and the new OH v4 collection, OR, should I spend a few days with the thousands of IR's I've already bought from Fractal, ML, OH, etc and play with some dephase parameters ? lol

I ask that part if jest, but also part in truth.

Back
Top Bottom